Premed 101 Forums

Interviews 2017 Invite/reject

INVITE!! i cant believe it I'm so happy! 

Date Stamp: 24 Jan
Stream: English
wGPA: 3.95
Current year: Masters
ECs: well rounded i think? Research, pubs, volunteering, leadership in clubs, some conferences,etc

Casper: I prepared extensively and overall thought it went well. Some answers were longer than others because of time issues.

Invite

Date Stamp: 24/01/2017 - 3:45 PM
wGPA: 3.98
Current year: 3rd year
ECs: Pretty extensive. I think the main thing is that I've been doing a good mix for a long period of time. Mix of leadership roles, research (no pubs), ECAs (on a dance team, theatrical experience, hospital volunteering, exec of a few clubs, etc. - mainly just fun things I love doing/do to relax), few summer jobs (camp director, bartender), and lots of awards (mostly based on leadership or high grades)

Casper: Honestly, thought I did terrible (not well thought-out answers) but didn't put any "red flags"

INVITE (I honestly still can't believe it)  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: 
Date Stamp: 3:24:18 pm, Jan 24, 2017 (How can I forget)
wGPA: 3.94 (maybe higher with the weighting)
Current year: 4th year (1st time applying, just took the pre-reqs)
ECs: 1st year - did it for resume :( . 2nd year onwards - did it for myself, followed my passion. Creative writing, guitar, spoken word poetry, dancing, LOTS OF RESEARCH and PUBS. LOTS OF VOLUNTEERING with brain injury population (brain interests me). That's it. 

Casper: I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS TEST. I don't know how I did (because no scores) but I truly enjoyed writing it. I got a lot of positive feedback for my answers when I did tests with prep companies, groups and friends. 

Message me if you want more details about anything! If I end up getting selected, I'm so down to help the pre-meds with their ABS, CASPER and interview prep. I'll give it all back <3 GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE. KEEP UP THAT SMILE AND SPIRIT. I promise, it'll all work out at the end. 

Invite
Date Stamp: 24/01/2017 - 12:06 PST 
wGPA: 3.99
Current year: 3rd year
ECs: Whenever I think of my EC's, I think 'meh.' My EC's most are quite diverse, but no notable long term commitments. Some academic awards, two research terms, ~200+ hours hospital volunteering, some factory work (as bad as it sounds), etc. I think I did really well in the fact that I didn't view any activity I've done as being useless in my application. I pretty much put everything I have done a reasonable extent of time since Grade 11. For example, I put 300 hours of guitar even though I now play quite infrequently. I even put my experience having to coordinate a 911 call atop a mountain in the summer (not really an activity but I still put it), which was about a 2 hour experience. Babysitting was another I put, even though it is infrequent as well.

Casper: Went by so quick, I hardly remember. I tried to connect a lot of them to personal experience but I don't think I did astounding by any means.

Congrats to every too, and all that put in the work to apply. Keep it up!

INVITE
Date Stamp: 24/01/2017 - 03:01 PM
wGPA: 3.97

Current year: 3rd Yr UG 
ECs: Nothing too special, but lots of volunteering and working with children

Casper: Felt tight on time throughout, but I guess it turned out decent enough for an invite at McMaster too 

Rejection
Date Stamp: 25/01/2017 - 4:22 AM/PM
wGPA: 3.9
Current year:3rd year undergrad
ECs: I think pretty unique and diverse. Lacking any publications or serious research, just volunteering to collect data for research.

Casper: Thinking that this might be the reason given that I didn't get into McMaster either (probably didn't get in there due to low CARS mark too).

Invite!! Wasn't expecting this one, I'm thrilled and incredibly flattered!
Date Stamp: 24/01/2017 - 3:42 PM
wGPA: 3.97ish? (Hurray for that w!)
Current year: 4th year
ECs: PM me for details. My advice is to choose things you're passionate about and stick to them! 

Casper: I didn't prepare and thought it was a little rough. Felt comfortable with the questions, but timing was poor and often didn't answer the last section. Must have gone well enough!

I apologize to those who didn't receive an invite this year. I've been there and it's devastating. However, don't give up on your goals! If you want it badly enough and are 100% committed to achieving your goal you will get there eventually. The journey towards medicine encourages you to grow and become the best that you can be, let that help drive you.

REGRETS 
Date Stamp: 24/01/2017- 4:22PM
wGPA: 3.89 
Current year:3rd year UG
ECs: conference presentation, 1 pub submitted, tutor, president of clubs, research assistant, accessibility services mentor, (too) many exec positions

Casper: Thought it was okay.. didn't do that much practice

Historically, Ottawa requires you to have a really good GPA for interviews so I didn't really expect anything. Good luck to everyone if you got an interview! If not, don't lose hope yet!

Reject

Date Stamp: Jan 24 - 4:38 PM
wGPA: 3.90

cGPA: 3.87 (1st: 3.77, 2nd: 3.86, 3rd: 3.97)

MCAT: 518: 129/127/130/132 (97th percentile)
Current year: UG 4th year
ECs: Pretty diverse. Intramural sports, research at McMaster Department of Paediatrics (publication in process), gospel choir, volunteer at hospitals/schools/retirement homes, math/science tutor, piano teacher, musicals, juggle 2 part-time jobs since last summer, shadowed optometrist, and so on.

Casper: Thought it went okay. Spent about 2 weeks preparing, getting my typing speed up. 

Really starting to feel pressured after already rejected from interviews at Mac and NOSM. Only need to hear from Queen's and UofT (Although I applied, I'm pretty sure Western is already out of the picture with 127 CARS). Really hoping to even just get 1 interview this cycle... 

Rejection

Date Stamp: Jan 24, 4:26PM
wGPA: think it's a 3.92, but not sure if I calculated correctly. cGPA is a 3.94
Current year:3rd year, 4th year, UG complete, Masters, PhD
ECs: 5 years of research including a publication, ran a business, tons of volunteering that is medically and non-medically related (don't wanna go into too much detail for risk of identifying myself!)

Casper: Think it went ok, got an interview at McMaster so couldn't have been too bad

lolwhatevs wasn't my top choice anyways

Rejection
Date Stamp: January 24
wGPA: 3.9
Current year: UG complete
ECs: A little on the light side... did the whole hospital and clinic volunteering thing, youth group, karate, long time lifeguard and camp counsellor, but only thesis research and volunteering outside of yg only the last year or so. Wasn't super into uni clubs after being too involved in highschool... O well, you live you learn haha

Casper: Probably could have gone better, not the best writer and didn't finish a few questions.

Congratulations to all of you who got interviews! I wish you the best of luck!

Invite!
Date Stamp: 24/01/2017 - 15:06 PM
Stream: English but applied as bilingual
wGPA: 3.94
Current year: 3rd year
ECs: I've done a lot of smaller things, I've volunteered in veterinary clinics for over 2 years (I wanted to go into veterinary for a while) and I've worked in a hospital for 3 years. I had a really strong awards section having won 2 full ride scholarships to my university for leadership and academic standing coming out of high school. I also think I had very strong references to help me along. I was also an elected VP of a student group this year. I've done an insane amount of sports both competitive and recreational, I played in a community band for a year after graduating high school and volunteered at a retirement residence just for fun really.

Casper: I thought it went really well. Honestly, it is likely what got me the interview considering I had one VERY WEAK research EC that I had just started in September when I applied. Despite the nice technical difficulties that really shook me up, I had no problem answering things in time (I have a very high WPM which helped) and actually found it almost enjoyable. 

Invite!

Date Stamp: 24/01/2017 - 2:57 PM
Stream: French
wGPA: 4.00
Current year: Finished undergrad. MSc student now.
ECs: clinical research for 4 summers (including 1 publication), varsity athlete for 4 years throughout undergrad, peer tutor for first year undergraduate students for 3 years, volunteer at after school program for over 3 years (once per week), volunteer at hospital for 3 summers (once per week).

Casper: I thought it went OK!

Just to help out all you data miners...

Reject

Date Stamp: 24/01/2017 - 4:30 PM
wGPA: 3.92 - None of my grades from my first semester of third year UG were counted, since I went on exchange the following semester. For that reason, I was treated as a 3rd year UG instead of a 4th year.
Current year: 4th year UG
ECs: varied.. fair amount of research including health services for marginalized groups. one paper accepted for publication, solid volunteer experience, etc. 

Casper: Must have been ok, I got an interview at McMaster.

Reject

TIME STAMP: Jan/24

Geography: IP

cGPA: 3.97 (OMSAS)

Year: 5th year UG (Co-op)

ECs: 3 years research (3 first author pubs/3 first author under review; conference; invitation to scientific meeting, etc.); 4 years personal training; VP and P of student club; managed restaurant for 2 summers; 6 years tutoring; additional volunteer, awards, and employment.

CASPer: Thought it was okay, but didn't receive invites from Ottawa or McMaster...

Invite/Rejection: Rejection 
Date Stamp: 24/01/2017 - 4:12 pm
Stream: English (and not bilingual) 
wGPA: 3.85 

Current year: 4th year 
ECs: Fairly extensive and broad. Lots of healthcare-relevant volunteer work, publications (and other research experience), TA/RA work, sports teams, music, etc. 

Casper: Good enough to get an interview at Mac with a low cGPA (3.65)!!