Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interview Discussion 2017

I would say 3.8 is probably more applicable to graduate applicants. I would imagine undergraduate competitive gpa is higher. The minimum (not competitive) gpa for undergrad is 3.6, but for grad it's 3.0. So I believe if you qualify to be assessed as a graduate applicant, you can get away with a lower gpa. 

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say 3.8 is probably more applicable to graduate applicants. I would imagine undergraduate competitive gpa is higher. The minimum (not competitive) gpa for undergrad is 3.6, but for grad it's 3.0. So I believe if you qualify to be assessed as a graduate applicant, you can get away with a lower gpa. 

I agree with that in theory but since they do not release their competitive cutoffs, I am not sure how true it holds. The poster above me was talking about how he had a GPA closer to 3.8 but is technically being assessed as an undergraduate. This would mean that his GPA is also being assessed at the undergraduate stream. If the cutoffs were truly as high as other posters have made it seem then he would have been rejected by now but he is still here. I am not sure what to believe honestly so I am just hearing people out to get a sense of the system. 

Wouldn't it be great if UofT had a type of progress bar like the Domino's Pizza tracker where it tells you where your application is at? "Jared put your application into the file review stage on March 1, 2017", "Kaitlyn checked your application for perfection on March 15, 2017"...

Wouldn't it be great if UofT had a type of progress bar like the Domino's Pizza tracker where it tells you where your application is at? "Jared put your application into the file review stage on March 1, 2017", "Kaitlyn checked your application for perfection on March 15, 2017"...

The caveat with transparency is that it holds public and private bodies accountable. Its nice for us but it can cause neurotic individuals to go bat shit insane to adcoms if their file gets misplaced because the person working on 600 files that day misplaces one of them into the wrong pile but corrects it later. 

I agree with that in theory but since they do not release their competitive cutoffs, I am not sure how true it holds. The poster above me was talking about how he had a GPA closer to 3.8 but is technically being assessed as an undergraduate. This would mean that his GPA is also being assessed at the undergraduate stream. If the cutoffs were truly as high as other posters have made it seem then he would have been rejected by now but he is still here. I am not sure what to believe honestly so I am just hearing people out to get a sense of the system.

Exactly, I believe I'm likely being assessed in the undergraduate vs. the graduate stream! Also I made a mistake, my wGPA is 3.84 not 3.83, so I would assume the cut off must be at or below 3.84 if I'm still here.

Also, I'm a girl, not that you would be able to know that :P

LOL! If only.

The caveat with transparency is that it holds public and private bodies accountable. Its nice for us but it can cause neurotic individuals to go bat shit insane to adcoms if their file gets misplaced because the person working on 600 files that day misplaces one of them into the wrong pile but corrects it later. 

Very true. Half off Domino's this week has just got me appreciating the progress bar haha

I called the admissions office and inquired about any leftover interview spots. I was told that the detailed file reviews are still ongoing at this point and thus, there are still interview spots to be filled accordingly. Not really sure if that means we can expect another wave or if there are just indicidual spots left. But the way the response was worded, I'm hopeful for at least one more wave. I was also told that more invites and rejections will be sent out up until the end of March. So I guess for those of us still waiting to hear back, there is hope and we will have to continue to hold our breath for now.

I called the admissions office and inquired about any leftover interview spots. I was told that the detailed file reviews are still ongoing at this point and thus, there are still interview spots to be filled accordingly. Not really sure if that means we can expect another wave or if there are just indicidual spots left. But the way the response was worded, I'm hopeful for at least one more wave. I was also told that more invites and rejections will be sent out up until the end of March. So I guess for those of us still waiting to hear back, there is hope and we will have to continue to hold our breath for now.

I needed this today, thank you kind person

I think the batch system allows for randomization to give people interviews at very inopportune times. Interviews in early April are brutal when exam season is on the horizon. 

Exactly. If I am lucky enough to get an interview, my first exam is April 9th. I keep having dreams by some stroke of luck that I get an interview scheduled for the 9th, go and try to reschedule it to the 8th, and they say "too bad, so sad, see you never" and I'm SOL

Exactly. If I am lucky enough to get an interview, my first exam is April 9th. I keep having dreams by some stroke of luck that I get an interview scheduled for the 9th, go and try to reschedule it to the 8th, and they say "too bad, so sad, see you never" and I'm SOL

Is it not possible to reschedule your exam? I have heard prof's are usually quite flexible about these circumstances.

Keep in mind there are two interview days in April this year in contrast to 2015 and 2016. I'm pretty sure at least 25% of the April spots (60 more interview invites) are yet to be sent. I don't have any inside knowledge whatsoever, but say this based on my observation of how UT sends invites over years. Stay positive and Good Luck to you all!    

Is it not possible to reschedule your exam? I have heard prof's are usually quite flexible about these circumstances.

I'm considering talking to the course coordinator sooner rather than later to keep him in the loop. I've just had terrible experiences trying to get make-up exams previously when I was legitimately sick.

Did anyone get their verifiers contacted? Maybe the reason I am not getting replies is because my verifiers could not be reached or said something that could compromise my application?

I doubt it. There are lots of people who haven't got contacted yet...It just means they haven't finished reviewing your app yet

I doubt it. There are lots of people who haven't got contacted yet...It just means they haven't finished reviewing your app yet

I can confirm this. When I spoke to the MD admissions office today, I was told that if you have yet to hear back yet, it's very likely due to one of three circumstances:

1) your file has yet to be reviewed

2) your file is currently in review

3) your file has been reviewed and you will be notified of the corresponding invite/regret when the next wave of emails is sent out from U of T.

I can confirm this. When I spoke to the MD admissions office today, I was told that if you have yet to hear back yet, it's very likely due to one of three circumstances:

1) your file has yet to be reviewed

2) your file is currently in review

3) your file has been reviewed and you will be notified of the corresponding invite/regret when the next wave of emails is sent out from U of T.

reasonable 

• Leon unpinned this topic

Archived