Premed 101 Forums

2017 Carms Match Results!

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting results - despite all the talk about shifting relative competitiveness of things there are 4 remaining internal medicine spots and only a single surgery spot in the 2nd round. As usual a bit less than 1/2 of the spots are in Quebec. 

They did cut down the number of surgical residency spots across the country, however, the interest is still there! If you love OR and can't see yourself in anything else besides gen surg, people still apply broadly and build up a very competitive application :)

For IM, the 4 spots, 3 of them require a ROS contact, I guess that they were initially for IMG (NOSM and UBC)?

Very interesting results - despite all the talk about shifting relative competitiveness of things there are 4 remaining internal medicine spots and only a single surgery spot in the 2nd round. As usual a bit less than 1/2 of the spots are in Quebec. 

rad onc seems not to be very popular this year

and what's up with ottawa derm? how can it not be filled?

you get weird stuff like that from time to time :) The worse part is when people use this rare events to make it like the 2nd round has competitive things routinely. Any number of reasons why the program didn't fill. 

They did cut down the number of surgical residency spots across the country, however, the interest is still there! If you love OR and can't see yourself in anything else besides gen surg, people still apply broadly and build up a very competitive application :)

For IM, the 4 spots, 3 of them require a ROS contact, I guess that they were initially for IMG (NOSM and UBC)?

True! There really isn't much left except family 

Lots of things unfilled at ottawa...

true there is some stuff clustered there - including that sole surgery urology spot and the derm one. 

Some of it makes sense - nuclear medicine is not a popular field, psych at Ottawa is a program that needs some work (and I am sure they are in fact working on it now post accreditation), medical micro, public health....aren't that popular.

My old school of Western didn't leave much on the table.  

Urology and Derm at Ottawa are very likely rolled over IMG spots. U of O likely tries to force programs to take an IMG against their wishes so the program's leave the spot unfilled. Then they can either try to not match it at all or take a CMG out of the next round.

We've seen it happen over and over for the past few years for the IMG positions.

Urology and Derm at Ottawa are very likely rolled over IMG spots. U of O likely tries to force programs to take an IMG against their wishes so the program's leave the spot unfilled. Then they can either try to not match it at all or take a CMG out of the next round.

We've seen it happen over and over for the past few years for the IMG positions.

Oh so if an FM spot is unfilled in Ottawa but has a (*), then any CMG can still go for it? Or is it purely for IMGs? 

And I'm sorry to hear that, amichel. Hope a more experienced member here can help!

I am so sorry to hear this amichel.....Hang in there!

The question to ask first:  if you want to do the second iteration and match to family medicine. As a CMG, you have a great chance.

I also saw that there is a 1 Ped Spot at Sask!

Or take a year off to strengthen your application and re-apply to pediatrics next year! This strategy has worked for a lot of people in the past!

Go talk to your faculty advisor and vice-dean ASAP, to see if they could accommodate you, and what they think.

I am so sorry again, and stay strong!!!

So, I think most of my class knows now, so might as well spill the news here.

I didn't match. I had 8 interviews which I thought went well. I'm devestated, shocked and struggling to move forward.

Not sure what I'm going to do.

The FM spot with an * is open to CMGs and IMGs.

For the first iteration, IMGs only apply to IMG designated spots.

For the 2nd iteration, the IMG could apply to all the residency spots along with CMGs. Hope that helps!

In all honestly, the programs prefer qualified CMGs over IMGs. Hang in there amichel!

Oh so if an FM spot is unfilled in Ottawa but has a (*), then any CMG can still go for it? Or is it purely for IMGs? 

And I'm sorry to hear that, amichel. Hope a more experienced member here can help!

I didn't match. I had 8 interviews which I thought went well. I'm devestated, shocked and struggling to move forward.

sorry to hear that :( I know the 2nd round comes fast and hard but take a bit of time to regroup. Unmatching happens to great people every year and is often due to factors outside of the applicant control. That doesn't make it any easier but you will find a way forward. 

For the 2nd iteration, the IMG could apply to all the residency spots along with CMGs. Hope that helps!

In all honestly, the programs prefer qualified CMGs over IMGs. Hang in there amichel!

for the most part - some programs do like the fact they can access the entire world for some of their positions (in some cases you can scoop up someone who even is already a full doctor that way - which can make training them quite a bit easier). It is complicated

Thanks for clarifying. Purely interested in PHPM so glad to see there are unfilled spots :) 

So sorry. Hope you can find a good outcome from this. The only advice I have is that if you're considering 2nd round at all, now would be the time to reach out to your supporters/referees, who can provide updated letters of how shocked they were at this as well.

What's going on with ottawa psych, out of the loop. Did their accreditation not go well?

Yeah issues were raised and will be addressed. That is the point of accreditation I think - it is not so much punitive as just a way for 100% forcing schools to keep on track. Ottawa psych will go down that route and come out a better program for it. 

Archived