Premed 101 Forums

Queens Interview Invites/regrets 2017

Result: Reject

Time Stamp: 5:28 P.M

Interview Date: Reject
cGPA: 3.94 (OMSAS)
Year: 4th year UG

MCAT: 519 - 130/130/130/129
ECs:  Average - below average.  300 hours of nursing home volunteer, years of research, couple conferences with a 1st author paper in progress, minor short-term leadership role, 1 club as general member etc.
Geography: IP

Result: Invite

Time Stamp: 1:06 PM PT

Interview Date: Not sure yet

wGPA: 3.94 (but cGPA 3.7...)
Year: Graduated BSc 2015

MCAT: 11/10/12 PS/VR/BS (probably just made the cut off)
ECs: Diverse volunteering (mostly research, advocacy, medicine-oriented) and extracurriculars. A lot of my activities were of shorter duration/fairly recent, so just to say that from one year to the next you can improve a LOT if you try hard enough!! Don't give up if it's what you want!
Geography: OOP

Time Stamp: 10:24 AM PST

wGPA: 3.97

Year: 2nd year MSc

MCAT: 519 (127 CARS)

ECs: on the average side (A few pubs, one year of clinical work and years of fragmented hospital volunteering, teaching, and music) 

Did not really expect it as I was rejected by UBC as IP. What a pleasant surprise!  

Result: Regrets

Time Stamp: 5:28 pm, Jan 31st

wGPA: 3.9ish
Year: last year MSc.

MCAT: 132/126/131/130 (519)
ECs: 3 pubs (first author). Many many research projects local and abroad. International conferences. Local and national awards. Volunteering in multiple clinics for 3 years. Multiple community service contributions. UG club establishment. etc. etc. etc.
Geography: IP

Oh well... I think this is my 5th cycle getting zero interviews in all of North America (40+ applications/cycle)... Forgot to mention I'm a Canadian-Syrian dual citizen, might matter eh.

Result: Invite!

Time Stamp: 1:55 PM (MST)

wGPA: 3.86 (OMSAS)
Year: Graduated 2013

MCAT: 130/128/132/130 (520)
ECs: Decent but not outstanding, filled out 38 items. Research volunteer experience, various unstructured leadership roles, varied work experience, non-team sports, PM me for details if you like.
Geography: Glad there is no OOP on this one!!!

Result: regrets

GPA: 3.95

MCAT: 510; CARS 126, Chem/phys 127, Bio 129, Psych/ soc 128

Geography: OOP (not that it really matters)

ECs: varied, diverse, long-term. Hospital volunteering, working woth children, teaching, employment with medically-related company, ESL teacher for refugees, awards & scholarships, personal hobbies etc.

By the looks of it, Queens is a huge gamble with no real pattern for who is rejected/ invited. Not super surprised by this though.

Time Stamp: Jan 31 - 12:56 (PT)

Interview Date: TBA
cGPA: 3.30

2YGPA: 3.99
Year: Last Year of Second Undergrad

MCAT: 13/11/11 (35)
ECs: Paramedic, Hospital Volunteer, First Aid Volunteer, Tutoring, Research (no pubs), Sports etc etc (PM for Full)

Late to the party as usual,

It's been a long time coming. I've taken a very unorthodox approach but it seems to have paid off...now to get in...

Invite/Rejection: Invite

Date Stamp: Jan 31
wGPA: 3.95 (general upward trend, though not by much)

MCAT: 517 (131/126/130/130)

Current year: 4th year UG
ECs: Average - some research (no pubs, but a patent and a couple of poster presentations), some extracurriculars in the university, hospital volunteering, TA position, other unique activities.

An invite from Queen's was quite unexpected, because I really felt that my activities don't stack up compared to most other applicants. BUT, I am glad to have gotten it!

• 2 weeks later...

Got the call for an interview so I was one of the lucky few to get accepted off the wait-list (didn't even know I was on it... I thought I was completely rejected)!! Completely unexpected and very grateful

Date stamp: Feb 22

Interview Date: Mar 26
wGPA: 3.89
Year: Graduated last year

MCAT: 129/127/128/131
ECs: average; wet lab and clinical research, community volunteering

• 10 months later...
On 2/22/2017 at 6:31 AM, quacksflaptogether said:

Got the call for an interview so I was one of the lucky few to get accepted off the wait-list (didn't even know I was on it... I thought I was completely rejected)!! Completely unexpected and very grateful

Date stamp: Feb 22

Interview Date: Mar 26
wGPA: 3.89
Year: Graduated last year

MCAT: 129/127/128/131
ECs: average; wet lab and clinical research, community volunteering

Do you think they call people from the regular MD stream?