Premed 101 Forums

Do Doctors Never Get Stressed

Why are half the med students writing blogs and whatnot during med school? I get irritated easily when having massive amounts of info to study. Then I like to relax afterwards/chill out. Are med students and doctors in general robots ??

Sure they do. There was a recent article published in JAMA saying 1/4th of med students experienced symptoms of depression.

http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2589340

With regards to your first point, it's good to have a life outside of school and other interests. People who write blogs like doing that kind of thing and it helps to have a good balance. We aren't studying 24/7.

Why are half the med students writing blogs and whatnot during med school? I get irritated easily when having massive amounts of info to study. Then I like to relax afterwards/chill out. Are med students and doctors in general robots ??

some of us find writing blogs relaxing.......:) 

Writing my blog has lead to me making all sorts of connections and getting a lot of help and advice throughout the past almost five years. It's been awesome. I'm busy so don't write as often as I used to but it's still a fun outlet. Writing is "chilling out" (oh man, the fact that I felt the need to put that in quotes makes me feel so old...)

I don't think a ton of us are writing them, but I have fun reading others' blogs myself when I have time.

Writing my blog has lead to me making all sorts of connections and getting a lot of help and advice throughout the past almost five years. It's been awesome. I'm busy so don't write as often as I used to but it's still a fun outlet. Writing is "chilling out" (oh man, the fact that I felt the need to put that in quotes makes me feel so old...)

I don't think a ton of us are writing them, but I have fun reading others' blogs myself when I have time.

You should devote more time to properly raising your children if they are "completely unfunctional" in school. Just saying, you sound like a bad mother. You had children young then applied to medical school, see your children struggling in school and choose to write blogs about it/becoming a doctor instead of properly spending time with your children. Wow.

You should devote more time to properly raising your children if they are "completely unfunctional" in school. Just saying, you sound like a bad mother. You had children young then applied to medical school, see your children struggling in school and choose to write blogs about it/becoming a doctor instead of properly spending time with your children. Wow.

0 out of 10. Way too obvious. You went way over the top. The key to trolling is to make it just subtle enough that people will think you're serious.

Mods please ban this person!!?!? Jeez.

This is horrible. You should re-evaluate this post and apologize immediately! It is rude, and unbecoming of a future physician. Please don't post things like this.

I figured from the terrible grammar and horrible premise but didn't think it would get so all alt-righty and douche right away. Just give one of us a PM guys. Hard to sweep through all of the threads and a PM usually draws the eye. I am going to leave this up because it has his IP and personal info for us mods unless Birdy you are offended and want it taken down.

I can't imagine this guy would make it too far in the process of applying. 

And to Birdy. I have read a couple posts of your blog, and I can only hope that No part of this exchange has left you with doubt of your personhood. You are so completely inspiring and I thank you profusely for sharing. 

Seconded. Birdy's blog is a constant source of information and inspiration, and has been for the majority of my undergraduate career. 

Hah, I'm really not bothered. That poster is hardly the first person to ascribe to bad parenting what is actually the result of disability. I've got pretty thick skin. My husband actually is home full time (which was always a goal for us) because that's what our son needs, and the needs of our kids are absolutely of utmost importance to us, obviously.

Pretty sure if I were a father instead of a mother, there wouldn't be the attempt to guilt me over having a career because I have a special needs kid who has periods where things are harder. Unless that poster thinks every parent ever should quit their job if they have kids with developmental disability-related behaviour issues. For anyone actually concerned, he's actually doing pretty well right now and is back in school full time.

Several PM101 members have actually met my kids including my son when he's been having a hard time and are well aware what a high priority I place on being involved with my children. I'm confident enough that I'm doing what's right for my family that the words of someone who clearly has no experience with special needs kids don't really bug me. :)

Hah, I'm really not bothered. That poster is hardly the first person to ascribe to bad parenting what is actually the result of disability. I've got pretty thick skin. My husband actually is home full time (which was always a goal for us) because that's what our son needs, and the needs of our kids are absolutely of utmost importance to us, obviously.

Pretty sure if I were a father instead of a mother, there wouldn't be the attempt to guilt me over having a career because I have a special needs kid who has periods where things are harder. Unless that poster thinks every parent ever should quit their job if they have kids with developmental disability-related behaviour issues. For anyone actually concerned, he's actually doing pretty well right now and is back in school full time.

Several PM101 members have actually met my kids including my son when he's been having a hard time and are well aware what a high priority I place on being involved with my children. I'm confident enough that I'm doing what's right for my family that the words of someone who clearly has no experience with special needs kids don't really bug me. :)

Brilliant response.

A ) Good on you for not taking the troll seriously. He/she shouldn't be.

B ) This is the type of loser you're frustrated to run into as a first year pre-med. The one that compensates/projects for all their insecurities and gives everyone else in pre-med a bad reputation. 

This says all you need to know about his/her personality:

Axxe8N5.png

For some people writing blogs is very therapeutic and a stress coping mechanism. I think blogging about your day is like writing in your journal except you make it public. It really allows you to reflect on the things that you are writing about and gives you a better understanding. Some people like to learn a new instrument, because learning a new instrument requires intense focus and it's an intense focus away from the stressor (school). Different strokes for different folks.

I think she's actually a very good mother, because she's showing her children to really strive for your dreams regardless of circumstances/challenges. Becoming a mother is not a life ending sentence where you can only be a "mother". I think you can still be an athlete, a businesswoman, a student, a leader and anything else they want. But again, I shouldn't care to know how Birdy is rearing her child for the sake of trying to judge her because who am I to judge? And this is all my 2 cents

For some people writing blogs is very therapeutic and a stress coping mechanism. I think blogging about your day is like writing in your journal except you make it public. It really allows you to reflect on the things that you are writing about and gives you a better understanding. Some people like to learn a new instrument, because learning a new instrument requires intense focus and it's an intense focus away from the stressor (school). Different strokes for different folks.

I think she's actually a very good mother, because she's showing her children to really strive for your dreams regardless of circumstances/challenges. Becoming a mother is not a life ending sentence where you can only be a "mother". I think you can still be an athlete, a businesswoman, a student, a leader and anything else they want. But again, I shouldn't care to know how Birdy is rearing her child for the sake of trying to judge her because who am I to judge? And this is all my 2 cents

Agreed

Archived