Premed 101 Forums

What To Do Summer Before Med School If Considering Derm

Hey, I have been reading up on what to do the summer before first year med school and everyone says relax and enjoy your summer.. unless you're considering derm/plastics. I happen to be considering derm, so I was wondering what I should do this summer. I'm thinking maybe I need to start shadowing some dermatologists and get some research projects early on or study ahead? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Hey, I have been reading up on what to do the summer before first year med school and everyone says relax and enjoy your summer.. unless you're considering derm/plastics. I happen to be considering derm, so I was wondering what I should do this summer. I'm thinking maybe I need to start shadowing some dermatologists and get some research projects early on or study ahead? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

I also was considering derm until I realized it wasn't for me when I shadowed during first year. If there's any advice to take it's to be open minded going into medical school... not meaning to be rude or anything but you should get some exposure to everything before making a gung ho decision like that. 

- G

A lot of people change their minds about specialty before medical school, I feel you, it's really tough when you become interested in derm so late, but what you really should know is that derm IS still possible, good luck! 

If going for somethings super-competitive like Derm or Plastics, it is preferable to get on things early and lay the groundwork for residency applications. The summer before medical school, however, is WAY too early. Use this time to do whatever you'd like - take time off, vacation, volunteer, work, whatever you want to do. This is not the time to do what you think others want you to do - there'll be plenty of that coming.

Archived