Premed 101 Forums

Upgrading Gpa?

Hey everyone. I'm in my 4th year of undergrad to be graduating this April. If I finish this year strong, my application GPA would be around ~3.64. I would like to upgrade my GPA and know that I require an academic year that is atleast 18 credits for it to apply to my GPA. Would I just have to apply for another degree, say sciences, and take 3 courses a semester? Or can I go apply as open studies?

Thanks!

Your best bet would be starting a second undergrad. It would only take you 2 years to complete assuming courses from your first transfer over, etc. 

You won't necessarily need to complete it, except you have no reason not to. If you apply in Oct 2017, you won't start med school until september 2018 if you are accepted. If you do spring/summer/fall/winter classes, you could probably finish all the requirements by the end of august 2018 anyways. It definitely wouldn't hurt you to have another degree if you're going to all the trouble of doing an extra year anyways. 

There really isn't a point for me to complete the full degree, as my current degree carries me into a career that pays well and opens lots of doors for personal development. I also have many years of patient care under my belt and hat will continue as I work in my licensed profession. I'm really only looking to do a year or two max to meet the 18credit requirement each year and upgrade my GPA. I just don't know if I'm able to do the 1 year and call it quits once I'm satisfied, or if I would have to maintain active registration for a following year while my med app is in.

^you're saying that you can finish a 2 year second UG in 1 year if you take fall/winter/spring/summer.....thats doubtful..

It is definitely doable, there are 6 total terms between april 2017 and the end of summer 2018. I know people who have done it. 

There really isn't a point for me to complete the full degree, as my current degree carries me into a career that pays $45/hr and opens lots of doors for personal development. I also have many years of patient care under my belt and hat will continue as I work in my licensed profession. I'm really only looking to do a year or two max to meet the 18credit requirement each year and upgrade my GPA. I just don't know if I'm able to do the 1 year and call it quits once I'm satisfied, or if I would have to maintain active registration for a following year while my med app is in.

It sounds like you should be able to just do the minimum required 18 credits for a year. However, this is really a question you should be asking each individual admissions office, as different universities calculate GPA differently and may have slightly different requirements that you could take into consideration. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived