Premed 101 Forums

Starting this forum for anyone with questions...

And I guess I'll start it off:

Is anyone else having problems logging into mosaic? I've tried for 2 months now and the page just won't load. I've tried on multiple devices and web browsers (FireFox and Safari). Is there a problem with the server?? Thanks

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey danijaq!  Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question, but I noticed that the website says that the supplementary application will become available in mid-February.  Maybe that's why? You can also call the admissions office just to be safe!

EDIT: I am having the same problem as well.  When I try to log in, an error message comes up saying that the page won't load.  I plan to try again in a few days, and then call.  Hopefully we'll be able to log in soon!

Hi guys,

I just wanted to note that I've never had a problem logging onto mosaic. I followed the email directions to activate a Mac ID, and I've been able to log on and check my application status ever since. Also, I use google chrome.

I would suggest getting in touch with Mac or IT if the problem persists, especially if you'd like to confirm that they receive your transcripts by Feb 1st!

Hi guys,

I just wanted to note that I've never had a problem logging onto mosaic. I followed the email directions to activate a Mac ID, and I've been able to log on and check my application status ever since. Also, I use google chrome.

I would suggest getting in touch with Mac or IT if the problem persists, especially if you'd like to confirm that they receive your transcripts by Feb 1st!

Thanks, PA306!  I should have updated, but I did end up being able to access Mosaic the next day.  In regards to the transcripts, do yours still say "initiated"? :)

Thanks, PA306!  I should have updated, but I did end up being able to access Mosaic the next day.  In regards to the transcripts, do yours still say "initiated"? :)

That's good! As of yesterday, my transcript status says "completed". 

I was wondering if any past applicants have info on the supplementary app due date. I know that we receive access to it in mid-February, but roughly how many weeks later is the deadline to submit it?

I thought it was a little odd that access to the supplementary app and the due dates aren't stated on the website, and we don't even find out until next month. 

That's good! As of yesterday, my transcript status says "completed". 

I was wondering if any past applicants have info on the supplementary app due date. I know that we receive access to it in mid-February, but roughly how many weeks later is the deadline to submit it?

I thought it was a little odd that access to the supplementary app and the due dates aren't stated on the website, and we don't even find out until next month. 

Ok, thank you!  Mine still says "Initiated", but I'm guessing it takes a while to process/update.

I was also confused about their wording in regards to the supplementary application due date.  My interpretation is that it's due on February 21st, with the fee.  If it comes out in mid-February, that only gives us about a week to complete it, though.  Hopefully someone else can confirm more definitively.

Just some information that was useful to me:

I emailed the McMaster PA program and I can confirm that supplementary application will be emailed out mid-February. On Feb 21, the online submission (through Mosaic) of the supplementary application as well as the fee (by check or money order) is due. 

On the topic of transcripts, I emailed both McMaster and OUAC. If you a submitting your transcript to McMaster through OUAC, make sure you have indicated in the transcript request for "immediate" submission, rather than end of Fall, etc. OUAC is backlogged on transcript requests so it may take a week from the time of the transcript request for them to send it out. McMaster also needs another 5 business days to process the transcripts. Good news is that McMaster will see the time stamp when you put in the transcript request, so as long as this is before Feb 1 you will meet the deadline even though your Mosaic profile still says the transcript request is "initiated" rather than "completed" on Feb 1. 

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone been emailed access to the supplementary application? I'm still waiting but I thought it is due Feb 21. Or is that just the application fee? Thanks.

I called their office to inquire about that last week, and they said they'll be emailing access to the supplementary application in late February. The fee is still due on the 21st. I hope that helps! :)

Does anyone else still have their transcript status as Initiated? And do we just make our payment on the mosaic site under "make payment"? It says I have no outstanding fees due...honestly the McMaster portal is a bit of a mess.

My transcript says completed. The payment can be made via cheque or money order, mailed to their office (as per their website: https://fhs.mcmaster.ca/physicianassistant/prospective_students.html).

• 2 weeks later...

For the people who have completed CASPER, did you do anything to prepare before writing it? I'm a little nervous about the 1 hour time limit.

I was planning on reviewing my resume and writing notes about experiences I've had that relate to PA, but I'm not sure if this would be enough. I've also heard that CASPER (for Mac med at least) is like an online MMI, so perhaps there is no way of "studying" for it?

For the people who have completed CASPER, did you do anything to prepare before writing it? I'm a little nervous about the 1 hour time limit.

I was planning on reviewing my resume and writing notes about experiences I've had that relate to PA, but I'm not sure if this would be enough. I've also heard that CASPER (for Mac med at least) is like an online MMI, so perhaps there is no way of "studying" for it?

When I completed the CASPer, I read Doing Right, and did some self-reflection relating to my experiences (volunteer, work, personal, etc.) and what I learned from them. I believe the entire test was only 90 minutes.  Some people don't prepare at all and feel good after writing it, but I did find that my preparation helped me.  

I was surprised to see the layout of the supplementary application be so similar to CASPer, especially given the sample questions on the PA website and the 1-hour time limit/question.  Does anyone know what types of questions we can expect?  Are they mainly personal in nature? 

Due to the confidential nature of the application, part of the agreement is that you are not to disclose information about the questions. I think the point of McMaster doing CASPER this year is that thy don't want you to prepare. They want your raw, honest answers. I will say that although it is titled "CASPer" it is VERY different from traditional CASPers. Completely different format. I really didn't think there was anything I could to do to prepare since the questions varied incredibly from my expectations. But I think that was the point. Self-reflection on who you are and what you've done is the only thing I'd say would be useful preparation. I found that there was more than enough time to complete the answers. Good luck!

Has anyone that has completed the supplementary application checked the status of their application? Mine still says "Initiated" for the supp app and that my application is incomplete. Anyone know if this is normal?

Mine says the same, and that the status will be updated 3-4 weeks after the deadline.  Hope that helps!

How did you guys find the supplementary application? I was really taken back by the questions they asked, and pretty much took the full hour for most of them!

Also, I didn't like how there wasn't a character count or an automatic cut-off if you passed 1500 characters <_<

I found that 2 of them were expectable but the other 2 I was like ........ I second what you say about th character count! How were we supposed to know how many characters we were typing?! I tried to see if it would cut off but you're right, it wouldn't. I hope we don't get duductions if we were over...

Haha I think I know exactly the questions you're referring to  :P.  I honestly don't think I did as well on the first one, but I felt more confident with the rest of them. Quite the experience!

And I completely agree. If we went over, would it really be our fault for not knowing what 1500 characters looks like?! I hope that's something they change for future applicants.

I agree, the questions were not what I was expecting, but I had fun with them!  I was also expecting there to be a character counter that would notify us when we had reached 1500 characters, so I was a bit confused as to how we were supposed to know when to stop.  I also wasn't sure if the 1500 included spaces or not (which makes a big difference!).  I would like to think that they won't deduct marks if we did go over.  It's certainly nice to have it done!

I found that 2 of them were expectable but the other 2 I was like ........ I second what you say about th character count! How were we supposed to know how many characters we were typing?! I tried to see if it would cut off but you're right, it wouldn't. I hope we don't get duductions if we were over...

I agree, the questions were not what I was expecting, but I had fun with them!  I was also expecting there to be a character counter that would notify us when we had reached 1500 characters, so I was a bit confused as to how we were supposed to know when to stop.  I also wasn't sure if the 1500 included spaces or not (which makes a big difference!).  I would like to think that they won't deduct marks if we did go over.  It's certainly nice to have it done!

Hey guys, thought I'd share that I emailed them about this earlier and they said that since I didn't encounter a submission error that means the submission was under the 1500 character limit  :)

Archived