Premed 101 Forums

Full Course Load Problem

maaj123

Hi,

I have a full course load problem as the title suggests :)

Since I'm doing a double major, my school forced me to take a 0.5 (1 semester) statistics course, and a 1.0 (2 semester or full year) statistics course for my other major. I had asked them if I could make due with only the longer one, but they said I have to take both.

Since both are basic statistics courses and the content somewhat overlaps, the two courses are in exclusion and therefore I was only awarded the 1.0 credit for the longer course and not for the shorter one. I took both courses last year from sept to april.

My question is, does this mean I don't have a full course load for last year and only have 4.5 credits? Or will medical schools still consider me to have taken a full course load because I still technically did 5 credits, just 0.5 doesn't count toward my degree at my school. I still put the course down in OMSAS.

Please advise. Thanks!

Hi,

I have a full course load problem as the title suggests :)

Since I'm doing a double major, my school forced me to take a 0.5 (1 semester) statistics course, and a 1.0 (2 semester or full year) statistics course for my other major. I had asked them if I could make due with only the longer one, but they said I have to take both.

Since both are basic statistics courses and the content somewhat overlaps, the two courses are in exclusion and therefore I was only awarded the 1.0 credit for the longer course and not for the shorter one. I took both courses last year from sept to april.

My question is, does this mean I don't have a full course load for last year and only have 4.5 credits? Or will medical schools still consider me to have taken a full course load because I still technically did 5 credits, just 0.5 doesn't count toward my degree at my school. I still put the course down in OMSAS.

Please advise. Thanks!

you and I obviously go to the same (annoying) school UofT?

On my transcript for the fall term it shows the 5 courses I took, along with their associated weights (0.5 each) and all of them have marks. The only thing is beside the 0.5 weight statistics course it says extra, and the total credit earned for the semester is 2.0 as opposed to 2.5 since my school wont let me use the half year statistics towards my degree because I already took a 1.0 needed for my other major.

The course is there, it has a weight, name and mark. Only difference is it says EXT beside it to represent its an extra credit that the university acknowledges I took, and accepts it for my major, but not towards the 20 credits I need to graduate (which isn't a problem since I will have more than that anyways).

Archived