Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interview Discussion 2017

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I talked to the associate registrar again. She told me that she cannot release the competitive GPA cutoff for any cohort but told me that they recommend that all of their applicants strive for around 3.8. What I got out of this exchange and her language was that their cutoff is above 3.8 and they seem to create their cutoff in that tenths place (i.e. 3.84, 3.86, 3.89 etc.). I believe this because if she had mentioned that the cutoff was 3.9 then that would be too high of a number for them to recommend 3.8 on their website and through e-mail. In short, I am giving her the benefit of the doubt. 

I talked to the associate registrar again. She told me that she cannot release the competitive GPA cutoff for any cohort but told me that they recommend that all of their applicants strive for around 3.8. What I got out of this exchange and her language was that their cutoff is above 3.8 and they seem to create their cutoff in that tenths place (i.e. 3.84, 3.86, 3.89 etc.). I believe this because if she had mentioned that the cutoff was 3.9 then that would be too high of a number for them to recommend 3.8 on their website and through e-mail. In short, I am giving her the benefit of the doubt.

My wGPA is 3.83 and I haven't received a rejection from u of t yet so I assume the cut off must be between 3.80 and 3.83! I am a grad student but I highly doubt I'm being assessed in the graduate stream.

My wGPA is 3.83 and I haven't received a rejection from u of t yet so I assume the cut off must be between 3.80 and 3.83! I am a grad student but I highly doubt I'm being assessed in the graduate stream.

Why do you think you are not being assessed as a grad student? Also when you say grad student, do you mean as a post 5th year student or as a graduate student that is in the process of a masters degree? If you didn't follow the graduate procedures then I don't think they would be able to classify you as a graduate student. 

I still have a lot of faith; I really don't know why, but I do

I go through waves of "you knew you weren't going to get an interview, just accept it" to "try to be cautiously optimistic" to "you know people who got interviews one week before the last interview date, you haven't been eliminated yet!"...

Why do you think you are not being assessed as a grad student? Also when you say grad student, do you mean as a post 5th year student or as a graduate student that is in the process of a masters degree? If you didn't follow the graduate procedures then I don't think they would be able to classify you as a graduate student.

I am in the last year of a research based master's degree but I have no publications so I don't think they'll see me as having demonstrated "substantial productivity"

I am in the last year of a research based master's degree but I have no publications so I don't think they'll see me as having demonstrated "substantial productivity"

I think in terms of GPA you would be evaluated differently even if your masters is not course-based. I will have to double check on that though. Also it would be very weird of them to define graduate students as those that show substantial productivity. I think people are grad students by the nature of how they applied and not their merit. I think they would see you as a grad student even if you don't have 300 pubs. 

I think in terms of GPA you would be evaluated differently even if your masters is not course-based. I will have to double check on that though. Also it would be very weird of them to define graduate students as those that show substantial productivity. I think people are grad students by the nature of how they applied and not their merit. I think they would see you as a grad student even if you don't have 300 pubs. 

U of T explicitly states this on their website, under the "Graduate Applicants" section of the academic requirements section. They are pretty clear about this.

U of T explicitly states this on their website, under the "Graduate Applicants" section of the academic requirements section. They are pretty clear about this.

Yep just checked. You're right. I don't check the graduate section of the websites often and end up talking out of my ass. Apologies.

One tidbit I caught though.

"Based on statistics from recent admissions cycles, a minimum GPA of 3.8 is considered competitive for undergraduate assessments."

I'm assuming this means that this 3.8 is only applicable for the undergraduate cohort and not the graduate one. Thoughts?

• Leon unpinned this topic

Archived