Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invite Stats (4Yr Ip)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm assuming he meant if someone meets the score calculated by that formula, and yet did not get invited to interviews, what could be wrong. The formula is almost definitely not how they calculate the pre-interview scores since it means 3.80 vs 4.0 is only 1.35 (4.0/4.0*27-3.8/4.0*27) points away, and a 125 vs 132 MCAT is only 0.7 (132/132*13-125/132*13)  points away. So they definitely adjust GPA/MCAT to stratify the top scores more. 

Yeah definitely, that is why I said it isn't likely that they stratify scores the way I had done it in my original post. What is scary about stratifying scores to maximize differences would be that the minimum GPA required could potentially result in a 0/27 whereas a 4.0 would result in full marks. Similarly, a 124 (I think that is the IP minimum) would result in 0... 

The implications of this assumption would mean that people with a low GPA would face almost insurmountable hurdles to being accepted, which I don't necessarily think is reflected by some of the stats previously posted here. It would be helpful to know exactly how they stratify their scores in each section... 

Just following this thread:

So are we using the new 2017 pre-admissions stats, that is given to everyone who is rejected pre-interview, and to everyone who is going to be rejected post interview? Cause EndPoverty also posted the 2016 admissions stats, which are going to be quite a bit different from the pre-interview 2017 stats. I believe the the 2016 admissions stats uses the new 2015 MCAT for the first time?

Then using those new stats, we're applying the old general marking/weighting scheme to calculate the average?

Cause with all the changes to the U of A's requirements and those they interviewed(GPA dropped quite a bit for example) and even CASPer, I would think its safe to assume that we most of what was used in the past is thrown out for a new hidden scoring system that we don't yet know about.

Also, someone mentioned that we could go in and talk about our scores in the past, but are no longer offering this anymore? Makes sense in light of above.

Like someone else mentioned, the U of A and U of C seem to be swapping roles, or at least becoming more like each other.

I doubt they stratified the score.  I am a 5th year IP and my stats was 4.0, 128.25 and 7. The key thing is to focus on improving in the area that can benefit us the most. In my case, I have to work on my EC, which can be frustrating since it is subjective on the evaluators. 

You did not get interviewed with these stats ( ?). Your stats are so high.  You are just one point below average in EC. but your GPA is so high ( so it should have compensated for your slightly below avg EC).

How did you not get an interview? 

You did not get interviewed with these stats ( ?). Your stats are so high.  You are just one point below average in EC. but your GPA is so high ( so it should have compensated for your slightly below avg EC).

How did you not get an interview? 

Unfortunately, I did not receive an interview. I actually scored average for EC since I am in the 4th IP pool (Interviewee Average = 7) while 4th OOP pool (Average = 8). I simply did not rank high enough for an interview. I am happy that they revamped the system because GPA is a terrible way to quantify someone's intelligence but I am disappointed that my GPA did not make up for my average EC.

If you check out the UA invite/reject page, there are others who have similar stats as me (GPA and MCAT) and are rejected. 

Unfortunately, I did not receive an interview. I actually scored average for EC since I am in the 4th IP pool (Interviewee Average = 7) while 4th OOP pool (Average = 8). I simply did not rank high enough for an interview. I am happy that they revamped the system because GPA is a terrible way to quantify someone's intelligence but I am disappointed that my GPA did not make up for my average EC.

You scored average or above average for all three components and still did not get an interview.  That's so odd.  I wonder how they currently select applicants for interviews. 

You scored average or above average for all three components and still did not get an interview.  That's so odd.  I wonder how they currently select applicants for interviews. 

I have no clue but one thing is certain. There is a bias towards EC and each point difference is more significant than a comparable difference in GPA and MCAT.

I have no clue but one thing is certain. There is a bias towards EC and each point difference is more significant than a comparable difference in GPA and MCAT.

Yes, it seems like it. I still can't believe that you did not get an interview despite scoring above average/ average in your GPA/ MCAT /ECs.  Does U of A still allow you to go and speak with someone in regards to your application and why you were rejected pre-intervie w? 

U of A probably interviewed people with killer ECs this year. 

Yes, it seems like it. I still can't believe that you did not get an interview despite scoring above average/ average in your GPA/ MCAT /ECs.  Does U of A still allow you to go and speak with someone in regards to your application and why you were rejected pre-intervie w? 

I believe they do, I may visit them if I am in town. I am grateful for the feedback since it does provide me with the direction on what I have to improve in. 

Yeah, it is really kind of them that they give us the stats.  You were probably very close because you scored really high on most sections, and average in the EC section.

It might have been the case that the EC is weighted so high ( probably over 50%-60% of the total weighting pre-interview) , thats why you were unsuccessful pre-interview. 

I think the formula whereby the GPA was 30% and EC another 30% is VERY OUTDATED. 

It seems that U of A is moving away from the traditional way of assessing applicants. I think the goal of medical schools is not to select for applicants who would do well academically in the first two years of basic science, but to produce excellent clinicians who are able to advocate for patients, and have the potential to work well with others. 

I feel that through weighing ECs and MMIs higher, U of A will be able to find applicants with truly compelling personal attributes.

What if they moved towards a system in which if you did not meet a certain minimum amount of ECs you would not be able to qualify, despite having over-the-top GPA/MCAT? Anecdotally speaking, the UofA was always the grades school and the UofC the diversity school. I wonder if that won't cut it anymore, and they're actually moving to standardize amount of hours/quality of volunteering as a standalone criterium that has to be met. As others and myself have reiterated ad nauseam, it really does seem like these schools are actually becoming more like each other through a balance of shifts in grade and EC importance.

I believe they do, I may visit them if I am in town. I am grateful for the feedback since it does provide me with the direction on what I have to improve in. 

As stated in the letters unsuccessful applicants received, U of A does not offer in-person feedback sessions anymore and will not provide more information than what is on your letter (FAQ #1 on the back of the letter). Furthermore, they will not provide any further details about how scores are calculated besides the 27% GPA, 13% MCAT, 30% ECs info given on the website (FAQ #2)

U of A interviewed people with ECs that have been comparable to those in the past (i.e. EC score average of 7/17 vs. 6 last year). That being said, the slight reduction in average GPA may have been compensated for by the slight uptick in EC scores... 

As stated in the letters unsuccessful applicants received, U of A does not offer in-person feedback sessions anymore and will not provide more information than what is on your letter (FAQ #1 on the back of the letter). Furthermore, they will not provide any further details about how scores are calculated besides the 27% GPA, 13% MCAT, 30% ECs info given on the website (FAQ #2)

U of A interviewed people with ECs that have been comparable to those in the past (i.e. EC score average of 7/17 vs. 6 last year). That being said, the slight reduction in average GPA may have been compensated for by the slight uptick in EC scores... 

Thank you for saving me the trip. The inability to review is a downer...

I know, its a shame. I found it incredibly helpful last year to get feedback for each MMI station (score only, no comments), as well as get my scores in each section in the ECs. Knowing which section needs improvement or which entries may not score well in the eyes of the admissions committee was a definite asset. 

I know, its a shame. I found it incredibly helpful last year to get feedback for each MMI station (score only, no comments), as well as get my scores in each section in the ECs. Knowing which section needs improvement or which entries may not score well in the eyes of the admissions committee was a definite asset. 

I didn't know they were telling the scores for each section in the EC's

If you check out the UA invite/reject page, there are others who have similar stats as me (GPA and MCAT) and are rejected. 

Did the rejection letter tell you that you have a 7 on ECs?

Cause I'm in 2nd year and I also had a 4.0 GPA and 128.25(513) MCAT when I applied, but I got an interview. I guess my EC's were good enough to get me in.

I wonder what they consider to be "average" ECs.

Did the rejection letter tell you that you have a 7 on ECs?

Cause I'm in 2nd year and I also had a 4.0 GPA and 128.25(513) MCAT when I applied, but I got an interview. I guess my EC's were good enough to get me in.

I wonder what they consider to be "average" ECs.

I don't think the rejection letter specifies what you "need" to get on the EC section, but you can sure infer what you need to improve or "get". For example, I received the rejection letter with a 6 in personal activities despite above average GPA+MCAT+being an employed OOP non-trad, and thus my grades weren't able to compensate. Therefore, it seems like I would need a slightly higher EC score like a 7. Moreover, it seems like a point or two off the "mean" resembles a bell curve, in that the further away you are, the more it hurts you.

Other thoughts...Alberta's move to a more EC focused school, as noted by other users, parallels that of UofC. The interviewee pool will definitely shift, and I'm sure this can only be a good thing in increasing our healthcare's diversity and social attributes. With the introduction of casper, it will be really interesting to see if UofA continues on this path in the future and how it will impact the applicant pool/application grading scheme.

However, I only hope that there is sufficient recognition that GPA+MCAT is more than just a number or measure of academic ability. It really is an indicator of hard work, dedication, and perseverance...and yes, some programs are different than others, but the non-academic attributes derived from academic measures, in my opinion, were just as important for me in growing through university and learning to push through hard times despite external circumstances.

Archived