Premed 101 Forums

Scotia Momentum Visa

thestar10

1. While not really answering your original question, since I don't know about Scotia, but CIBC gave me their equivalent card (Dividend Visa Infinite) and will probably offer it to you if you switch. You can use that as leverage with your Scotia banker when you ask for the Momentum

2. I also use the Rogers MC as my primary card. No other card on the market today has 1.75% cashback with no annual fee (assuming you have a Rogers/Fido account). Not even Scotia Infinite Momentum. Also, if you shop at the discount retailers (e.g. Costco, No Frills), they only accept MC not Visa, so the 4% on groceries ends up being not so useful

1. While not really answering your original question, since I don't know about Scotia, but CIBC gave me their equivalent card (Dividend Visa Infinite) and will probably offer it to you if you switch. You can use that as leverage with your Scotia banker when you ask for the Momentum

2. I also use the Rogers MC as my primary card. No other card on the market today has 1.75% cashback with no annual fee (assuming you have a Rogers/Fido account). Not even Scotia Infinite Momentum. Also, if you shop at the discount retailers (e.g. Costco, No Frills), they only accept MC not Visa, so the 4% on groceries ends up being not so useful

Yup I already have the Rogers MC and it's my primary card now too. I have the Scotia Gold Amex/Visa pair but their benefits are very similar and their rewards aren't terribly great anymore.

Hey guys - sorry to hijack the thread, but how are the rewards for Scotiabank? 

For instance, I look at this: http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/common/tools/travel-calc/public/index-all-cards.en.html  and the reward dollars for the gold American express seem pretty good.  Do they artificially jack up the prices, so flights are more expensive on the Scotia reward sites? 

I know that you can switch those points at a one-to-one ratio with aeroplan miles. A lot of aeroplan flights have some petrol fees that make you still pay a lot after using your miles anyway, unless you look carefully for flights from carriers that do not have these charges.

For instance, I look at this: http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/common/tools/travel-calc/public/index-all-cards.en.html  and the reward dollars for the gold American express seem pretty good.  Do they artificially jack up the prices, so flights are more expensive on the Scotia reward sites? 

Excellent and at market prices. The Scotia Rewards website is run by Expedia and has the same prices

The rewards are great if you book through the Scotiabank Rewards website (5% cashback). Agree with Shady that the prices are at market rate. If you are looking to book last minute deals or one-day sales, then these tickets are usually not available on those websites unfortunately. 

In retrospect, I should have gone with the Scotiabank Momentum Visa since my spendings are predominantly on groceries (4%) and recurring bills (2%).

Anyone with a Scotia LOC have any luck getting a Scotia Momentum Visa comped instead of the Passport Gold/Gold Amex?

I still need a card with travel insurance but right no the rogers mastercard is my main card.

When I signed up for Scotiabank LOC, I was allowed to choose between the Passport Gold and the Momentum Visa Infinite. Went with the Passport Gold as it has extended travel insurance up to 30 days. 

I got them both, and I make sure that anyone I refer gets them too! Make sure you get it.

Yeah. My travel style tends to be last minute deals on flights with backpacking and hostels so scotia's rewards tend not to be as useful to me. The Amex and Visa have similar travel protections.

The momentum is more attractive to me because of the cash back instead of the rewards. With cash back, I'm paying my LOC down (ever so slightly) vs the rewards which essentially take years to accumulate into something worthwhile, especially now that I'm using the Rogers MasterCard much more frequently it's going to be several years before I have enough to get anything significant.

Realistically my ideal scotia combo is the Momentum Visa and the ScotiaGold Amex or visa (just need the extended travel insurance). My scotia banker told me they weren't doing this but it appears that's not actually the case.

Yeah. My travel style tends to be last minute deals on flights with backpacking and hostels so scotia's rewards tend not to be as useful to me. The Amex and Visa have similar travel protections.

The momentum is more attractive to me because of the cash back instead of the rewards. With cash back, I'm paying my LOC down (ever so slightly) vs the rewards which essentially take years to accumulate into something worthwhile, especially now that I'm using the Rogers MasterCard much more frequently it's going to be several years before I have enough to get anything significant.

Realistically my ideal scotia combo is the Momentum Visa and the ScotiaGold Amex or visa (just need the extended travel insurance). My scotia banker told me they weren't doing this but it appears that's not actually the case.

Yeah I was offered the Momentum Visa Infinite AND the Gold Amex (best combination IMO) when I signed up for Scotiabank, but I opted for the Gold Amex and Gold Passport instead as I figured I would be traveling for CaRMS. 

Let me know if you are successful in your switch to the Momentum Visa.

• 2 weeks later...

Were you able to switch to the Momentum?

• 2 years later...
On 4/6/2017 at 6:08 PM, PhD2MD said:

I got them both, and I make sure that anyone I refer gets them too! Make sure you get it.

Sorry to revive this.

Last year I decided to go with Scotia and pushed for the VISA Infinite Momentum, following some of the advice posted here. I was pleased when I was granted the first year at no fee with an unofficial understanding with the advisor that the fee would also be waived in subsequent years as long as he was still working there. It's now 1 year later and I'm told that 1 year free of charge is all he could do. Seems we didn't have an understanding after all.

Was wondering if those that got the Infinite Momentum were able to get if free of charge for more than 1 year.

• 1 month later...