Premed 101 Forums

Cpso Question

Hi everyone,

I was wondering about remediation and CPSO applications. If you have had to remediate during medical school (once), would they ever use this as grounds to deny an application? Remediation was regarding an unintentionally missed shift; absolutely nothing on record besides this.

Thanks!

I'm sure they won't care.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering about remediation and CPSO applications. If you have had to remediate during medical school (once), would they ever use this as grounds to deny an application? Remediation was regarding an unintentionally missed shift; absolutely nothing on record besides this.

Thanks!

There's a section on the CPSO application where you'd be required to mention that.  That said, it's not grounds to deny an application if you're honest and upfront about it.

• 11 months later...

Hey sorry to revive an old thread.

Someone I know has been put on remediation for professionalism for a 5-year specialty program, upon renewal of his&her resident's license, do residents on remediation usually get their application delayed in the past? My friend has been told that residents put on remediation for professionalism usually goes to the registration committee, who takes forever to meet. He & she already self-declared early to CPSO, and was told by the renewal CPSO person to submit further documentation with the PD's contact information+PGME contact. According to the registration committee deadline, if his & her case is brought forward, they only meet on August 2nd 2018 for applications received by May 2018.

Thanks for all your guys' help!

http://www.cpso.on.ca/Applicant-Information/Registration-Committee/Processing-Times-and-Meeting-Dates

38 minutes ago, psychiatry2017 said:

Someone I know has been put on remediation for professionalism for a 5-year specialty program, upon renewal of his&her resident's license, do residents on remediation usually get their application delayed in the past? My friend has been told that residents put on remediation for professionalism usually goes to the registration committee, who takes forever to meet. He & she already self-declared early to CPSO, and was told by the renewal CPSO person to submit further documentation with the PD's contact information+PGME contact. According to the registration committee deadline, if his & her case is brought forward, they only meet on August 2nd 2018 for applications received by May 2018.

http://www.cpso.on.ca/Applicant-Information/Registration-Committee/Processing-Times-and-Meeting-Dates

I know of two similar sounding cases - and yeah there was some delays, mostly because again yeah the don't meet all that often and they are slow getting anything down (risk vs reward for them - benefit of getting someone approved is one less paperwork task which can be put off until another day, risk of letting the wrong person in could be something rather bad. Remember the college is not your friend ha). 

3 hours ago, psychiatry2017 said:

For what it's worth, my initial application for my postgraduate license needed to go to the registration committee.  I submitted my application basically as soon as it opened, and even though the deadline for the May meeting was in February (and I submitted my materials in March because obviously I was waiting for match day), and I was expecting my residency start to be delayed, my application ended up going to the May meeting.

It was not remediation related, so unsure about that specifically, though.

7 minutes ago, ellorie said:

For what it's worth, my initial application for my postgraduate license needed to go to the registration committee.  I submitted my application basically as soon as it opened, and even though the deadline for the May meeting was in February (and I submitted my materials in March because obviously I was waiting for match day), and I was expecting my residency start to be delayed, my application ended up going to the May meeting.

It was not remediation related, so unsure about that specifically, though.

Thanks ellorie, will definitely keeps you guys updated!

CPSO is not the physician's best friend sadly, it will throw us under a bus at anytime. The rest of Canada's physicians' regulation body seems to be more permissive

In your case, I guess that they act sooner for 1st year applicants. I hope the same will happen to my friend, as he & she already missed the May meeting deadline, had submitted the documentation in March ASAP, only get reviewed by CPSO renewal committee recently, and told that his & her case might be brought forward to registration committee..it really takes a huge toll on a resident to go through remediation, wonder if we need to do research to see if remediation is really worth it for residents who had conflicts with staff preceptors and were later blamed on <<professionalism>> and <<inability to receive feedback>>. 

• 2 weeks later...

It does not necessarily go to registration committee. But if the professionalism concerns were in any way related to patient care, it likely will. The CMPA is supposed to represent you for any CPSO-related issues, including license renewal. Contact them asap (for advice on what to put on your renewal application), and do not take no for an answer. You pay CMPA dues -- they are obligated to represent you for all license-related matters. Period.

On 4/5/2018 at 5:33 PM, ana_safavi said:

It does not necessarily go to registration committee. But if the professionalism concerns were in any way related to patient care, it likely will. The CMPA is supposed to represent you for any CPSO-related issues, including license renewal. Contact them asap (for advice on what to put on your renewal application), and do not take no for an answer. You pay CMPA dues -- they are obligated to represent you for all license-related matters. Period.

Thanks Ana, my friend's file is already referred to the registration committee, but he & she is appealing the remediation decision. Unfortunately, he & she already sent forward the remediation plan & renewal of PG license application, as advised by PGME to complete the application asap,  that the renewal of PG license should not be delayed and never brought forward into the registration committee.

I would advise my friend to contact CMPA, as he & she was never given due process for the remediation decision. 

Archived