Premed 101 Forums

Post Interview Discussion

to be honest ultimately like to see if moved forward a bit - to say at least mid April. That way you can actually plan out your summer and make reasonable plans for the following year. Mid May is too late for a great deal of things. 

similarly there is some debate about whether we should just use a CARMS like system for medical school admissions as well. Basically that would mean that you would know exactly what is going to happen no matter what on the acceptance day - no waitlists, no having it drag on for months. 

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like everyone in here but me is gonna get accepted lol

I think a lot of us are feeling that way too (at least i am). What kills me the most when thinking about not getting accepted this year is breaking that news to family and friends.... oh wellz no use thinking about it too hard now i guess

I think a lot of us are feeling that way too (at least i am). What kills me the most when thinking about not getting accepted this year is breaking that news to family and friends.... oh wellz no use thinking about it too hard now i guess

omg right!?! Going home for Easter on Saturday and all of my extended family are going to ask about it/what day I find out. Come May 9th if I don't have good news....... Also with my friends being super supportive ("You'll get in, you're too hard on yourself!") and then being like, welp... 

Schulich and Queen’s are both pretty lit tbh, so I’m hoping I don’t have to choose (I doubt I'll even get multiple acceptances) - but if I did:

- I prefer Schulich’s curriculum. If you look at the sample schedule at the Queen’s interview website, the lectures are on GI/Endo but the anatomy lab is on Knee/Leg, that seems a bit disjointed to me but then again I know nothing lol. At Schulich, the curriculum seems more unified.

- In terms of people, both are awesome. I had so much fun both weekends, though Schulich went a step further and paired us with a mentor so I did feel closer/more welcomed.

- Both campuses are super pretty, though the new medical building and the lake give Queen’s the upper hand.

- City doesn’t matter much to me, I’ll have to move to a new city either way.

- Money is a huge factor, Schulich Scholarship would be auto-win for Schulich because I’m poor af, though I’m not sure when we find out about that. Also not sure how generous the Queen’s bursaries are.

Uhh let’s see..

- Schulich has a dedicated research program for students but Queen’s has some dope cancer research going on so idk

- None of my friends are going to either school so I’ll have to make new friendships either way

So yeah, I’m not sure what other factors to consider, but if there are none then Schulich probably wins. 

What about you?

I definitely felt that Western had the friendliest vibe, and I like the system based curriculum that the first years told me about. Obviously I'd be ecstatic with any acceptance, but I am leaning towards Western. I might be biased because I felt Western was my best interview even though I am having serious doubts now. The money is also a huge factor for me as well.

I hope all of us get in!!!! You guys are all great, and I will look for you all (doesn't sound creepy at all).

similarly there is some debate about whether we should just use a CARMS like system for medical school admissions as well. Basically that would mean that you would know exactly what is going to happen no matter what on the acceptance day - no waitlists, no having it drag on for months.

That sounds a little scary to have no waitlists. Does that mean people that would've been on the high waitlist would be rejected?

Could you develop on that? Seems like you would kinda need to have a WL system for admissions at UGME level?

That sounds a little scary to have no waitlists. Does that mean people that would've been on the high waitlist would be rejected?

Either way the same number of seats would be filled, applicants would just give up some choice over where they end up i.e. someone who would have had multiple acceptances only gets one, and the other offers are made to other people.

I feel you...

I graduated 2 years ago and out extended family has already hit my family with "oh is he not in school yet? (This was after the 2015 cycle) Oh I thought he'd be in by now. Why isn't he in? I thought he wanted to go to medical school..."

Pretty shitty. Also I don't think I can afford the American school I deferred at (because of finances...). So... Double whammy lol

Must stay hopeful!

I feel you...

I graduated 2 years ago and out extended family has already hit my family with "oh is he not in school yet? (This was after the 2015 cycle) Oh I thought he'd be in by now. Why isn't he in? I thought he wanted to go to medical school..."

Pretty shitty. Also I don't think I can afford the American school I deferred at (because of finances...). So... Double whammy lol

Must stay hopeful!

We should be proud of ourselves for all we've accomplished so far

no it means (just like carms) you rank your school preferences in your application. That why if someone gets accepted to two schools they just automatically are accepted to their favourite one. That automatically opens a free spot and pulls someone to getting an acceptance off of the waitlist. It basically is the same thing that happens how except with the magic of software it all happens instantly - instead of weeks and weeks. The only real difference is you have to figure out what school you want more earlier on. You know everything on a a single day.

no it means (just like carms) you rank your school preferences in your application. That why if someone gets accepted to two schools they just automatically are accepted to their favourite one. That automatically opens a free spot and pulls someone to getting an acceptance off of the waitlist. It basically is the same thing that happens how except with the magic of software it all happens instantly - instead of weeks and weeks. The only real difference is you have to figure out what school you want more earlier on. You know everything on a a single day.

This would be so much better than the current system. Applying to med school in Ontario is pretty much a year long process (I started talking to my references around this time last year) when it doesn't have to be. 

This would be so much better than the current system. Applying to med school in Ontario is pretty much a year long process (I started talking to my references around this time last year) when it doesn't have to be. 

If you did everything then the final results would be available early May. The real reason I think we cannot go much earlier is simply TO is still interviewing people in mid April and there is post processing to do.

Still having it end on that single day alone would be better for everyone - applicants, schools etc

If you did everything then the final results would be available early May. The real reason I think we cannot go much earlier is simply TO is still interviewing people in mid April and there is post processing to do.

Still having it end on that single day alone would be better for everyone - applicants, schools etc

Yeah so it's pretty much one school delaying everyone else lol

Tbh, idk why I'm being so whiny  :mellow: ARGHHHHH, why can't it be May 9 already!?

Tbh, idk why I'm being so whiny  :mellow: ARGHHHHH, why can't it be May 9 already!?

well no matter what you do there is going to be one school holding it up :) Someone has to be last - I mean TO really, really has their work cut out for them. There process is so very much more time consuming than anyone else's. 

I know! I've been saying this since literally an hour after my interview, and I've never even felt positive about my Western interview, I'm just so ready to know. I'm more hopeful about may 17th/ june 1st, but hoping for OOP U of M seems like a bad thing to pin my hopes on

I know! I've been saying this since literally an hour after my interview, and I've never even felt positive about my Western interview, I'm just so ready to know. I'm more hopeful about may 17th/ june 1st, but hoping for OOP U of M seems like a bad thing to pin my hopes on

You never know :) But the waiting absolutely sucks

Virtual hugs to everyone! Seriously just reading everyone here validate the anxiety I've been feeling already makes me feel a little better :)

Same, honestly if you don't feel at least a little bit anxious about decision day then something is wrong lol.

Call me soft, idc, but I'm honestly really scared. Like fuck, when did this all happen? This is all just so crazy to me...

Archived