Premed 101 Forums

Ip Waitlist Discussion 2017

Medapp2017

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It says the same thing for me. I assume TBD means ''to be divulged''. I don't think it means anything about your ranking. I would add that the candidates must confirm that they wish to remain on the waitlist to be on said waitlist. Hence, I don't think they have our rankings as of yet.

The IP-university and Med-P waitlists are not the same. See: https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/after-youve-applied/waitlist-post-interview

I've heard the waitlist consists approximately of 40-45 candidates. At least, it was the case last year and the year before.

It's hard to say if the chances of getting in are high for the IP waitlisted. It's definitely harder for the IP-waitlisted to get in that the OOP-waitlisted (the OOP candidates tend to have better applications in general, and hence more chance to get an offer from another highly competitive medical school elsewhere). If you like numbers, though, I did note that the waitlist moved to the 15th candidate last year for the IP waitlist.

My friend was ranked 23rd on the waitlist two years ago and was admitted. Last year I think fewer got off the waitlist, but more than 15. It's impossible to predict year to year - depends how many offers of admission are declined. 

I would add that the candidates must confirm that they wish to remain on the waitlist to be on said waitlist. Hence, I don't think they have our rankings as of yet.

Exactly - waitlist rank is relative to the group of students who agree to be waitlisted. Admissions needs to account for the number of students who have declined offers, and then for those within the waitlist category who decline to be waitlisted. That's why they can't give you a rank right away. 

I believe they may be interviewing more IP Uni in a couple of days if we go off what happened two years ago: WL ranks not divulged initially, given when all others interviewed and with a significant number of WL for interview getting called up. Contrast that to last year, when ranks were given right away and no one reported getting called up with the CEGEP interviewees.

I cannot say that for certain but I am fairly confident of this based on:

(a) what happened two years ago vs last year

(B) OOPs having gotten (from what i was told) their WL rank already 

I believe they may be interviewing more IP Uni in a couple of days if we go off what happened two years ago: WL ranks not divulged initially, given when all others interviewed and with a significant number of WL for interview getting called up. Contrast that to last year, when ranks were given right away and no one reported getting called up with the CEGEP interviewees.

I cannot say that for certain but I am fairly confident of this based on:

(a) what happened two years ago vs last year

( B) OOPs having gotten (from what i was told) their WL rank already 

Wait why would they call people up from the WL for interview?

Wait why would they call people up from the WL for interview?

Some candidates are waitlisted for an interview when interview offers are released. They can then be called in to interview on the same date as the CEGEP applicants, which happens to be after other candidates have received their admissions/refusals. 

I agree with SunAndMoon. I'm really distracted today so I decide to do some math. 

There are 3 days of interviews next week. Assuming they run it the same way they did in March, there are 2 sessions per day (morning and afternoon), 4 color groupings in each session. Each grouping has 14 people in it (10 stations + 4 rest stations). This gives us 3x2x4x14=336 total interviewees next week. 

During next week, they are interviewing Med-P, Dent-P, non-traditional, and the remaining IP University candidates. Based on the applications stats they posted, they are interviewing 264 Med-P and 17 NTP. They interviewed 54 Dent-P last year and that number probably won't fluctuate too much. Now, we have an unknown number of IP university level candidates interviewing, say Y. There are also an unknown number of candidates interviewing for both Med-P and Dent-P, say X. So based on these numbers:

(264+54-X)+17+Y=336. 

As a result Y-X=1

So the number of IP-university level candidates interviewing next week should be approximately the same as the number of people interviewing for both Med-P and dent-P. If someone knows that number, it could potentially give us an idea how much things can change.

I admit this all isn't that useful. I'm just doing it for the fun of it :P . 

Hey everyone,

I'm sure a lot of you are trying to make rough estimates as to their chances of getting in from the waitlist. And I'm pretty sure some of you are trying to find numbers as to how many candidates get invited from the waitlist in the last couple of years.

So here's some numbers I got from previous threads, if you're interested (and I'm sure you are):

2015/2016: 15th (checked it myself last year and took note of it)
2014/2015: 23th (source, which seems credible: http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/89726-waitlist-movement-ip/?hl=waitlist)

2013/14 - 26
2012/13 - 9
2011/12 - 17
2010/11 - 17
2009/10 - 15 (source for those last five. I have my doubts about them, so any confirmation from older candidates would be welcome: http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/84597-mcgill-liste-dattente-waiting-list/page-4?hl=waitlist)

Of course, they just tend to indicate a trend. It's impossible to predict what's in store for this year and yadi yada. 

I agree with the above. I think it would also either be 14 or 28. I'm just not 100% certain because I personally don't know of anyone who has been in that situation this year but nothing else makes sense.

BTW, also note that if there are 28 of them (round up to 30), they have to have the same chance as us of getting in (roughly 1 in 3) which is only fair. That would indicate that maybe 10 spots are still unfilled and have not been given to anyone.

You'd then have 91 spots - 10 = 81 spots. Subtract to that the number of spots given to people who deferred last year (12 according to AFMC but not all are IP I suppose).

What should then happen in early May:

some people who are currently WL'ed will be automatically accepted

some people whose current rank now is x will then be x-y if any of the second batch of interviewees perform better

I agree with SunAndMoon. I'm really distracted today so I decide to do some math. 

There are 3 days of interviews next week. Assuming they run it the same way they did in March, there are 2 sessions per day (morning and afternoon), 4 color groupings in each session. Each grouping has 14 people in it (10 stations + 4 rest stations). This gives us 3x2x4x14=336 total interviewees next week. 

During next week, they are interviewing Med-P, Dent-P, non-traditional, and the remaining IP University candidates. Based on the applications stats they posted, they are interviewing 264 Med-P and 17 NTP. They interviewed 54 Dent-P last year and that number probably won't fluctuate too much. Now, we have an unknown number of IP university level candidates interviewing, say Y. There are also an unknown number of candidates interviewing for both Med-P and Dent-P, say X. So based on these numbers:

(264+54-X)+17+Y=336. 

As a result Y-X=1

So the number of IP-university level candidates interviewing next week should be approximately the same as the number of people interviewing for both Med-P and dent-P. If someone knows that number, it could potentially give us an idea how much things can change.

I admit this all isn't that useful. I'm just doing it for the fun of it :P . 

I like your fun math, but I'm going to throw in another variable - there were only three rest stations in my section (13 people), and another person told me that some had two. So if the 336 doesn't hold, then it's possible that Y-X =! 1 and Y may = 0.

Hopefully not, because I'd like to be optimistic for those waitlisted for interviews, but while we're doing speculative maths anyway... ;)

Hey everyone,

I'm sure a lot of you are trying to make rough estimates as to their chances of getting in from the waitlist. And I'm pretty sure some of you are trying to find numbers as to how many candidates get invited from the waitlist in the last couple of years.

So here's some numbers I got from previous threads, if you're interested (and I'm sure you are):

2015/2016: 15th (checked it myself last year and took note of it)

2014/2015: 23th (source, which seems credible: http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/89726-waitlist-movement-ip/?hl=waitlist)

2013/14 - 26
2012/13 - 9
2011/12 - 17
2010/11 - 17
2009/10 - 15 (source for those last five. I have my doubts about them, so any confirmation from older candidates would be welcome: http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/84597-mcgill-liste-dattente-waiting-list/page-4?hl=waitlist)

Of course, they just tend to indicate a trend. It's impossible to predict what's in store for this year and yadi yada. 

Thanks for the data! 

I guess from this, if you're within the top 15 in the waitlist, you can expect good news lol

I don't understand... What is the rational to interview more people from the interview waitlist for IP-University level, when there are IP-University people who interviewed and placed on offer waitlist?

Yes this is what I was asking as well. Is it that not enough people met a certain standard initially?

Yes this is what I was asking as well. Is it that not enough people met a certain standard initially?

I doubt it. If that were the case I am sure they would rather reject you than risk having you in if you are below certain standards, got redflagged, etc.

I'm thinking it might just be a logistics issue. I'd assume that for a given year, the larger the overlap between MD/Dent interviewees (since they share the space), the lesser the need to invite more people on a second round. The counter argument, though, is that two years ago the second round interviewees only got the invite after the first round got their answer (or very close to it) if I remember correctly.

I'm not quiet sure how this works. For IP's.They said that they are interviewing 272 applicant. Does this number include people from the waitlist ? If not, how many people are put on the waitlist. I know that this might cause me some trouble, but I was able to get my ranking as an IP which is 290th and I was refused. Is it possible that they only took 17 people on the waitlist? I just don't get it...

hey, I was put on the waiting list for this year.  Did you get a ranking already?  Because mine still says "ranking TBD in early may"... Thanks

Am I the only one going absolutely nuts over the absence of ranking for IP waitlist. I am checking minerva so often that I am probably close to flooding the site.

I got waitlisted too and I am totally in your shoes with being so anxious over the waitlist. I think they won't disclose anything about the ranking until they finish the people who were waitlisted for interviews, so the only thing we can do is wait until early may :'( uncertainty is honestly such a crappy thing to deal with 

Archived