Premed 101 Forums

U Of Calgary Interview Invites/regrets 2017

Saw this being started on the UoT thread as there wasn't one created yet, so I figured I'd do the same here as interview invite dates are coming out soon. 

Please post ONLY invites / regrets.

It will make it easier for everyone if you guys follow this format as usual:

Result: Invite / Reject

Time Stamp: Date & Time

Interview Date: 
wGPA:

Year: UG, Masters, PhD

MCAT: 
ECs:

Essays:
Geography :
 IP/OP?

Result: Invite 

Time Stamp: Jan 24 - 2:40pm MST

Interview Date: 
wGPA: 3.79
Year: Graduated Masters

MCAT: 509 (126 CARS)
ECs: I think they were above average... lots of research (3 pubs, 1 first author), student athlete, quite a bit of volunteering

Geography : IP

Result:Reject

Time Stamp: Jan 24 - 2:40pm MST

wGPA: 3.72

Year: Graduated in 2015 with a BScN

MCAT: 504 (124/129/123/128) (yeah I know... weakling in the sciences)

ECs: I had a really hard time with this and it sunk me I'm thinking. Average leadership and volunteering no research experience, but clinical experience 1 year ER nursing and 6 months ICU.

Geography : IP

Good luck everyone who did get invited!!! See all my fellow rejected peeps next year

Result: Regrets
wGPA: 3.75
Year: Graduated Bachelors in 2015
MCAT: 509 (126 CARS)
ECs: Helped prepare Fort Mac for safe occupation again for 2 months, big brothers for 2 years, hospital volunteering, homeless shelter, raised 50k with a cancer run comittee, aboriginal volunteering, badminton coach, a ton more (30+ UBC NAQ).
Geography: IP 

y tho :(

Took the MCAT 3 times for my Verbal score alone. I always got a 9/126. With 0 practice or with 300+ passages worth of practice. Always a 9. A cruel joke. But I made a vow to never retake the MCAT again. It will always be a 9. 

Interview Date: 
wGPA: 3.56

MCAT: 509 (128 CARS)
ECs: Lots, must be above average, NP in a First Nations primary care clinic, volunteering, national conferences, sports etc

Super excited, does anybody know if we get to see our score before the interview to know what we are going in with.

Time Stamp: Jan 24 - 1:50pm PST

Interview Date: N/A
wGPA: ~3.85

Year: BSc. Complete

MCAT: 512 (128 CARS)
ECs: Likely above average
, UBC NAQ last year ~35/50. Probably should have spent more time writing Top 10.
Geography : OOP

Congrats to all those who received invites! :)

Time Stamp: Jan 24 - 4:30pm EST

Interview Date: N/A
wGPA: 3.96

Year: BSc. 4th year

MCAT: 515
ECs: Co-op placement, Club Leaderhip x2, Top 20 highest GPA award,Languages, Vocals, Research Volunteering

This was a huge surprise to me, after 3 straight rejections I wasn't expecting anything for this cycle. My EC's aren't particularly strong, but I think what made them stand out (if they did and weren't completely carried by my GPA/MCAT) were the way I tried tying them to my personal development. I didn't expect to get this invite at all even when I applied, but I'm beyond happy the way this played out. I got a score of 20 for NAQ from UBC if its of any reference to you all, by the way. Best of luck to everyone!

wGPA: 4.0
Year: 4th 

MCAT: 128 CARS
ECs: Varsity basketball, 1 publication + 1 submitted first author, coaching 2 years, volunteering with those with special needs, awards for basketball/top 5% GPA, qualitative research with caregivers, sponsoring families at holidays 4 years, etc.

Essays: Thought they were really well done.
Geography : oop

A little shook by this one oh well. 

Interview Date: 

wGPA: 3.56

MCAT: 509 (128 CARS)

ECs: Lots, must be above average, NP in a First Nations primary care clinic, volunteering, national conferences, sports etc

Super excited, does anybody know if we get to see our score before the interview to know what we are going in with.

Nope. You only get to see your score if you are rejected (scores are released after all spots in the class are claimed). If you get in you never find out what your score was.

Time Stamp: 2:41 pm Jan 24

Interview Date: 
wGPA: 3.95

Year: 4th year UG 

MCAT: 514 

ECs: Weak in my opinion - changed how I wrote the Top 10 Experiences - maybe that had an impact?

Just soaking it all in still, congrats to those who received invite  :) now the real struggle begins

Time Stamp: 2:39 pm Jan. 24th

Interview Date: Undecided
wGPA: 3.93

Year: UG

MCAT: 506 - 126/127/127/126
ECs: Probably at least average? lots of lab work, volunteering, unique experiences, etc. 

Essays: Spent forever writing them. Edited countless times. 

I feel for all you guys who didn't get an interview, I'm amazed I got one with the way my MCAT went - SO there is hope if some parts of your application aren't perfect! 

Result: Invite!

Time Stamp: 14:40

Interview Date: We'll see!

wGPA: 3.86

Year: B.Sc.

MCAT: 129 CARS

ECs:Probably a bit above average? Hard to know for sure. Hospital + Sport + Music + Community Involvement.

Essays: Written spontaneously, focusing on how Top 10 made me a strong contender

Best of luck for everyone! Let the real deal begin...

Result: Invite!

Time Stamp: 4:47

Interview Date: gonna get into that scheduler ASAP on the 27th
wGPA: 3.87

Year: BSc., Professional degree, been practicing allied health profession for 6-7 years

MCAT: 510 (129,127,128,126) it's been over a decade since I've taken those science courses!
ECs: extensive, some with years of commitment and thousands of hours, a few publications, LOTS of healthcare experience

Essays: I think they're great.  This is a strange question; don't we all feel this way about our essays?
Geography :
 IP

what a relief! I feel so blessed to make it to this point.  Congrats to everyone with an invite.  To everyone else, just keep going.

Nope. You only get to see your score if you are rejected (scores are released after all spots in the class are claimed). If you get in you never find out what your score was.

Thanks, here's hoping I never find out my score.

If you are accepted but turn down your offer you will also be able to check your preinterview and interview scores.

Result: Invite!

GPA: 3.86

MCAT: 502 (124 CARS).... lol

Year: B.Sc. completed

EC's: I think my they are my strong point. I spent a good 100hrs editing reviewing and rewriting 4 full-year undergrad research projects and one NSERC USRA summer research job, 2 publications, lots of long-term leadership volunteer focus on underprivileged communities. A couple unique items, and a decent reason for my low MCAT score. 

Geography: IP

Result: Reject
Time Stamp: Jan 24 - 2:51pm MST
wGPA: 3.5
Year: Graduated Masters + working in health care
MCAT: 510 (127 CARS)
ECs: a bit above average? UBC NAQ ~30. Lots of research (pubs/presentations/conferences), solid amount of volunteering (clinical/community/abroad/marginalized populations), music performance/recording, some sports, leadership in student organizations... PM me if interested.

:( fairly disappointed. I'll have to revisit the writing/wording of my top 10 for my next app.

Congrats to all those with an invite!! Good luck at your interviews.

Result: Invite 
Time Stamp: 01/24/2017 4:30pm
wGPA: 3.98
Year: 3rd Year UG
MCAT: 519 - 130 CARS
ECs: Nothing special, mainly volunteering and working with kids. I think how I wrote my Top 10 must have had a great impact. 

Did not expect this at all and very humbled! Best of luck to everyone! 

Archived