Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interview Discussion 2017

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So is no news bad news?

My friend was involved in admissions last year (as a 4th year med student), and he said that just means that have not gotten to your application yet. They review them in batches so that everybody has around the same amount of time to prepare between finding out they have an interview and the actual interview. So no news is literally no news unless its getting close to April. I was rejected in the last week of March last year. Good luck! 

My friend was involved in admissions last year (as a 4th year med student), and he said that just means that have not gotten to your application yet. They review them in batches so that everybody has around the same amount of time to prepare between finding out they have an interview and the actual interview. So no news is literally no news unless its getting close to April. I was rejected in the last week of March last year. Good luck! 

So there must be rejections already sent out? They do the rejects/invites in batches?

So there must be rejections already sent out? They do the rejects/invites in batches?

Anecdotal, but I know of two people in my program who applied and have quite recently been rejected from UofT Meds this cycle; stands to reason that some rejections have been sent out. However, whether or not they are rolling with the invites remains quite unclear. 

Anecdotal, but I know of two people in my program who applied and have quite recently been rejected from UofT Meds this cycle; stands to reason that some rejections have been sent out. However, whether or not they are rolling with the invites remains quite unclear. 

From my understanding, each wave has its own rejects/invites. 

I've heard of one MD applicant being rejected (heard last week, unsure of when it was sent)- I think they say online as well that both invites/regrets are rolling, I don't see why they wouldn't just give the decision as the batch review is complete..and for the waves thus far showing invite postings, there aren't many so its likely regrets just aren't being posted.

It also appears that none of the invites/regrets have any research based grad applicants yet as well

Yeah I noticed that too. They claim they don't have X number of grad stream invites and that generally top applicants are picked but presumably there's individual batches for the grad stream right. No real pattern I guess in terms of timing.

At this point, I would hazard the guess of half of ALL interviews. This is because April is the last month, and we probably won't hear from Toronto until mid-March. IIRC mid-march was the last time to hear back, if not early April for last minute rejections and interviews.

At this point, I would hazard the guess of half of ALL interviews. This is because April is the last month, and we probably won't hear from Toronto until mid-March. IIRC mid-march was the last time to hear back, if not early April for last minute rejections and interviews.

yeah they said 50% of all interviews. Also, they said we could hear back as late was two weeks before the final interview date (April 9th)

I guess one possibility is that as they've completed the batches so far they haven't sent many regrets to protect against a higher number of lower scores in the later batches - so essentially they hold some "rejections" for right now and then later towards the end when they have a better idea of numbers they just send a ton of the accumulated rejections? 

Wouldn't most of the 50% be MD/PhD applicants? 

I don't think so. They invite approx 45 MD/PhD applicants to attend the MD interviews (http://www.md.utoronto.ca/application-process-0). Historically, there are 600 applicants invited for the MD interview (http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admission-statistics). The MD invites taken by MD/PhD applicants would likely make up no more than ~16% (50/300) of the ~300 MD interview invites given so far.

• Leon unpinned this topic

Archived