Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interview Discussion 2017

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am fairly certain that, by the end of this week, the fates of our Toronto applications will be made implicitly (if not explicitly) apparent. So, to all of us still waiting, I want to wish you the best of luck this week, and with any other endeavours (med school related or otherwise) that you are currently pushing through as winter term comes to an end. No matter the outcome, never doubt your propensity to succeed in this field, or in life; be proud of everything you've accomplished thus far. Keep those eyes fixed firmly on the horizon.

-Anbessa

I am fairly certain that, by the end of this week, the fates of our Toronto applications will be made implicitly (if not explicitly) apparent. So, to all of us still waiting, I want to wish you the best of luck this week, and with any other endeavours (med school related or otherwise) that you are currently pushing through as winter term comes to an end. No matter the outcome, never doubt your propensity to succeed in this field, or in life; be proud of everything you've accomplished thus far. Keep those eyes fixed firmly on the horizon.

-Anbessa

Likewise. I've enjoyed the discussions that went on in this thread. I think its a very useful thread that should be kept for next year. 

-Anbessa

thanks anbessa, you too! i feel like you were saying those words to yourself as much as you were saying them to us. dont forget to take care of yourself too :) 

what are we thinking for remaining % left? Probably like ~20%? Surely this should mostly wrap up this week

the next interviews are on april 8 and 9, and they say invitations will be given out the latest 2 weeks prior.

so if they stay true to their word, offers have to be sent out this week. or at least one hopes...

what are we thinking for remaining % left? Probably like ~20%? Surely this should mostly wrap up this week

Considering that there are two April interview dates this year, and that when I called the U of T med admissions office last week, I was assured that file reviews are still ongoing and that there are interview spots still left to be filled accordingly, I would predict that your assumption of 20% of April spots remaining is valid. At the most, maybe 25%. I'd say there is roughly between 50 and 70 interviews spots to be filled, which should happen this week. Hopefully, sooner rather than later.

Considering that there are two April interview dates this year, and that when I called the U of T med admissions office last week, I was assured that file reviews are still ongoing and that there are interview spots still left to be filled accordingly, I would predict that your assumption of 20% of April spots remaining is valid. At the most, maybe 25%. I'd say there is roughly between 50 and 70 interviews spots to be filled, which should happen this week. Hopefully, sooner rather than later.

yeah I think based on all that- something is coming today, good or bad something is coming today for a lot of those remaining..good luck to everyone still waiting, keep your head up

yeah I think based on all that- something is coming today, good or bad something is coming today for a lot of those remaining..good luck to everyone still waiting, keep your head up

Think so? I really hope it's today, I just want to know... However, I feel as if we will have to wait until Thursday or Friday of this week, but hopefully I am wrong.

Think so? I really hope it's today, I just want to know... However, I feel as if we will have to wait until Thursday or Friday of this week, but hopefully I am wrong.

I woke up today and had a feeling... so I put on my lucky socks just in case  :P

I feel discouraged that application reviews have run this late. I find it risky that an application reviewed this late in the game wouldn't be given the same consideration and thoughtfulness that one reviewed earlier on would. I have no way of knowing, just my personal thoughts on this. I'm a reviewer for the Dalla Lana program at U of T, and I am doing my best to give every application an equal and fair chance with my best effort, but it's something you have to actively commit to doing.

I feel discouraged that application reviews have run this late. I find it risky that an application reviewed this late in the game wouldn't be given the same consideration and thoughtfulness that one reviewed earlier on would. I have no way of knowing, just my personal thoughts on this. I'm a reviewer for the Dalla Lana program at U of T, and I am doing my best to give every application an equal and fair chance with my best effort, but it's something you have to actively commit to doing.

I think if you read your own words, then you should still feel confident about your file being reviewed fairly this late in the cycle compared to someone who has their's reviewed earlier. The ad coms and file reviewers very likely try to review each application as equally and objectively as possible and make conscious efforts to commit to that (just as you do). Also, U of T has interview spots that are still open because they review files so late into the cycle. I'm sure that the amount of spots they have left open for this file review batch is relative to all other file review batches at any point in the cycle. If not, then the randomized process would be unjust and if that was the case, I doubt it would be the method U of T would go about application review.

I think if you read your own words, then you should still feel confident about your file being reviewed fairly this late in the cycle compared to someone who has their's reviewed earlier. The ad coms and file reviewers very likely try to review each application as equally and objectively as possible and make conscious efforts to commit to that (just as you do). Also, U of T has interview spots that are still open because they review files so late into the cycle. I'm sure that the amount of spots they have left open for this file review batch is relative to all other file review batches at any point in the cycle. If not, then the randomized process would be unjust and if that was the case, I doubt it would be the method U of T would go about application review.

this is thoughtful, objective and correct I would have to think- don't underestimate uoft on this point, they are well aware of the pitfalls to stay away from during the process

this is thoughtful, objective and correct I would have to think- don't underestimate uoft on this point, they are well aware of the pitfalls to stay away from during the process

I agree that UofT has considered this process from every angle and from the perspective of the students, and that fairness is more or less upheld. But on the same token, I have to say, being notified of an invitation or rejection 2 weeks away from the interview dates is way too late and it really does cause prolonged anxiety in the applicants that have yet to be notified, which I don't think has any benefit. I know that there are a lot of essays to be reviewed but perhaps they could increase the amount of reviewers they have on their panel to get things finished sooner. I don't think there'd be any harm in that. I have another interview so if I do get an interview for UofT, I'd already have prepared to some extent. But for applicants who haven't gotten any interviews yet and are waiting on UofT, they might not have prepared as well, and if they did all this time just to realize they were rejected, that's extremely crushing. I'm not directing all this at you by the way, it's just what I honestly think as a fellow applicant (and a current UofT undergrad).

But best of luck to everyone still waiting! Whatever happens, keep your head up ! :)

I agree that UofT has considered this process from every angle and from the perspective of the students, and that fairness is more or less upheld. But on the same token, I have to say, being notified of an invitation or rejection 2 weeks away from the interview dates is way too late and it really does cause prolonged anxiety in the applicants that have yet to be notified, which I don't think has any benefit. I know that there are a lot of essays to be reviewed but perhaps they could increase the amount of reviewers they have on their panel to get things finished sooner. I don't think there'd be any harm in that. I have another interview so if I do get an interview for UofT, I'd already have prepared to some extent. But for applicants who haven't gotten any interviews yet and are waiting on UofT, they might not have prepared as well, and if they did all this time just to realize they were rejected, that's extremely crushing. I'm not directing all this at you by the way, it's just what I honestly think as a fellow applicant (and a current UofT undergrad).

But best of luck to everyone still waiting! Whatever happens, keep your head up ! :)

But at the same time, you don't really need two weeks to prepare for an interview. Especially one that is a panel interview. So I don't think getting two weeks to prepare is unreasonable, plus in lieu of hearing you could always be doing a bit of preparation on your own time if you really did think you would need more than two weeks to prepare

I think is just a calculus the adcom is happy with- they could increase reviewers but perhaps it's more fair to keep that number as small as possible- as for the late interview notification, sure, it's definitely a shortcoming in the process but applicants are free to prepare for either outcome and knew the process in advance of applying (or could have). I too have already had to prep some months ago but if I hadn't and been in the situation I am now in with uoft I don't think I would keep waiting for the email before beginning prep of some kind. The strongest argument you raise relates to anxiety I think and the general stress that us who've waited so long must undergo- the process is imperfect..

But at the same time, you don't really need two weeks to prepare for an interview. Especially one that is a panel interview. So I don't think getting two weeks to prepare is unreasonable, plus in lieu of hearing you could always be doing a bit of preparation on your own time if you really did think you would need more than two weeks to prepare

No point sitting on the bench as it were if you are not prepared to get into the game - that means if you fell you need more prep time than the typical couple of weeks (typical lead time - which I would say is totally normal to want more time to prepare than that), then you need to start earlier :)

• Leon unpinned this topic

Archived