Max scores:
cGPA (/4): 4.0

ECs (/17): 14.0

MCAT (/132): 131.25

Avg scores:

cGPA (/4): 3.80

ECs (/17): 7

MCAT (/132): 128.10

If you do the math straight-up for their cumulative weighting, the interview invitation score average should be 50.62 out of 70...
(3.8/4.0*27)+(128.10/132*13)+(7/17*30)= 50.62 (edited for math error, whoops!)

Comparing to last year (2016 interview invite averages and max values) with a weighted score of 49.284 out of 70

cGPA: 3.86 (max=4.00)

P. Activities (/17): 6  (max=12)

MCAT: 128.35, (max=131.75) 

Granted I doubt they do their calculations this way, since it results in the average applicant score being derived largely from GPA.

Also for those who never had the chance to go in and review a breakdown of your score (they no longer allow this apparently), ECs are scored out of 17 because scholarships and awards are worth a total of 1 point, and the rest of the sections are out of a total of 4 each. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any information out there about what pre-mmi score the entire pool of applicants and the selected pool of applicants received?

EDIT: The only info I found:

Mean Cumulative GPA  Mean MCAT (2/3 Yr Positions)   3.95    129.98

(4 Yr Positions)      3.88     128.44

Is there any information out there about what pre-mmi score the entire pool of applicants and the selected pool of applicants received?

EDIT: The only info I found:

Mean Cumulative GPA  Mean MCAT (2/3 Yr Positions)   3.95    129.98

(4 Yr Positions)      3.88     128.44

These are scores sent out by MD admissions at U of A to those who weren't selected for an interview. They will send out similar stats to these for those who are rejected post-interview (stats for those rejected post-interview and those initially offered admission). 

So to answer your question, the stats I posted are for the entire pool of 4th year IP interviewees. 

That's correct and is part of the whole going into the school with a clean slate so as to avoid competition between classmates. I just wanted to prepare myself so that, if I got a letter before an email, I wouldn't get too excited. That'd be too much of a heartbreak :P

For reference:

The average GPA in 2014 for interviewees was 3.89*.

The average GPA in 2015 for interviewees was 3.87*.

The average GPA in 2016 for interviewees was 3.86*.

The average GPA in 2017 ( this year) for interviewees was 3.80* ( A significant drop).

*All the above mentioned data are collected from people on PM101 who posted the stats online.

U Of A significantly dropped their average GPA over the years. I am wondering if they are using a different formula or they are changing their selection criteria.. but that is so exciting for applicants with GPA on lower side :)

For reference:

The average GPA in 2014 for interviewees was 3.89*.

The average GPA in 2015 for interviewees was 3.87*.

The average GPA in 2016 for interviewees was 3.86*.

The average GPA in 2017 ( this year) for interviewees was 3.80* ( A significant drop).

*All the above mentioned data are collected from people on PM101 who posted the stats online.

U Of A significantly dropped their average GPA over the years. I am wondering if they are using a different formula or they are changing their selection criteria.. but that is so exciting for applicants with GPA on lower side :)

UofA seems to be turning into UofC

This is good to see, in my opinion. I'll try to find the research and post it here about GPA not being the best predictor of success in med. It seems that, after a certain grade point, there is little difference in how well people do. Other skills are being assessed (Casper and MMIs being used) because these tend to be good predictors of other non-cognitive skills that are needed to be good service providers in medicine.

Maybe U of C and U of A are switching roles LOL

Trust me, though. I had to deal with some bureaucracies with the UofA and they still very much had the elitist, inflexible aura to them. With establishment comes pomp, I suppose.

EDIT: Maybe this is more stinging than I wished it to be. I'll just clarify that these were administrative dealings outside of MD admissions. MD admissions was actually quite stellar in helping me try to address the problem with the registrar.

Trust me, though. I had to deal with some bureaucracies with the UofA and they still very much had the elitist, inflexible aura to them. With establishment comes pomp, I suppose.

If you don't mind, can you tell me what you mean by bureaucracies with U of A?  How does applying to U of A differ from U of C? 

What do you mean by the above sentence?

I'm assuming he meant if someone meets the score calculated by that formula, and yet did not get invited to interviews, what could be wrong. The formula is almost definitely not how they calculate the pre-interview scores since it means 3.80 vs 4.0 is only 1.35 (4.0/4.0*27-3.8/4.0*27) points away, and a 125 vs 132 MCAT is only 0.7 (132/132*13-125/132*13)  points away. So they definitely adjust GPA/MCAT to stratify the top scores more. 

Archived