Premed 101 Forums

Study Resources For Canadian Medical Schools

Hey, I read a lot of information on useful study/review materials for American med schools such as High Yield, BRS, First Aid, etc... I'm just wondering would these same materials be also useful for Canadian medical schools if I'm planning on applying to only Canadian residencies? What do people in Canadian medical schools usually use for studying other than the slides provided from lectures? Do the study resources vary greatly between school to school? Thanks

Study for what exactly?

My medical school was broken down into blocks covering major systems. from what I understand this is pretty standard across the country and the only thing that varies is the order and combinations of systems covered. To study for block exams I went over my notes and the lecture slides as the exams where comprised of material taught directly from these sources. In fact the only books I bought during undergrad med were Lilly's cardio and that ECG Made Simple book, everything else was covered nicely in class and then I didn't over or understudy. 

For the MCCQE 1 I read Toronto notes as this is what it was designed for. 

I'm not big on text books myself but some people purchase Case Files for specific rotations like internal. I think having pocket references for some rotations can be helpful but again to study for clinical rotations I usually used the notes from lectures provided.

I find with some sources, especially American ones, the emphasis is not always in the right areas and there is just so much variability in how things are practiced it is best to just go with the sources provided.

My 2 cents. 

All you really need is to look at the slides once they're posted and then take your own notes off of them.

I bought a couple of the "made ridiculously simple" books for cheap but only opened them once or twice and they're just sitting on my shelf.

I wouldn't bother buying any books unless you feel you really need another source to get a different perspective from.

Canada is pretty lax on the basic sciences compared to US med schools - for better in most cases, since its nice not to have to cram as much extra minutae into your head knowing you'll forget. All of the typical books for US med schools still apply - but most of the time it will be a bit much for what you'll need(depends on your school though).  Definitely very applicable.  Generally slides are enough, and with "P=MD", even more so. But many of the gold standard reccomendations for specific topics re: US schools, definitely are worth it (especially if you can get them "On the cheap" online.....)

Archived