Premed 101 Forums

Biology Fields With Minimal Chemistry

amnah34

Hello!

I am a high school student and I have an interest to pursue medical school. (Its not an absolute must for me, but something I do want to consider).

I'm having difficulty with chemistry (although, it may just be my teacher, my class had 22 students, and now theres only 6), and I've grown to sadly have a dislike for the subject. I had this same teacher for gr 11 chemistry too, (also gr 10, and gr 9, yay me!!).

I don't want to rule out chemistry completely, because I've only had this one teacher for all of high school, but I feel like its been enough to put me off completely. With that being said, are there any biology fields with minimal chemistry? I've only completed gr 11 biology so far, and as far as I remember, it wasn't chemistry extensive. However, it may not be a good representation of relevant biology fields, because gr 11 was mostly evolution, and animal diversity. 

I did enjoy studying about viruses, and I think genetics is also something I may be interested; although grade 11 was mostly just punnet squares and mendelian genetics, so I'm not sure what more advanced genetics are like. 

Please let me know your thoughts! BTW I specifically hated the calculation aspects in thermochemistry and equilibrium, which is unfortunate, because i would assume alot of that would be relevant in biological systems and processes. 

one last thing: I am also applying to university, your thoughts on Uoft life science??

Thanks everyone!

I hated chemistry too but it is an unavoidable part of medicine and something you need if you are going to study any kind of molecular biology. To make things worse when you get to university it breaks into 3 separate streams all of which you need some background in: general chemistry, organic chemistry, and biochemistry.

Sorry to break it to you but its just one of those pills you have to swallow. Maybe try a tutor or taking by distance learning if you are really not having a good time with your current teacher.

GL

Archived