Premed 101 Forums

U Of Alberta Interview Invites/regrets 2017

Saw this being started on the UoT thread as there wasn't one created yet, so I figured I'd do the same here as interview invite dates are coming out soon. 

Please post ONLY invites / regrets.

It will make it easier for everyone if you guys follow this format as usual:

Result: Invite / Reject

Time Stamp: Date & Time

Interview Date: 
wGPA:

Year: UG, Masters, PhD

MCAT: 
ECs: 
Geography :
 IP/OP?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please don't spam the different forums with the exact same thread. UofT started theirs because invites have already started going out for MD/PhD interviews, but that doesn't mean you should spam the Western, Queens, AND UofA areas with a copy and pasted thread right now and make our hearts all skip a beat.

Please don't spam the different forums with the exact same thread. UofT started theirs because invites have already started going out for MD/PhD interviews, but that doesn't mean you should spam the Western, Queens, AND UofA areas with a copy and pasted thread right now and make our hearts all skip a beat.

This. I wonder if the Mods can delete them so we can add them appropriately as each school's invites/rejects are released? 

It looks like the application website had an announcement a couple days ago.

Subject
Interview Notifications

We plan to notify applicants of interview decision the week of February 6, 2017. Notice will be sent to applicant's UofA email account.

Timestamp
2017-01-25 08:56

Hi guys,

In regards to verifiers, if they are unreachable, does the school contact us to provide alternate contact information?

I am concerned in that I understand that if a verifier does not respond on time, it jeopardizes your application.

So, I am a little worried that one of my verifiers may not respond by the time they give out interview decisions (this next week).

Hi guys,

In regards to verifiers, if they are unreachable, does the school contact us to provide alternate contact information?

I am concerned in that I understand that if a verifier does not respond on time, it jeopardizes your application.

So, I am a little worried that one of my verifiers may not respond by the time they give out interview decisions (this next week).

They would have contacted you

It's out! I guess no one is awake at this time?

Result: Invite!! (Really didn't think UofA would like me)

Time Stamp: 8:03AM

Interview Date: March 18th, 8AM (dang)

wGPA: 3.83

Year: 4th

MCAT: 129/130/130/129

ECs: Maybe they are good to account for my lower OOP gpa? PM me for details!

Geography: OOP

Good luck to everyone else. Super excited to visit UofA!

For those of you who received regrets, keep your head up. I'm battling a rough academic start (GPA of around 2.5/4 in my first 3 years before I switched to another degree). I thought medicine would never be an option for me and now I'm interviewing for my dream career. You can do it if you want it badly enough!

Result: Invite

Time Stamp: February 6, 2017, 08:18

Interview Date: March 19, 2017

wGPA:3.5

Year: Master's

MCAT: 128/127/129/127

ECs: Above average. 6 years first aid volunteering, mentored two undergraduate research students, TA, two simultaneous executive roles in the largest student group at my university,one medicical science publication, one medical science review, one ethics publication, 10+ conference abstracts, work as research associate, 7 years of mountaineering, a few months shadowing in two medical specialities, major leadership role in my fraternity as an undergrad, student government as an undergrad.

Geography : IP

Mind blown. I've watched my EC scores creep upwards each year, and cautiously suspected I might be in the running for an interview if the trend continued. I guess I was right.

Still, mind completely and utterly blown that I've been granted this precious opportunity.

Time Stamp: February 6, 2017, 08:04 am
Interview Date: March 18, 2017, 8 am 
wGPA: 3.82
Year: 4th year UG
MCAT: 129/129/130/130 (518)
ECs: Likely my strongest section of my application. Very long term, very varied. Not the typical premed stuff, more things I just loved doing. PM for details.

Congratulations to all that made it. I'm excited and extremely nervous for this crazy opportunity.

Time Stamp: February 6, 2017, 08:04(checked it at 8:40)
Interview Date: Feb 26, 2017 online. March 18, 2017 in person.
GPA: 4.0
Year: 2nd year
MCAT: 513: 129/127/126/131
ECs: Hard to say. Volume wise(in terms of hours) I think its definitely above average, especially for my age(I think). A lot of long term church volunteering, youth leadership, children leadership, AV technician, audio/FoH engineer, some tutoring, coached a junior high badminton team, Grade 8 RCM piano(for whatever that's worth), etc. Not super unique or super hardcore, but the hours I've put into them are quite a lot.

Final thoughts: I wasn't happy with my MCAT because I was expecting at least a 516. I was scoring 512's on NS, and doing well on the practice AAMC material. I had never gotten below a 128 on B/B, yet I got a 126 on the actual. So I was a little apprehensive about my chances with my MCAT, especially when the stats for the 2/3 IP pool admitted for 2016 average was a freakin' 520. As for my EC's/personal stuff, I thought I had a pretty good shot. I speak 3 languages, lots of long term volunteering stuff in many different areas, decent amount of leadership, etc. The only thing that concerned me about it was that none of it was particularly unique or super high level. No involvement with student government, no scientific publications, nothing major. Just everyday community volunteering.

Time Stamp: February 6, 2017, 08:04 am Alberta time
Interview Date: March 18, 2017
wGPA: 4.00
Year: 4th year UG
MCAT: 525 (132/130/132/131) 
ECs: Athletics, volunteering, music, student leadership, visual arts, etc. Most of my ECs were non-traditional premed experiences. Message me if you'd like more details. 

I'm unsure if I'll accept my interview request, so good luck to all those that are interviewing! 

Interview Date: March 18 2017

GPA: 3.76

Year: Completed Undergrad, no graduate school

MCAT: 521 (132/126/131/132)

ECs: I always thought they were pretty good as far as undergrad students went, but I never got over 30 on the NAQ score for UBC. Never got interview offers from U of C last or this year. Didn't get an offer for an interview last year at the U of A. 

It's just reassuring. That was my third MCAT attempt, got 31 and 516 the other two times. To those of you discouraged, keep it up! Be persistent. Never thought the U of A would send me an interview

Geography: IP

Time Stamp: 8:04AM Mountain Time

Interview Date: March 18th (afternoonish)
wGPA: 3.92

Year: 4th

MCAT: 506
ECs: Lots of unique stuff: traveling, sailing, overseas volunteer work for a year, life guarding, community volunteering, lab research, etc. 

​Congratulations to everyone who got an interview. My profile shows that the MCAT isn't everything - pursue volunteer activities that you have a passion for and chances are it will eventually pay off! 

Time Stamp: 8:04 AM 

Interview Date: March 18 

GPA: 3.72

Year: Finished Master's

MCAT: 509 (127/126/128/128)

ECs: Pretty significantly above average based on my previous years' score at U of A... university athletics, lots of research (multiple pubs & presentations), CIHR master's scholarship, decent amount of ongoing volunteering

Geography: IP

Result: Reject

GPA: 3.95

Year: 5th year UG (BIO/PSYC double degree)

MCAT: 525 (130/132/132/131)

ECs: Decent I think... a few years of research with multiple posters, leadership in a couple of clubs, TA for upper-level courses, lead volunteer at a hospital, tutoring, a summer working at a hospital in Kenya, a year long service experience in Sweden, etc). 

Curious to see what feedback I get when they send that out. Congrats to everyone who got an invitation though!!! :) 

Result: Reject

GPA: 3.95

Year: 5th year UG

MCAT: 513

ECs: I think they are pretty good, I commented them in a different thread a while ago.  Athletics, volunteering, and lots of interpersonal work experience.

Bummer, I was hoping to get an interview this year.  Oh well, back to the drawing board and time to consider an MCAT retake!

Archived