Premed 101 Forums

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesican55, just remember that the mathematical 50/50 doesn't apply when you actually consider everything. Some people go into interviews with a low score, barely able to get the 102 points. For these people, unless they really rock the MMIs out of the park, their chance of getting in is still pretty slim. This is not to sound defeatist at all. It's just so that people are not expecting their chance of getting in to be about a coin toss, because it really isn't so in the end. For some other people, everything is in their favour, and so their chance would be much higher.

How do I get my hopes down so I don't get crushed by a rejection? Simple statistics and common sense tell me that I should act like I already got a rejection and prepare for the next year, but my heart says you got this.

As someone who had extremely high hopes a couple years ago, even though my application wasn't nearly as good as it is now, I was definetly crushed by not getting in of either of UofA or UofC waitlist. I wasn't even able to study for the MCAT, so I voided and couldn't even apply that year (new MCAT year). I think it was because I defined my worth by gaining acceptance into med. Which is wrong but still do to an extent.

What my mind set is now, and has been ever since is that I have a purpose in life. I don't know exactly what it is, but I have a vision of what I want it to be and there are many ways I will get there. Even if I never get into any medical or dental school as a backup. Seriously look at the pros and cons of med school that will help. It's not all sunshine and rainbows. If you don't get in and have to take a year off, especially if it's right after undergrad you will truly appreciate it and be ready and excited to get back to school a year later.

That be said. I second KEEPING YOURSELF BUSY. Try new things, tavel a bit if you can, it can be a road trip which is usually a lot cheaper too. Things I suggest you can do with friends; go to board game cafés (I suggest Settlers of Catan) or try an escape room. If you want to just relax try a sensory deprivation/float tank. Lastly give back in whatever what you can, make yourself feel connected to more than your emotions of getting into med school. The other week at my job a homeless man was hanging out looking for cigarettes, I asked him if he wanted to eat and invited him into the restaurant and he sat down and I payed for him with my discount. I then joined him for 15 mins between a delivery and heard his story. I realized how fortunate I am in that moment to even stress about getting in. No matter what happens with results I have my health, my family, my friends and so much more to be greatful for.

This year they interviewed 537 people (432 IP, 105 OOP)-.they make a total of ~240-270 offers to people when everything is said and done (this includes first round offers, offers from the waitlist, people who defer, people who get an offer from waitlist and reject it etc, last year 251) and normally 210-230 of those 240-270 total offers go to IP......

(for context last year 223 IP got an offer)

So this year for IP:

210-230 IP will eventually get an offer / 432 IP interviewed = 49% - 53% of the IP who interviewed will eventually get an offer depending on waitlist movement....

(last year it was 50.5% of interviewed IP eventually got an offer)

definitely not as bad as so many people here make it seem...the stats are right here, take 5 min and look it up on the UofC site if this is news to you, sadly so many members have a defeatist attitude and this spreads...I'm not saying its easy to get in from the interview stage, I'm honoured to be here but you have to realize that there is another perspective 

If anything, if I don't get in I will feel even worse knowing that literally half of interviewed IP got an offer and I was in the other half..

No one should feel bad for not getting in, even if half of those interviewed were successful. Yes, 50% seems like a high number, but based on that logic, you have just as high of a chance being rejected as you have getting an offer. Not to mention, you are competing against amazingly accomplished, wonderful people who are intelligent and deserve to get in just as much as you do. 

Not to be a pessimist, but I think this approach of thinking about it is a little naive, and sets you up for a crushing blow if you aren't successful in getting an offer. 

Even assuming decisions were made randomly, I would not be so optimistic about such an important decision essentially coming down to a coin flip. Speaking from experience, you will set yourself up for major disappointment if you only look at the raw stats and ignore the many other important factors.

As someone who had extremely high hopes a couple years ago, even though my application wasn't nearly as good as it is now, I was definetly crushed by not getting in of either of UofA or UofC waitlist. I wasn't even able to study for the MCAT, so I voided and couldn't even apply that year (new MCAT year). I think it was because I defined my worth by gaining acceptance into med. Which is wrong but still do to an extent.

What my mind set is now, and has been ever since is that I have a purpose in life. I don't know exactly what it is, but I have a vision of what I want it to be and there are many ways I will get there. Even if I never get into any medical or dental school as a backup. Seriously look at the pros and cons of med school that will help. It's not all sunshine and rainbows. If you don't get in and have to take a year off, especially if it's right after undergrad you will truly appreciate it and be ready and excited to get back to school a year later.

That be said. I second KEEPING YOURSELF BUSY. Try new things, tavel a bit if you can, it can be a road trip which is usually a lot cheaper too. Things I suggest you can do with friends; go to board game cafés (I suggest Settlers of Catan) or try an escape room. If you want to just relax try a sensory deprivation/float tank. Lastly give back in whatever what you can, make yourself feel connected to more than your emotions of getting into med school. The other week at my job a homeless man was hanging out looking for cigarettes, I asked him if he wanted to eat and invited him into the restaurant and he sat down and I payed for him with my discount. I then joined him for 15 mins between a delivery and heard his story. I realized how fortunate I am in that moment to even stress about getting in. No matter what happens with results I have my health, my family, my friends and so much more to be greatful for.

This is great advice! I appreciate your mature outlook on life.

We're almost there, you guys. Ready?

Both yes and no for me! I am really looking forward to finding out the results but as May gets closer, the more nauseous/anxious I become!

My goal is to just keep busy and plan my life in a way so that regardless of the decision, I have something to look forward to (ie. going to med vs continuing to build my career vs travelling). The last thing I want to happen is to have this be the end-all-be-all for me and be absolutely crushed if it doesn't work out  :(  :)

To me it's been the complete opposite. After interviews, I kind of got consumed by what the future could hold with med vs. what it would be without med. I lost focus on living and doing the things that I liked. I had a lot of time to rethink that attitude. I've kind of built myself back up and I feel that now, the closer we get to May, the more self-sufficient I feel. This doesn't mean that I no longer let myself get all dreamy anymore. I still do. It's just that I've renegotiated the importance of things in my life. It kind of feels freeing :D

Anyone have any verifiers contacted recently...it has been quiet.

MT_93, My verifier said that she was given a week to verify and confirm. I feel that there is NOT too much time to contact verifiers. This is why I feel that the process is complete at this point.

If anyone had their verifiers checked this week, can you please comment :)

Any South Park fans here?

Remember the episode where Cartman can't wait a week for the Nintendo Wii to be released so he freezes himself so he can be thawed out a week later so the wait goes by quicker........anyone wanna go into 'hibernation' with me?

I can't find a youtube link but it's from Season 10, Episode 12.

Hey all I just spoke with René from MD Admissions and they have a final meeting on May 8th, and a tentative decision date of May 9th. She said it won't be earlier, but possibly a couple days later. She also said we can expect a blog update soon for more details.

Archived