Premed 101 Forums

Current Student Ot Willing To Answer Questions/help :)

Hi Everyone!

I am a current year 1 student OT, and I know how stressful application/interviews are! I can do my best to answer any general questions you may have about the process and more importantly the program/what to expect! I am at McMaster so keep in mind mind that this program is quite different than some of the others :)

Good luck everyone!

I'm also a current OT student at Mac, and figured since the poster hasn't had a chance to answer these questions (year ones are on placement right now and pretty busy!) that I could jump in.

In terms of prepping for interview, I just recommend practicing a ton. They don't expect you to know content related to OT specifically (because you'll be taught that!) but they want to see what type of person you are and how you handle yourself in tricky situations like an intimidating interview. I recommend finding a partner, or googling scenarios, and practices giving answers just like you will have to in the interview.

Also reflect on your experiences and how they've prepared you for OT, and examples of skills (e.g. Times you demonstrated conflict resolution, problem-solving, etc.).

All the interviewers are great and want you to succeed! (I might be there helping out so maybe I'll see you!)

As for the second question...I'm a traditional student so can't speak personally to the experience of older students (and my cohort is unusually young). However I have found that the older students' life experiences have been particularly helpful in our PBL sessions often, giving us real life context, and probably could be helpful in many assignments where you look at issues out in the "real world," which can be harder for those without a lot of real life "adult" time.

Everyone has life outside of school that can interfere with our learning time, especially the older students with families - but I think the self-directed style of McMaster can be helpful with this because you decide what you need to do and work on at any time.

I hope some of this is helpful and am happy to also answer more questions! :)

Oh and the written stations. I found them challenging, but as long as you understand the time limit and just tailor your answer to as much detail as you feel you can get through in that time frame, it should be ok. You just have to know yourself well - and think, they don't expect an essay, they know you only have a limited amount of time!

Hi Everyone!

I am a current year 1 student OT, and I know how stressful application/interviews are! I can do my best to answer any general questions you may have about the process and more importantly the program/what to expect! I am at McMaster so keep in mind mind that this program is quite different than some of the others :)

Good luck everyone!

Hi, thanks for offering to help! I had an interview at Mac last year, but didn't get in. I felt like I messed up on the writing station. I wasn't expecting it to be the way it was (I thought it would be a personal question, but it was an abstract with questions) and felt like I ran out of time. Do you have any good resources for practicing these types of questions for the writing station?  

I'm also a current OT student at Mac, and figured since the poster hasn't had a chance to answer these questions (year ones are on placement right now and pretty busy!) that I could jump in.

In terms of prepping for interview, I just recommend practicing a ton. They don't expect you to know content related to OT specifically (because you'll be taught that!) but they want to see what type of person you are and how you handle yourself in tricky situations like an intimidating interview. I recommend finding a partner, or googling scenarios, and practices giving answers just like you will have to in the interview.

Also reflect on your experiences and how they've prepared you for OT, and examples of skills (e.g. Times you demonstrated conflict resolution, problem-solving, etc.).

All the interviewers are great and want you to succeed! (I might be there helping out so maybe I'll see you!)

As for the second question...I'm a traditional student so can't speak personally to the experience of older students (and my cohort is unusually young). However I have found that the older students' life experiences have been particularly helpful in our PBL sessions often, giving us real life context, and probably could be helpful in many assignments where you look at issues out in the "real world," which can be harder for those without a lot of real life "adult" time.

Everyone has life outside of school that can interfere with our learning time, especially the older students with families - but I think the self-directed style of McMaster can be helpful with this because you decide what you need to do and work on at any time.

I hope some of this is helpful and am happy to also answer more questions! :)

Thank you very much for your insight!

Archived