Premed 101 Forums

tpfan, can you please give share your stats?

I have also applied but have no heard back yet...

I had 4.03/4.5 in the last 60. Okay EC (few volunteering here and there). Reference letters should have been strong I believe. Oh and I am from Manitoba. Hope you all hear soon. The date to accept interview is Feb 21.

Thanks for replying. I applied with 4.3/4.5 in last 60. I believe I have decent  EC's (volunteering in healthcare, a bit of research, and work experience in healthcare setting. Reference letters I felt were strong because everyone I asked I explicity asked if they feel comfortable writing " a strong recommendation for me". My one thing I am worried about is that I am actually situated in Toronto. I really hope I atleast get an interview as this or being a doctor are my dream professions. Good luck everyone!

Congratulations and goodluck :) I am still waiting on hearing back from them. Were you notified through and email or did the interview offer showed up under the application? 

Cant speak for tpfan, however I received an email in the afternoon. It was unexpected, as I was actually expecting something in the mail! hahaha

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I am thinking of applying to the next cycle of admissions. My GPA isn't great 3.55/4.5 in the last 60 credit hrs and I have yet to take Biochem. I am currently a registered nurse working in ER and I live in a rural location in Manitoba. I know the U of M values rural applicants. I don't want to return to school to take Biochem if I'm not competitive. I'd prefer the PA role to an NP role due to the medical model approach. I could always go the NP route which I believe I have a great chance at getting in, but I feel the PA route allows me to play a greater role in medicine and patient care.  So would I be competitive as someone with acute first hand experience with patients, coupled with rural roots and a mediocre GPA?

Thanks, J

I can't say for certain as I've only applied for this year's intake, but it's my understanding that the UofM takes a holistic approach and looks at the entire application. You've got some really great attributes working in the ER and being rural- a place where the PA role can flourish provided there is the workforce for it. I say why not give it a shot, GPA isn't everything. 

Hi guys,

I am thinking of applying to the next cycle of admissions. My GPA isn't great 3.55/4.5 in the last 60 credit hrs and I have yet to take Biochem. I am currently a registered nurse working in ER and I live in a rural location in Manitoba. I know the U of M values rural applicants. I don't want to return to school to take Biochem if I'm not competitive. I'd prefer the PA role to an NP role due to the medical model approach. I could always go the NP route which I believe I have a great chance at getting in, but I feel the PA route allows me to play a greater role in medicine and patient care.  So would I be competitive as someone with acute first hand experience with patients, coupled with rural roots and a mediocre GPA?

Thanks, J

• 2 weeks later...

What I've been hearing from previous students/applicants is that responses tend to come out in the two weeks after interviews. Someone else told me the Program Director mentioned that you should hear back by the end of April.

I actually received a phone call Thursday mid day from the Program Coordinator saying I was accepted.

I hope you guys get a phone call soon if you haven't had one already!

Congrats!!

I wonder if they send out invites all on the same day or periodically throughout the week. Does anyone know?

Not sure, I could have received the phone call on Wednesday, I only noticed I had the phone call on Thursday as a missed call. Normally I don't call back random phone numbers, for once I'm glad I did! 

I received a call last week Wednesday telling me I was accepted as well!! Looking forward to meeting my fellow classmates :)

If you haven't heard from them yet you should be getting something from them this week I think.

Congrats! Looking forward to meeting you guys/gals!

Archived