Premed 101 Forums

Post Interview Support Thread

Hi everyone...been feeling crummy lately about how my interview at ubc went and with a little bit over one month away until we hear back it's starting to sink in...

Any med students/premeds know people who got in with average or below average interviews??? I know they don't tell you your score if you get in, but did they feel crummy afterwards like me????

whether you stress about your performance or not, you're going to get the same result in May. Best to move on, and focus on whatever is going on now in your life.

When May comes, and if you are notified of being unsuccessful, then reflect on what you can improve on for the next cycle.

whether you stress about your performance or not, you're going to get the same result in May. Best to move on, and focus on whatever is going on now in your life.

When May comes, and if you are notified of being unsuccessful, then reflect on what you can improve on for the next cycle.

Definitely this. But oh man does it take a long time between interviewing and finding out! -.-

Try to come up with a plan for the year in the case you aren't successful - not pleasant I know but it's better to have it ready to go than to scramble come summer (especially if your plan involves registering for and taking more courses). Or maybe look for jobs that will give you better experience? research projects? More courses? Volunteer?

Or travel and enjoy the time you have.

We all knew it was a long road coming into this... now it's time to embrace it and realize that you aren't alone :)

I think it's natural to say after the interview that maybe you could of said this or that, but realize that we've already had almost 2 months to mull over our responses to the questions compared to having only 2 mins in a high-stress environment where you most likely had to go with whatever came to the top of your head. 

Ya where are people getting May 10 from? I believe that is the Ontario med school release date but I haven't heard anything about that day for UBC... Has anyone had that confirmed?

I also just want to reiterate what everyone else has says that you can never really tell, and that they look at other factors besides interview so there is no point in beating yourself up if you felt certain stations didn't go well because it doesn't really mean anything. 

What this guy said. I know it feels terrible to be anxious, but there's nothing you can really do at this moment. Many people, including me, second guess/are hard on themselves so you're definitely not alone there. I know the advice seems cliche and it may not completely assuage your concerns, but just tough it out until May. Just keep doing you :)

And to answer OP's questions. I've heard/read of people who have gotten in with below average interviews, but I doubt the validity/question the context. Purely anecdotal by the way. It's probably not what you wanted to hear, but you most likely wont get in with a below average mark. 

Just read the accepted/rejected thread and look at how many people felt like they bombed their interviews but got in. I'm in your shoes as well, I don't think I bombed the interview but I feel like the 2-3 stations that weren't great (and maybe 1 bomb) will have killed my chances because my gpa (85%) and MCAT (509) are not very competitive either.

I actually got rejected from the JET programme which I was not expecting (and it was supposed to be my backup) and took it pretty hard so I've been preparing myself mentally for this rejection. I've convinced myself that I have been rejected already. Like..."there's no way I got in" and "It would just be too good to be true". I'm actually contemplating to start studying for the MCAT now and register for the test after the rejection result to improve my score even if it helps only a tiny bit.

At the end of the day, we should be grateful that we are in a position to be waiting to hear back from a medical school like UBC.

Hope it actually comes out on that day though.

It's a Friday and they obviously don't work on the weekends.

I have a feeling they'll just postpone it to the Monday after that  <_<

Oh it will be on May 12th. Here's how it goes:- 9:58 rejections, 10:28 wait list, if you survive half an hour after that then you're in.

Anyone else going through cycles of depression, confusion, and optimism? 

I go through the following

1) Confident I have good chances

2) Confident that I will not get in. 0 chance

3) Questioning my suitability for medicine

4) Questioning myself as a person

5) Regretting taking this path or "I should have gone into engineering"

6) Realizing life goes on and I'll just apply again. And again. And again. And again. 

I was seriously considering going to Poland for medical school and becoming a IMG so I am still grateful to be in this position. 

Archived