Premed 101 Forums

Immunizations (After Acceptance)

Hey guys,

I've been getting varied responses about this after looking through past threads, so I'm hoping someone with more recent experience might be able to provide insight. A lot of dental schools require students to have immunizations against certain viruses/diseases.  For those immunizations that require multiple, spaced out visits to the doctor/pharmacist, do all these visits need to be completed before the start of class?  Or can a student still be admitted even if they are part-way through the immunization?

Hopefully the answer to this gives everyone an idea of how early they need to start getting their shots if they get acceptances.

Thanks a lot

Start right away.

It took a lot of boosters for me to get my Hep B where it needed to be. I wasn't responding properly for some reason, and it affected my first year activities, which I had to make up in second year. Total pain. Do it right away.

Okay If I get accepted I'll start as soon as possible.  Thanks for the advice!

Okay If I get accepted I'll start as soon as possible.  Thanks for the advice!

Why not start now? If something in healthcare is your goal you will need it regardless! May as well start now rather than wasting two months before they send out acceptances! Just my 2 cents! :) 

Why not start now? If something in healthcare is your goal you will need it regardless! May as well start now rather than wasting two months before they send out acceptances! Just my 2 cents! :)

That's a good point.  I'll have to consider that!  Thanks!

I agree.

This is what I meant in my post by starting right away. There's no reason to wait until acceptance. What's the downside of being up to date on your vaccines?

I just figured since some schools have specific vaccinations they want you to have, if you don't get accepted there but get the vaccine(s) (which may or may not be really expensive) then it seems hard on the wallet.  On the other hand, yeah, being up to date on vaccines doesn't seem like a bad idea.  But if the risk of catching a certain illness is really low and is only higher when exposed to all the tools/equipment used in dentistry, then maybe that's a reason to wait.  Just my thoughts!

What vaccines are they asking you to get???

I just remember Hep B and the TB test, but it's a long time ago now. I don't remember paying for anything, but I was in Quebec, so maybe that's part of it??

I think it depends on the school, but for example, UofT asks for Tuberculin, Rubella, Tetanus, Polio and Hep B.  I know for Hep B multiple visits are required, and luckily I got that one done earlier.  Hopefully the other ones don't take too much time.  I think cost also depends on what type of vaccine you get.  I remember having to pay for Hep B (in Alberta)

I think it depends on the school, but for example, UofT asks for Tuberculin, Rubella, Tetanus, Polio and Hep B.  I know for Hep B multiple visits are required, and luckily I got that one done earlier.  Hopefully the other ones don't take too much time.  I think cost also depends on what type of vaccine you get.  I remember having to pay for Hep B (in Alberta)

Erm, if you grew up in Alberta, you should already have been vaccinated for Rubella, Tetanus & Polio if your parents followed the routine vaccination schedule.

I guarantee you that every dental school will require you to have a TB test and Hep B immunizations.

Have you looked at your immunization records at all? This is genuinely just something you have to do anytime you work in even the mildest of healthcare roles (even as a volunteer at a hospital for example), and is a complete non-issue.

Archived