Premed 101 Forums

Does Anyone Know What Kind Of Stats It Takes To Make It As A Oop Student?

Although not explicitly stated anywhere, it seems that Dal's main criteria for OOP interview invites is the 250 word maritime connection essay. If you can effectively show them why you'd like to practice medicine in the maritimes after graduation (as well as meet the academic requirements), you should have a good shot at getting an interview.

For OOP , Dal requires a higher GPA (3.7) and MCAT (506/125) threshold vs in-province. 

The Maritime Essay seems to have strong bearing on getting the interview.  What they actually look for is not so clear. I would expect they are looking for people that would stay in the Maritimes to practice. I think you have a good background to write a compelling story for the Maritime connection doing your undergrad there. Maybe tie in how you might connect Dal med to Dal engineering research in same essay

OOP are not in the same pool as in-province. In 2016 they interviewed  ~55 out of 724 applications for 9 spots only.  .  The statistical chance for interview is not very good -- but someone gets an interview  - so why not you !

They do final acceptance by mathematical score.   GPA/MCAT count for total of 25% - interview/EC are big part.

https://medicine.dal.ca/departments/core-units/admissions/about/class-profile.html

This is what came in my rejection letter last year. These were the average scores of the individuals offered a seat:

Average GPA = 3.9 (14/15)

Average MCAT = 33 (9/10)

Average 2015 MCAT = 514 (8/10)

Average Supplemental/Essay = 24.7/35

Average MMI = 32.6/40

Hope that answers your question!

Archived