Premed 101 Forums

Knowledge On Canadian (And Other) Health Care Systems For Interviews

cookacola

Hey guys. This is my first time applying so I can't say I know too much about the types of questions asked in traditional or MMI interviews.

I'm wondering how much knowledge is required about how the Canadian healthcare system works and how it compares to other systems? I would say I know a general amount and likely more than the average person, but I've never taken university courses on the subject like other people I know.

Thanks for any insight

I recall having the same concern as you and as far as I remember it has never come up during med or residency interviews. I would invest more time in Canmeds roles. Beyond knowing that we have a mostly public system where the provinces and federal government split the cost I don't think there is much else to know. Certainly no one expects you to understand referral systems or billing methods. Know that most physicians provide services on a fee for service basis but there are some who are salaried mostly at academic and smaller centers.

I wouldn't rush out and take a course comparing different international systems or anything to prepare for interviews.

GL

I recall having the same concern as you and as far as I remember it has never come up during med or residency interviews. I would invest more time in Canmeds roles. Beyond knowing that we have a mostly public system where the provinces and federal government split the cost I don't think there is much else to know. Certainly no one expects you to understand referral systems or billing methods. Know that most physicians provide services on a fee for service basis but there are some who are salaried mostly at academic and smaller centers.

I wouldn't rush out and take a course comparing different international systems or anything to prepare for interviews.

GL

Thanks a lot for the response! This is very helpful (and has calmed a bit of my nerves haha)

GL

What would you suggest knowing about the Canmeds roles? Is it just showing how we have demonstrated the Canmeds roles through our extra-curricular activities?

Archived