Premed 101 Forums

Should I Go Into Computer Science To Be Better Prepared For The Future Of Medicine?

Olle

It's quite apparent at this point that synthetic biology/genomics, bioinformatics, and genomic medicine will take over medicine...

And for that reason, I'm thinking of majoring in [CS & cell biology] or [CS & microbiology]. But because I'm in first year science I don't know what to expect... 

Should I focus on one aspect of the life sciences or should I incorporate CS?

Thanks.

Ummm I would say that isn't even close to remotely true and would suggest that you major in 1) something you can do well in 2) something you enjoy 3) something you can do for a back up career

Thanks! But what do you mean that it "isn't... remotely true"? As far as I understand synthetic biology & genomics is the future of medicine & biology?

1) TBH I donno if I can do well in cs b/c I have absolutely zero knowledge of cs atm.

2) Synthetic biology sounds interesting but I guess I can approach that through learning just biology...

3) Comp sci is definitely a good backup which was one of the reasons why I'm thinking of this field (I heard bioinformatics is near 100% employable with good pay)

and I'm scared that I'll be left with a 14$/hr job if I major in something biology related.

Thanks for the reply!

DON'T DO IT!!!

I tried to do this exact same thing in first year, bio-medical science + computer science at Guelph. Oh man was I naive.. it was a complete disaster lmao

My advice would be to pick one or the other (go with what you enjoy more), and focus on that! 

DON'T DO IT!!!

I tried to do this exact same thing in first year, bio-medical science + computer science at Guelph. Oh man was I naive.. it was a complete disaster lmao

My advice would be to pick one or the other (go with what you enjoy more), and focus on that! 

Thanks! Like you mean it was super difficult?

Thanks! Like you mean it was super difficult?

Very - and for no reason.

If you want to take the computer science route, you don't need the biology degree

If you want to take the med school route, you don't need the computer science degree

Taking both, I found, hinders your success in both routes. If you take both, it will be harder to maintain a GPA worthy of med school AND you will have less time to obtain a mastery of the skills needed to be successful in computer science. So that's why I would recommended picking one and dedicating all your time and energy on that. 

If you want to take the computer science route, you don't need the biology degree

If you want to take the med school route, you don't need the computer science degree

Taking both, I found, hinders your success in both routes. If you take both, it will be harder to maintain a GPA worthy of med school AND you will have less time to obtain a mastery of the skills needed to be successful in computer science. So that's why I would recommended picking one and dedicating all your time and energy on that. 

Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the advice. 

My experience isn't as extreme as CS vs. life sciences, but yeah, taking a broad range of courses wears you REALLY thin. You become a jack of a bunch of traits, and a master of none. It's also really hard to switch gears from one to another. And because fields are getting so specialized now a days, it's becoming harder and harder to accomplish this "merger" of professions.

If you're interested in CS as a career, devote yourself to it.

If you're interested in medicine, but are concerned about the future, there are a myriad of free online CS courses you take can to gain a better understanding of the field. But yeah, my opinion would to be focus on the biology. 

My experience isn't as extreme as CS vs. life sciences, but yeah, taking a broad range of courses wears you REALLY thin. You become a jack of a bunch of traits, and a master of none. It's also really hard to switch gears from one to another. And because fields are getting so specialized now a days, it's becoming harder and harder to accomplish this "merger" of professions.

If you're interested in CS as a career, devote yourself to it.

If you're interested in medicine, but are concerned about the future, there are a myriad of free online CS courses you take can to gain a better understanding of the field. But yeah, my opinion would to be focus on the biology. 

Thanks again. I guess I made up my mind to dig deep into biology & genetics. 

Also, off topic, but what are your guys' opinions on the genomics revolution in medicine and how that will change medicine? Will the job for doctors become more predictable and less sophisticated due to genomics? How do you think this will change your job?

3) Comp sci is definitely a good backup which was one of the reasons why I'm thinking of this field (I heard bioinformatics is near 100% employable with good pay)

and I'm scared that I'll be left with a 14$/hr job if I major in something biology related.

Be careful about this. The field is not as employable at the moment as you think (unless you already happen to have a job in it). Yes, the field is growing, but these jobs mostly exist in hospitals and are quite saturated with people who have been in that field for quite some time. Furthermore, MHI (masters of health informatics) programs are filled mainly with people already in this field going back to upgrade their credentials. It can be a challenge to get entry into this field. Maybe this will change by the time you graduate though.

Thanks again. I guess I made up my mind to dig deep into biology & genetics. 

Also, off topic, but what are your guys' opinions on the genomics revolution in medicine and how that will change medicine? Will the job for doctors become more predictable and less sophisticated due to genomics? How do you think this will change your job?

99.5% hype about .0002% reality. I have a molecular biology based undergrad with a pile of bioinformatics and genetics courses. As a resident now, in a research heavy field, I use absolutely none of it on a daily basis. There is no "revolution" and there is nothing on the horizon, at least in this country. It is all potential right now and it is all hype to sell research and get stuff published. The clinical aspects of genetics is incredibly limited and I don't see a day where we are routinely getting full analysis done on people. No matter how cheap they make it there is all the insurance aspects of sequencing everyone, will never happen. 

If this stuff interests you then by all means go for it, but from my experience I have just not seen anything that makes me suspect that a degree in computer sciences or bioinformatics will be clinically relevant in the next 30 years (your career span) despite all the hype of my undergrad professors and popular science articles. I definitely would not try and build a career on it. Granted this is the perspective of a surgical resident and we aren't known for our deep thoughts and intellectualism.

you are absolutely right you don't need both. 

I have both and it was a challenge. I should say if you do manage to have both though it is a powerful combination. I mean there are very few people in medicine that have a computer science background. However the barrier is getting in to medical school in the first place that should probably be the major focus if that is your goal. 

Archived