Premed 101 Forums

Ot/pt Accepted/waitlisted/rejected 2017

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Applied: uOttawa, Western, Toronto, McMaster, Queens, Alberta, Dal (all OT)

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

CGPA: 3.1 (orpas) / 3.55 on 4.3 scale

SubGPA: 3.45 (orpas) / 3.68 on 4.3 scale

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: worked full time for 2 years as an OT assistant in acute care and rehabilitation center with wide variety of population. Now working as a rehab assistant in the community. References should be strong. Volunteered for 6 months in East africa in a rehab clinic. Also volunteered with kids with disabilities throughout undergrad.

I know my GPA is super low compared to all of you.....what do you guys think?

Applied: Alberta, Western, Toronto, McMaster, Queens (all OT)

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

CGPA: 3.22 (orpas)

SubGPA: 3.73 (orpas); 3.66 (Alberta)

My second time applying. I have been working at an inner-city elementary school with special needs children for over 3 years (fulltime). Also, volubteering at a senior care center for over 410 hours. I am hoping my experiences make up for my gpa. I am a BC resident. Don't think I have a competitive gpa for UBC, so didn't bother applying.

Good luck to everyone!!

Applied: UBC, U of A (OT only)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: 86.9% avg. including only 3rd and 4th level classes (as per UBC's grading system)

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

The Statement of Intent was difficult, but I worked on it for a couple months, had several people edit (including an English prof), and finally submitted it the day before it was due. I think it was pretty strong based on my professor's feedback. I have around 700 hours working with children with disabilities. I also pushed my life experiences (as a mature student), hoping that they are looking for well-rounded individuals. I believe my references were also pretty strong, as I have developed very good relationships with them over the course of my degree.

Well, here's hoping for the best all!

Applied: Queen's, McMaster, Western, UofA (all OT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: cGPA: 3.42 & sGPA: 3.78

I've volunteered at a neuro rehab clinic for a year and a half (almost 200 hours total) and the owner/head physio had completed my reference. My academic reference is from a professor who I have remained in contact with after doing well in his class.

This is my second year applying for OT after being unsuccessful last year. I went back to school for an extra semester to boost my grades (took health and gerontology related classes) and I'm hoping that it will help me get further in the application process at least! Good luck to everyone!

Hi all, 

Applied: Dalhousie Pt

Accepted:

Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: cGPa: 3.90/4.3, subGPA: 3.76

Strengths/weakness:

I went to MUN for four years then transferred to Dal because when you transfer schools they reset your GPA. Straight As since I got to Dal but a few courses at MUN are haunting me, dragged my GPA down enough that I am really nervous about getting in or getting an interview.

I've volunteered with about every organization you can think of (Dog Shelters, Canadian Blood Service, a CVD rehabilitation program, Salvation Army) plus I am doing honours, working as a TA and a student athletic trainer. I know that Dal doesn't require honours but everyone I've spoken to who got into Dal pt did honours so I'm hoping it helps. I'm also a newfoundland resident

Does anyone know when Dal PT is doing interviews this year?

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you converting your subGPA to UBC percentage - how are you doing it ? Does your school also give out % and thats what you are using? My school doesn't give out percentage so I just used the UBC conversion table. 3.78 = 81%. But i saw someone say their grades transfered to 94% UBC, when the conversion table maxes out at 90% (4.33, perfect gpa). Someone else had mentioned that they must be ubc students to know their %. I just wanted to ask again because there seems to be quite a few people in here that have done it and I would love to know my actual %. Thanks in advance !

Applied: UBC and UofA (PT)

Accepted: 
Waitlisted:
Rejected: Unofficially rejected from UBC 
GPA: 3.97 for U of A and 87% for UBC. 

I also have 200+ hours working as an in-home care aide with a man with multiple sclerosis, designing and implementing a wheelchair accessible workout program. Going in I felt quite strong about both my references, however I didn't end up getting an interview invite when everyone else did so I am wondering if one of them wasn't as strong as I felt it was going to be. I also have worked as a TA for human anatomy and human physiology for three years now.

I am honestly a little confused on how I didn't get an interview, because I feel like my application was pretty strong overall, I haven't gotten the rejection letter yet but at this point know it isn't coming. I have heard of things like this happening in the past where people with higher GPA's don't get a chance to interview (I calculated my % for UBC by taking the lower percent on every grade scale on the UBC conversion table). I was wondering if anyone knew of this happening, and if so what they did to better themselves for the next application cycle? It's tough because UBC doesn't offer any feedback when people get rejected, but I want to make sure my application is better moving forward! Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)  

Also, congrats to everyone who did get an interview! 

Applied: UBC and UofA (PT)

Accepted: 

Waitlisted:

Rejected: Unofficially rejected from UBC 

GPA: 3.97 for U of A and 87% for UBC. 

I also have 200+ hours working as an in-home care aide with a man with multiple sclerosis, designing and implementing a wheelchair accessible workout program. Going in I felt quite strong about both my references, however I didn't end up getting an interview invite when everyone else did so I am wondering if one of them wasn't as strong as I felt it was going to be. I also have worked as a TA for human anatomy and human physiology for three years now.

I am honestly a little confused on how I didn't get an interview, because I feel like my application was pretty strong overall, I haven't gotten the rejection letter yet but at this point know it isn't coming. I have heard of things like this happening in the past where people with higher GPA's don't get a chance to interview (I calculated my % for UBC by taking the lower percent on every grade scale on the UBC conversion table). I was wondering if anyone knew of this happening, and if so what they did to better themselves for the next application cycle? It's tough because UBC doesn't offer any feedback when people get rejected, but I want to make sure my application is better moving forward! Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)  

Also, congrats to everyone who did get an interview! 

Wow I am very surprised you didn't get an interview, you seem like a strong applicant. I have heard of people with 90% averages getting rejected for PT at UBC which is so strange since there isn't any sort of essay/written part of the application, just GPA and references. Are you an out of province applicant? 

You still have a great shot at U of A I think but I guess my advice would be to keep working on your PT experience (maybe something clinical) and re-evaluate who your references are? Again, it's hard to say since I actually don't understand how you didn't even get an interview.

I got waitlisted last year after somewhat botching the MMI interview and only have an 86% avg. This year I'm not going to take the interview so lightly and really practice.

That being said best of luck with U of A and keep your head up. I would accept you to my PT school! haha

For those of you converting your subGPA to UBC percentage - how are you doing it ? Does your school also give out % and thats what you are using? My school doesn't give out percentage so I just used the UBC conversion table. 3.78 = 81%. But i saw someone say their grades transfered to 94% UBC, when the conversion table maxes out at 90% (4.33, perfect gpa). Someone else had mentioned that they must be ubc students to know their %. I just wanted to ask again because there seems to be quite a few people in here that have done it and I would love to know my actual %. Thanks in advance !

Hey Kenzie92,

Personally, I used my grades from UBC to know my subGPA. From what I can tell, those that stated their UBC percentages without mentioning that it was estimated are most likely from UBC (i.e. the student with the 94%). Otherwise, most people use the lowest mark within the GPA range (i.e. A+ = 90-100 is converted to 90%). From what I know, there is no exact conversion since UBC does not disclose any information regarding conversion from out of province schools. 

Wow I am very surprised you didn't get an interview, you seem like a strong applicant. I have heard of people with 90% averages getting rejected for PT at UBC which is so strange since there isn't any sort of essay/written part of the application, just GPA and references. Are you an out of province applicant? 

You still have a great shot at U of A I think but I guess my advice would be to keep working on your PT experience (maybe something clinical) and re-evaluate who your references are? Again, it's hard to say since I actually don't understand how you didn't even get an interview.

I got waitlisted last year after somewhat botching the MMI interview and only have an 86% avg. This year I'm not going to take the interview so lightly and really practice.

That being said best of luck with U of A and keep your head up. I would accept you to my PT school! haha

Hi KinGuy19, 

I wish I was an out of province applicant, it would make understanding why I didn't get an interview a little bit more understandable! Yeah, I think I am going to work on clinical experience; I have some but unfortunately they don't exactly give you a lot of space to write your experience out, so I put down what I thought was more out of the box and unique, that being working with the man with MS.

I really do appreciate your kind words though, they make me feel a little bit better, and I wish you all the best in the interview! 

Applied: UofT, Western, Mac, Queens (All OT)

Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: s3.69; c3.65

I feel pretty good about it all, I'm a Criminology Honours student which is kind of a weird jump, but my thesis is in forensic neurocognitive psych, and I'm pretty versed in anatomy/physio thanks to my forensic biology courses.

​I also work at a community centre that sometimes deals with individuals of differing neurotypicalities (special olympics and all that), and at a learning disabilities centre teaching literacy to kids.  References are pretty solid I think, one is my boss at the community centre, the other is my thesis advisor.

Does anyone think that they're going to look at a crim degree more harsh than other applicants?

Applied: Mac, UofT (PT)

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: s3.68

I'm extremely worried that my sGPA won't be enough for an interview. If I were to get an interview however, I have over 400 hours working in a PT clinic and 200 hours as a Strength and Conditioning Intern, so I have high quality experiences. Fingers crossed I get an interview.

Applied: UofT, Mac, Queens, McGill (all PT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: cGPA 3.7 sGPA 3.81

I believe my reference letters were relatively strong. 2 from physios I volunteered with and 1 from a university prof that I took several classes with and done extremely well. Accumulated over 475 hours volunteering with the geriatric population in an in-patient hospital. Essays I felt were okay. Goodluck to all applicants!

Applied: UofA, UofT, Queens, McMasters, Western (all OT)

Accepted:

Waitlisted:
Rejected:

GPA: cGPA 3.51 sGPA 3.84

I believe I had relatively strong references, especially one who is an OT that I've volunteered with for a while. I have experience volunteering in a geriatric hospital, retirement home, elementary schools, and in research. I think my personal statements were alright but I guess time will tell.

Good Luck Everyone!!!  :D 

Applied: UofT, Western, Mac, Queens (All OT)

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: s3.7 

I feel pretty good about it all, I'm a Criminology Honours student which is kind of a weird jump, but my thesis is in forensic neurocognitive psych, and I'm pretty versed in anatomy/physio thanks to my forensic biology courses.

​I also work at a community centre that sometimes deals with individuals of differing neurotypicalities (special olympics and all that), and at a learning disabilities centre teaching literacy to kids.  References are pretty solid I think, one is my boss at the community centre, the other is my thesis advisor.

Does anyone think that they're going to look at a crim degree more harsh than other applicants?

Don't worry about a crim degree! I'm in my second year of OT at Mac and I have classmates who did previous degrees in astrophysics, education, nutrition, etc. Diversity is good, you can bring a different lens :)

Applied: Mac, UofT, Queens, Western (all PT)

Accepted:

Rejected:

Waitlisted:

subGPA: 3.82

I'm a mature student (32) with an undergraduate degree in recreation therapy with loads of random interesting life experiences (really I was just unfocused and looking for adventure... hoping that counts in my favour if I get any interviews...lots to draw from). Worked primarily in health and recreation related fields for the last 8 years. I don't have much physio specific experience so while I did a decent job of my essays I might not get looked at for queens/western. I have lots of interview experience and express myself well in person. I also worked for 5 years as a standardized patient (the people who role play for mmis and med school exams) so I am relaxed in that format. I'm really pinning my hopes on getting those interviews from UOfT and Mac. I know the cut-off changes every year and I think I'm right on the line for where it has been the last few years. In the meantime I'm finishing my pre-reqs and getting more shadowing experience in preparation for interviews and to strengthen my application for next years if I don't get in.

Cheers and good luck!

Has anyone applied to UOttawa PT/OT? Has anyone heard back for interviews?

I realize the deadline to ORPAS about GPA stuff was yesterday, but any idea when we will hear for interviews ?

Hello, I'm in the same boat as you. Haven't heard anything back yet though! Still waiting...

Realistically speaking, when do we think Mac will get back to us for interviews?

Both Mac and UofT PT send out first round offers for interviews around the last week of March. Then they have a second date (usually a week later) where they send out more offers if they do not fill all interview spots. 

Archived