Premed 101 Forums

YesICan55, I think you are putting an optimistic spin on what Dr. Walker said. I remember him saying that it's been known to happen, particularly a couple years ago, that the results can come earlier than May. He then proceeded to say, at least in my iteration of the presentation, that it will, in all likelihood, be a week or two into May but certainly much before the deadline of May 30th, which is the cross-country deadline for all schools to have offered their results.

I remember him saying that it will be sent in early May as well. Does any one know when exactly?

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way I see it is that they have room to play with. I really think that they are very unlikely to cut corners with this process. That means that they will very likely still contact a couple references per candidate who's been through the interview stage. The catch is that, earlier this year, one of the three staff who helps go through all the admissions documentation had taken a prolonged leave due to sickness. Whether or not he/she is back and helping run the show, who knows. If he/she will be on leave for the remainder of this application cycle, that almost certainly means that we'll be hearing back from them later than, say, first week of May. My conclusion then is that it'll probably be around May 15th, more likely plus than minus a few days.

Realistically speaking, what are the odds that an applicant will be accepted from their first interview? I keep hearing of stories of people who had to interview 2+ times.  Also, in my slot, when Dr. Walker asked who had MMI interview before? More than half of the interviewees raised their hands. 

Is it common to interview more than once?

It is definitely possible...I personally know of six friends who all got in on their first interview last year (all were in 3rd year UG as well), out of of 10 people I knew who interviewed as a third year UG...so it can be done. For some reason the people who had to interview multiple times are the ones who people talk about way more often (no disrespect), not sure why

Wow.. you must know all the students in medical school who were admitted as 3rd year UG students. Good News, I did not know that there are that many applicants accepted as 3rd year UG students!! Do they have insanely high GPA and MCAT scores?  

All the applicants that I spoke to who interviewed more than once seemed quite qualified which worries me.  

Yeah gradschooldream, it is very common for people to interview more than once. I think the Canadian statistic is that about 23% of first-time applicants make it in. Also, the average applicant applies 2.7 times before acceptance.

Don't take these to heart, however. The population statistic is really hard to apply to individuals.

Yeah gradschooldream, it is very common for people to interview more than once. I think the Canadian statistic is that about 23% of first-time applicants make it in. Also, the average applicant applies 2.7 times before acceptance.

Don't take these to heart, however. The population statistic is really hard to apply to individuals.

23% is not that bad.  I hope I don't interview more than once.

They did not contact my verifiers.. is that a bad sign?

This year, U of A contacted the verifiers of most applicants pre-interview, and a lot of them did not get interviews. 

Having your verifiers contacted at this point in the application process does not give any indication about the state of your application, whether you will be accepted, WL or rejected.  

Contacting verifiers is a random process. However, sometimes,  if file reviewers believe an activity is so good to be true, they will probably flag this activity and contact the verifiers.

Dr. Walker said that they will be doing verifier checks in March and April. I don't know anyone who got their verifiers checked yet, I am not sure if they already started the verifiers check process or not yet.

will they contact everyone's verifiers? or will it be random? or will they contact just those who will be admitted? 

Everyone's verifiers will be contacted, regardless of whether or not their cumulative scores warrant an offer of admission/position on the wait list. 

Your follow-up question will be "Why would they bother contacting the verifiers of individuals who don't stand a chance to get an offer?"  Who knows.  But they do.

What is your source on that info, also do you know if they do it by phone or email?

Dr. Ian Walker, comments section from the Feb 12, 2016 post:

"Verifiers are contacted at random, and we start the process before we have even an prospective rank order list at our disposal, so you can’t predict anything about acceptance / rejection based on whether verifiers have been contacted or not."  

Dr. Ian Walker, comments section from the Feb 12, 2016 post:

"Verifiers are contacted at random, and we start the process before we have even an prospective rank order list at our disposal, so you can’t predict anything about acceptance / rejection based on whether verifiers have been contacted or not."  

Not sure you can assume that this means that everyone's verifiers will be contacted... I am 90% sure that none of mine were. There is of course a chance that someone was contacted and didn't tell me, but I would be surprised if that were the case.

9 days left if we find out April 15 (best case) and 32 days left if we find out May 8 (worst case) !

Still hoping for a surprise in April, but my guess is Monday, May 1 or Monday, May 8 is when we find out as last 2 years have been released on a Monday...

Last year was a Tuesday

Archived