Premed 101 Forums

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure you can assume that this means that everyone's verifiers will be contacted... I am 90% sure that none of mine were. There is of course a chance that someone was contacted and didn't tell me, but I would be surprised if that were the case.

I would be more surprised to find out that someone got in without any of their verifiers contacted, but stranger things have happened...

This time last year I sent an email out to my verifiers telling them that there is a chance they might be contacted by U of C soon and one of them replied saying they were already contacted.  Not sure that they would've taken the initiative to email me if I didn't prompt them first.

are you sure? I was told by someone that they send an email with description and hours and ask to reply confirming it.

I was actually told the same thing.  They probably call first and if they don't get anyone, they send an email.  I'm sure a lot of applicants have busy people as verifiers and it would be unreasonable to expect that those people can answer their phones at any given time during the day.

Wanted to update everyone: two of my top ten verifiers were contacted today!

Edit: specifically, by email.

Also, it's early in April and I just thought I'd put this out there: they are potentially going by surname (mine starts with D). Maybe everyone else who's gotten theirs verified could confirm this. Do not worry, though! They will check yours too, and no having them checked yet means nothing in terms of admissions!

Do you know what was asked in the email? And yea, what you say makes sense. My friend whose surname was a C got contacted yesterday. 

My surname starts with B and my first name starts with S, but my verifiers were not contacted.  

Can a medical student clarify the process?

Boohwal:  what does your surname start with? 

Thank you,

-Anxious pre-med

assuming it takes them an additional 2 weeks finish verifier checks, and an additional week to rank/finalize things that means we can potentially hear back before this month is over?! 

(doubt someone can provide this info- do you remember when the first person on pm101 last year said they got told from a verifier that UofC contacted them? From that we can guess how long it takes for the start of verifier checks until decisions come out)

^nvm to above...just checked, there was a person who reported verifier checks back on March 28 last year...so it looks like they started verifier checks 1 week late this year or maybe people got their verifiers checked and haven't posted on pm101 or even asked their verifiers that they were contacted? 

Take it easy dude...

Sort of an update on admissions blog. Though they I'd post it here.

" Staffing changes in the office of admissions:

Lots of administrative change for us in the last little while. As some people already know, our Coordinator of Admissions, April, is currently on medical leave. This has left us a bit challenged to respond to applicants in a timely manner and to carry out some of the other functions of the office. Our new staff member, Renee, is coming on board on Monday and we are very excited to get her up to speed as quickly as possible. Please be patient with us as we do so.

Also, applicants should note that we have moved. Phone numbers remain the same, but our office is now G212, not G740"

On 4/7/2017 at 11:01 PM, excellentinterviewee said:

On 4/7/2017 at 9:01 PM, excellentinterviewee said:

My surname starts with B and my first name starts with S, but my verifiers were not contacted.  

Can a medical student clarify the process?

Boohwal:  what does your surname start with? 

Thank you,

-Anxious pre-med

Going to slightly change the countdown to a more realistic timeframe considering the most recent blog post....Im thinking most likely offers will come out sometime between April 20 - May 10, in the best case 12 days left and worst case 32 days left.

I'd rule out any date prior to May given what Dr. Walker said about the April release being an anomaly and the current staffing issues they have in their admissions office. Like others have said, it's easiest on the nerves to assume it's going to come out on May 15th and be pleasantly surprised otherwise.

Alright so I will reiterate for emphasis:

April is impossible. It only happened once in the last long while, and it only happened because admissions worked extremely hard to give people an earlier answer so that rejected applicants could get themselves ready to take the new MCAT - This was the last year the old MCAT was valid.

Every other year has been early May, but this they were short-staffed for the entire post-interview leg of the application process. This means that they will likely not release it as early as before, except if they maybe took corners with the applications, which I am willing to bet my entry into the program, they have not.

Now I was the one who proposed May 15th as a good date. Here's why: On my iteration of the post-MMI presentation, Dr. Walker mentioned that this year's cross-Canada last day for a medical school to have given all of its Admissions/Rejections/Waitlist Placements is May 30th. He went on to mention that he has no doubt they will be able to give us an answer a couple weeks before that.

Alright, now take what we know from other years: Around May 4th let's say. It's impossible to say how late they are, but they are late, so May 4th is nigh on impossible. Add a little bit less than a couple weeks: Bam, May 15th. 

I'd rule out any date prior to May given what Dr. Walker said about the April release being an anomaly and the current staffing issues they have in their admissions office. Like others have said, it's easiest on the nerves to assume it's going to come out on May 15th and be pleasantly surprised otherwise.

This is how I approached things in our year. The date kept on getting pushed back for offers to be released and I felt stress creeping up. I chose May 15th since this is when other schools are mandated to release. It helped me let things go and get on with doing activities that were more healthy.

I think many people pursuing medical school deal with higher levels of neuroticism and anxiety than the general public . You really need to find a way to reframe your thinking because, believe me, the pressures get worse both on an acute and a chronic basis if you receive the good news of an acceptance. There will always be a "next" thing to ramp you up. Always here to talk it out via PM and such as well.

I totally agree with Borborygmi. A couple weeks ago I found myself thinking so much about the future that I had neglected some of the activities that I enjoy on a daily basis. I had to pick myself back up and remind myself that there are more important things right now. Music and friends and two jobs have kept me going since :D I find it so easy to get into that mental limbo of the uncertainty, but I'm over it (mostly). 

If my verifiers are not getting contacted, what does this mean? Is it random or does that mean that I am not getting an offer :( . I hope it is the former :/

I don't think anyone can give you a 100% affirmative answer here unless it's something that is coming from the admissions office  :P They seemed to have just started the verifier contacting process this past week so there is a chance your verifiers haven't been contacted yet. I wouldn't worry too much  :)

Archived