Premed 101 Forums

Advice For Non Medical Student

So I am writing to you in hopes of getting advice from students who have pursued programs in BSC, nursing, medical school etc. I completed high school and studied a B.A. right now i am working in education (not a teacher, but an assistant) but I hope to return back to school and study a Bsc part time while working full time. I have no science background because I never took science in high school. I would like to go back and become a nurse or maybe even pursue a bsc and later go into nursing. I will be enrolling in online courses to complete my biology, chemistry and also upgrade my math credits. I just want to know from experienced students what the course load is like and also the success rate in achieving a high GPA because Who knows if all goes well i can apply to med school. If i do get in, even for general sciences would it be better for someone who has no science background to take their time and go part time (1 course a week) for a better success rate? I dont plan on going full time again unless I get into a really good program.

Hi Lotus,

There is a lot going on in your post so I am going to focus on a few main points to get you started. You seem to be using nursing, a bachelors degree in science, and medical school interchangeably, which is in fact not the case. They are all very different programs with different criteria for admission and also very different outcomes following graduation. I would suggest you do a bit more research to clarify exactly what it is you are hoping to achieve with the degree and also what your plans are for your education.

A BSc degree is typically a stepping stone to another degree (or at least has become so recently) as most job prospects in the industry with just that degree are limited. Students will often go on to pursue graduate studies (either professional or research), medicine, pharmacy, or switch fields. There is no guarantees for any of these routes and again, each of these have very very different requirements for admission so this is something you will need to spend a bit more time researching. I know many students (in medicine as well) with no science background who are excelling quite well in the program. It is definitely possible, but you are at a disadvantage and it just means more work will be required on your part. 

For medicine specifically, your BA marks will likely still count for most schools that you apply to in addition to your new grades should you return. Some schools have policies that will forgive your early marks, but again, more research for you to do on your own time. Getting into medical school in Canada is unbelievably challenging and requires years of commitment (often well beyond a few years of undergraduate studies) to get in. This is not to deter you, but to help you set realistic expectations of the road you are about to embark down. Lastly, most schools will require grades from "full-time" studies and will not accept courses taken on a part-time basis. Most schools like to see that you can handle an intense course load to prepare yourself for school. At a rate of 1 course/week as you suggested, this will be a very long road.

Finally, how well you do is entirely up to you. You need to develop good study habits and have a goal in mind that will push you to succeed. Take a look at some of the past threads below regarding the people who have been accepted and you will see the types of grades it will take to get you accepted. Of course it is possible to achieve a high GPA, but there is no "success rate". It is dependent on the individual and their work ethic and drive. Only you really know that.

To summarize for you: You really need to spend some time researching exactly what you want to do, come up with a plan and then decide if it is worth it for you to pursue. Nobody here will be able to answer that last part. This path takes dedication and you need to prepare yourself for a long road and a tough battle ahead. It won't be a walk in the park but it is 100% possible if you want it enough. Each school has their own policies and knowing these before you get started will serve you well. Good luck. 

Everything Robclem said is great advice. Just want to emphasize a few points.

1) If you are planning on applying to medical school at any point, part time studies does not count towards your GPA with one or two very fringe exceptions. You can do all the part time courses you want and it will never bring your GPA up for a medical school ap. The only way to change your GPA is to be enrolled and taking full time credits towards a degree.

2) Look at the after degree in nursing. It has very specific requirements that you may be able to work towards part time but will cut your overall time in school down because you already have a BA.

3) Careful with part time studies. As mentioned you need to keep a good study routine and habits because the last ting you want to do is have a bunch of incomplete (or worse Fs) on your transcripts no matter what you are applying for. As someone who worked and did courses part time (for prerequisites) I will tell you that this can be easier said than done sometimes.

4) GL

Archived