Premed 101 Forums

Admission Médecine 2017

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Refusée à l'UdeM catégorie universitaire bac non-complété, cote de 37,737.

Convoquée à Sherbrooke

WOW les cotes doivent etre vrm hautes pour cette categorie a l'udem cette annee... Combien de credits as-tu? et dans quel programme? Felicitations pour ta convocation a Sherby!

Taking into account that the cut-off for bac non-complété is higher this year, do you guys think it is also higher for complété non-connexe for Udem, like probably above 36?

I actually think it might be lower because of this? "Refus (14 avril). Dernière session en psychologie à l'UdeM : 4,08. CRU de l'UdeM : 34.783."

​Normally a bac non-connexe complete with a CRU below 35 should lead to a rejection on day 1.

Taking into account that the cut-off for bac non-complété is higher this year, do you guys think it is also higher for complété non-connexe for Udem, like probably above 36?

Voici deux posts de hier qui repondent un peu a ta question: 

Moi aussi j'ai l'impression qu'au moins a UdeM, les cotes pour les baccs completés ont diminiuées. J'estime ceci parce que Psy2017 a été refusé avec 4.12 de GPA avec une CRU de 35.168. J'ai un GPA similaire (3.89/4.0 donc environ 4.18 on va dire) pour le même programme (psycho) et j'ai été convoquée, donc ma CRU devrait être seulement un peu supérieure a 35.168. Par contre, l'année passée, la dernière CRU convoquée pour la catégorie non-connexe était de 35.804...

Un gars a été convoqué cette année, et LA ou refusé l'an passé avec la même cote et même diplome

Donc d'apres Lonney et moi, la CRU pour bacc non-connexe ou meme peut-etre connexe completes auraient diminuee.

Voici deux posts de hier qui repondent un peu a ta question: 

Donc d'apres Lonney et moi, la CRU pour bacc non-connexe ou meme peut-etre connexe completes auraient diminuee.

C'est difficile à prévoir car certains programmes ont diminués, d'autres non.

Selon moi ça risque d'être similaire à l'année dernière pour la catégorie connexe et non-connexe (mais ça reste spéculatif, on va voir en mai).

Dans le contexte de médecine (et son fort contingentement), 4.14 doesn't cut it sorry.

It could be one where a 4.29 would not be enough. You could then say that "4.29 doesn't cut it sorry" and you would be factually correct. But that's irrelevant. What is ridiculous is that this increase is not being addressed by admissions committees. Casper is a step in the right direction, but I would go even further and say that CVs should be assessed as well, as I am uncertain of how good Casper will be at doing what it says it does. 

Increasing the cutoffs every year is a reflection of the degree of competitiveness of the program, not some increasing quality of the applicants. There is certainly a threshold of academic excellence that, once passed, will not lead to better physicians at all. I most certainly believe that Psy2017 is sits well beyond that threshold.

You could even easily argue that GPA may not even be the best way to determine one's academic proficiency or cognitive abilities, and that IFG and adjustments based on your program are possibly arbitrary or unfair. Unfortunately, there is no French MCAT. 

It could be one where a 4.29 would not be enough. You could then say that "4.29 doesn't cut it sorry" and you would be factually correct. But that's irrelevant. What is ridiculous is that this increase is not being addressed by admissions committees. Casper is a step in the right direction, but I would go even further and say that CVs should be assessed as well, as I am uncertain of how good Casper will be at doing what it says it does. 

Increasing the cutoffs every year is a reflection of the degree of competitiveness of the program, not some increasing quality of the applicants. There is certainly a threshold of academic excellence that, once passed, will not lead to better physicians at all. I most certainly believe that Psy2017 is sits well beyond that threshold.

You could even easily argue that GPA may not even be the best way to determine one's academic proficiency or cognitive abilities, and that IFG and adjustments based on your program are possibly arbitrary or unfair. Unfortunately, there is no French MCAT. 

The MCAT is worthless and is increasingly being discarded by the english medical schools outside of the CARS section. Regarding the cut-off, there isn't room for everyone and a cut has to be made at some point as it would be impossible or ridiculously expensive and long to evaluate every applicant that has a GPA that would be suitable.

Regarding the evaluation of the CV, McMaster's studies have determined that the best predictor for academic success was past academic success (ie: GPA) while the best predictor for interpersonal habilities in a clinical setting (ie: OSCEs and clerkship evaluations) was the MMI. If you base your evaluation solely on the GPA and MMI, you manage to combine the best 2 predictors for the 2 most important fields of excellence. Regarding the gradual increase in terms of the academic cut-offs, it means that all the applicants who make it to the MMI phase are academically strong which also means that you no longer can get in with a weak MMI score because your academic record compensates (Hayley being the perfect example that the system works as she was repeatedly rejected because of her MMI score). As such, the universities are able to accept only applicants who are outstanding in both the academic and interpersonal aspects.

If the GPA cut-off was incredibly high but few people were interviewed and low MMI score were therefore sufficient to get an acceptance, I would agree with your argument that different evaluation methods would be required but that isn't the case at this point.

TLDR: Right now, the high GPA cutoff puts us in a situation where an outstanding MMI score is still required to get an acceptance (because all the applicants are outstanding academically and therefore can't rely solely on their GPA) and therefore ensures that most succesful applicants are also decent human beings. Therefore, the system works.

The MCAT is worthless and is increasingly being discarded by the english medical schools outside of the CARS section. Regarding the cut-off, there isn't room for everyone and a cut has to be made at some point as it would be impossible or ridiculously expensive and long to evaluate every applicant that has a GPA that would be suitable.

Regarding the evaluation of the CV, McMaster's studies have determined that the best predictor for academic success was past academic success (ie: GPA) while the best predictor for interpersonal habilities in a clinical setting (ie: OSCEs and clerkship evaluations) was the MMI. If you base your evaluation solely on the GPA and MMI, you manage to combine the best 2 predictors for the 2 most important fields of excellence. Regarding the gradual increase in terms of the academic cut-offs, it means that all the applicants who make it to the MMI phase are academically strong which also means that you no longer can get in with a weak MMI score because your academic record compensates (Hayley being the perfect example that the system works as she was repeatedly rejected because of her MMI score). As such, the universities are able to accept only applicants who are outstanding in both the academic and interpersonal aspects.

If the GPA cut-off was incredibly high but few people were interviewed and low MMI score were therefore sufficient to get an acceptance, I would agree with your argument that different evaluation methods would be required but that isn't the case at this point.

TLDR: Right now, the high GPA cutoff puts us in a situation where an outstanding MMI score is still required to get an acceptance (because all the applicants are outstanding academically and therefore can't rely solely on their GPA) and therefore ensures that most succesful applicants are also decent human beings. Therefore, the system works.

On the topic of the MCAT being worthless:

1. Which schools are discarding it? Ottawa is adding it in, McGill only took it out because of Francophones applying. It seems to me that you are uninformed. 

2. Schools "discarding" it does not mean it is "worthless". The example of McGill shows, for instance, that it may be an issue of fairness to francophones. 

3. What do you even mean by worthless? It is a standardized exam that puts everyone on an equal footing and that has weak-to-moderate correlations to certain outcomes as a med student (USMLE or licensing exams, for instance). Certainly no less than GPA. Maybe not better, but takes care of the discrepancies between programs and schools.  

4. Even from a logical standpoint, if you agree that UdeM/ULaval/USherbrooke are right to discriminate based on major (which I assume you do given that you certainly benefitted from it coming from Physio), you understand the potential discrepancy in difficulty and "value" between majors and schools. That being said, the way these schools address it is arbitrary at best, inappropriate at worst. 

On McMaster's evaluations:

1. Show your sources? I don't remember seeing this from their peer-reviewed papers. 

2. I haven't commented on the MMI and no need to get into it.

3. I don't think it's really appropriate of you to single out an applicant on this forum who has not had the chance to get admitted to prove your "point".

4. You are using McMaster's alleged evidence for the superiority of GPA. UdeM does not directly use GPA. I am assuming that certain members of this forum would have secured an interview with the same GPA from another program. The conversation is a different one.  

On aura tout vu... Lonney qui soutient qu'une cote de 4.12 en psychologique n'est clairement pas assez élevée pour rentrer en Médecine. Ladite personne qui a cette cote a été acceptée au PhD R/I en neuropsychologie, l'un des programmes les plus contingentés de l'UdeM, toute chose étant égale par ailleurs. L'acceptation à ce programme se base sur les performances scolaires, contributions à la recherche, bénévolat, implications, etc. Come on, gang... De croire qu'une personne avec une cote de 4.12 au B.Sc. en psycho et acceptée dans un PhD hautement compétitif n'a même pas les qualités pour se rendre à la deuxième étape des entrevues... C'est juste insensé. 

On aura tout vu... Lonney qui soutient qu'une cote de 4.12 en psychologique n'est clairement pas assez élevée pour rentrer en Médecine. Ladite personne qui a cette cote a été acceptée au PhD R/I en neuropsychologie, l'un des programmes les plus contingentés de l'UdeM, toute chose étant égale par ailleurs. L'acceptation à ce programme se base sur les performances scolaires, contributions à la recherche, bénévolat, implications, etc. Come on, gang... De croire qu'une personne avec une cote de 4.12 au B.Sc. en psycho et acceptée dans un PhD hautement compétitif n'a même pas les qualités pour se rendre à la deuxième étape des entrevues... C'est juste insensé.

Mettons 4.12 en pharmacie c'est 100x plus dure que 4.12 en psy

La pertinence et la qualité de ce forum est vraiment en chute libre... ça fait peur de savoir que ste petite gang de troll pourraient soigner du monde... ayoye

t'es tu au courant qu'un troll ne définit pas qui tu es dans la vraie vie?

t'es tu au courant qu'un troll ne définit pas qui tu es dans la vraie vie?

My god. T'as vraiment besoin d'affirmer ça souvent sur pm101. C'est un peu bizarre..... Pourtant, t'es juste pas capable de te comporter comme du monde pis t'as absolument besoin qu'on te reconnaîsse, tellement désespéremment. T'as vraiiiiment besoin d'attention à absolument n'importe quel prix, même si c'est pour te faire insulter. Tout sauf te faire ignorer.

T'as probablement besoin d'aide, et là je suis sérieux. Tu sais probablement quels ressources utiliser. Je t'encourage à les utiliser, plutôt que de chercher l'attention sur un forum anonyme Internet.

Les gens qui appliquent en médecine vont vraiment avoir une mauvaise idée de quoi ont l'air les gens qui appliquent en médecine...

B.Sc psychologie: 4.12. Cote calculée par Sherbrooke: 35,168. Refus le 13 avril si ça peut aider.

Tu devrais peut être considérer passer le MCAT et appliquer hors province (si c'est une option pour toi). T'as un GPA de fou et je suis certaine que ton CV est aussi bon. C'est bien dommage selon moi que les écoles francophones ne se basent que sur les notes pour inviter des candidats aux entrevues. Bonne continuation dans tes futurs projets! 

Après tout ceci, on se demande pourquoi trop de médecins ont des comportements arrogants et hautains dans les unités de soins, envers certains patients et surtout avec les autres professionnels avec qui ils travaillent. Plein de futurs MD ne sont même pas acceptés en médecine qu'ils commencent à cracher sur les autres professionnels de la santé et sur les individus avec des parcours un tant soit peu différents des leurs. Because, yes, un 4.12 en psycho et une acceptation au PhD R/I en psycho... wait, c'est vraiment un dossier de marde. Cette personne-là ne devrait même pas penser qu'elle a le talent pour aller en MD (hum, hum, ironie).

Les dossiers avec une cote supérieure à 4.15/4.3 sont EXTRÊMEMENT rares en sycho, et on parle de cohortes de plus de 200-300 étudiants à l'UdeM. Un 4.12 mériterait un passage aux entrevues, en toute logique.

Après tout ceci, on se demande pourquoi trop de médecins ont des comportements arrogants et hautains dans les unités de soins, envers certains patients et surtout avec les autres professionnels avec qui ils travaillent. Plein de futurs MD ne sont même pas acceptés en médecine qu'ils commencent à cracher sur les autres professionnels de la santé et sur les individus avec des parcours un tant soit peu différents des leurs. Because, yes, un 4.12 en psycho et une acceptation au PhD R/I en psycho... wait, c'est vraiment un dossier de marde. Cette personne-là ne devrait même pas penser qu'elle a le talent pour aller en MD (hum, hum, ironie).

Les dossiers avec une cote supérieure à 4.15/4.3 sont EXTRÊMEMENT rares en sycho, et on parle de cohortes de plus de 200-300 étudiants à l'UdeM. Un 4.12 mériterait un passage aux entrevues, en toute logique.

La plupart des médecins arrogants auxquels tu fais référence et que j'ai vu sont des patrons depuis très longtemps et ont été admis à une autre époque où le CV et d'autres critères étaient justement évalués pour déterminer qui étaient admis en médecine. Selon mon expérience, les résidents actuels et les patrons plus jeunes (ceux qui ont diaboliquement été admis sur la seule base de leurs notes et les MEMs) sont définitivement les plus "humains" et complets.

Évidemment, on parle ici d'une moyenne et il existe des meilleurs ou moins bons patrons dans tous les cas.

Could not agree more. French schools need to invest more in their admissions process. Grades should be part of the assessment - but NOT the only element considered to grant an interview. In my opinion, it's BS. I guess that's how we miss out on some great future doctors. 

Archived