Premed 101 Forums

Better Chance At Hamilton Campus If You're On The Waitlist Instead Of Being In The Last ~60 Of Acceptances?

I know that an acceptance is an acceptance and I don't place too much stock in campus selection, but I noticed something kind of strange: based on the way Mac ranks applicants, is it not true that, if you wanted the Hamilton campus, you would have a better chance getting in off the waitlist than being at the "bottom" of the ranked list for acceptances? I am assuming that Hamilton will be the first one to fill up based on choices even if some people rank Niagara and Waterloo first, meaning those at the bottom of the list will definitely get one of those two. Then, when some people inevitably decline their offer for some other school, chances are it will be from Hamilton (just on the number of seats alone), and so the Hamilton spot will go to the next person on the waitlist. Isn't this kind of strange?

My understanding of how it is done: 

The lower you are on their master list, the more times your names get entered into a hat (a metaphorical hat). If people pick a regional first, they will be offered a regional campus. Then they draw names from the metaphorical hat and give that person their second choice campus and possibly a couple really unlucky people will get their third.

You could still be ranked quite highly and not get hamilton.

I know that an acceptance is an acceptance and I don't place too much stock in campus selection, but I noticed something kind of strange: based on the way Mac ranks applicants, is it not true that, if you wanted the Hamilton campus, you would have a better chance getting in off the waitlist than being at the "bottom" of the ranked list for acceptances? I am assuming that Hamilton will be the first one to fill up based on choices even if some people rank Niagara and Waterloo first, meaning those at the bottom of the list will definitely get one of those two. Then, when some people inevitably decline their offer for some other school, chances are it will be from Hamilton (just on the number of seats alone), and so the Hamilton spot will go to the next person on the waitlist. Isn't this kind of strange?

From what i understand is they send out the initial acceptances of which every spot will be filled so 150 offers for hamilton, 28 for waterloo and niagara each. And then when people start declining they just give those offers to whoever is next on the waitlist. This is anecdotal of course but i would guess that more people would decline an offer from a regional campus than hamilton campus and so there may be more offers from a regional campus than hamilton campus given to people on the waitlist. So statistically u would be more likely to get offers from a regional campus than hamilton campus if you are on the waitlist, but there will be people who wanted hamilton who got an initial offer that was regional campus and people who were on the waitlist who will get a hamilton campus offer and wanted a regional campus. All in all, probably not a perfect system. 

Absolutely. Multiple people in our class got regional as a second choice with initial offers, with binding acceptance. Then people got off wait list to Hamilton, their first choice. It's a problem with the system, I think offers should be binding with the caveat that if you're at your second choice campus than you could get bumped if spots open, then transfer people to their first choice and then fill the now empty second choice spot off the wait list.

Absolutely. Multiple people in our class got regional as a second choice with initial offers, with binding acceptance. Then people got off wait list to Hamilton, their first choice. It's a problem with the system, I think offers should be binding with the caveat that if you're at your second choice campus than you could get bumped if spots open, then transfer people to their first choice and then fill the now empty second choice spot off the wait list.

hmmmm that is an interesting system. Western handles it by having unspecified campus in the offer but that has its own problem as it is confusing for some and if location really did matter to you (you had a sick parent in say London and had to be there no matter what) then it can be awkward. 

Still that Mac system seems worse to me. It is still an offer and it is still great to be going to medical school but somehow it seems a bit off. 

I think when you have a "Higher rank=first choice" system, it is somewhat telling to the other campuses, in that the school thinks you are a weaker cohort by their measurements. Mac certainly is slightly less fair but one could argue it creates a more "balanced" campus.

I think when you have a "Higher rank=first choice" system, it is somewhat telling to the other campuses, in that the school thinks you are a weaker cohort by their measurements. Mac certainly is slightly less fair but one could argue it creates a more "balanced" campus.

I could see that - although I never found any of the satellite campuses at any of the schools to really have a weaker class (maybe in theory on paper but the applicant is so strong that really doesn't apply much). Plus those branches often have a better educational experience (smaller class size, often more exposure to things etc). 

I agree with this. I think McMaster is sending the message that all three of our campuses are strong and no one campus is seen as a "lesser" campus. In fact, I'm pretty sure the way they do the algorithm for assigning campuses does not depend on where you are on the ranking list for acceptance. I believe UofT uses a similar approach.

Although none of the satellite campuses at other schools have a weaker class, I've heard rumours of people at the London campus calling Windsor the "Waitlist campus" (I hope the rumours are false).

I agree with this. I think McMaster is sending the message that all three of our campuses are strong and no one campus is seen as a "lesser" campus. In fact, I'm pretty sure the way they do the algorithm for assigning campuses does not depend on where you are on the ranking list for acceptance. I believe UofT uses a similar approach.

Although none of the satellite campuses at other schools have a weaker class, I've heard rumours of people at the London campus calling Windsor the "Waitlist campus" (I hope the rumours are false).

cannot say I have ever heard that at my time there - if I was to do it again I would strongly consider going to Windsor honestly - it has a lot going for it.  

Also anyone saying that - well they should take a look at the CARMS results for Windsor before being that smug. Before I left it was 100% matching since the program started (to competitive places too).  

Mac does do some weighing for campus selection but it's never guaranteed. I also think you're making a mistake by saying that everyone getting their first choice would put the satellites at a disadvantage. You assume the best candidates would not prefer to choose a satellite for family, learning style, lifestyle, community, or other reasons. There are students who get off the wait list to Hamilton who would have preferred a satellite, too.

That's how ubc does it.

Mac does do some weighing for campus selection but it's never guaranteed. I also think you're making a mistake by saying that everyone getting their first choice would put the satellites at a disadvantage. You assume the best candidates would not prefer to choose a satellite for family, learning style, lifestyle, community, or other reasons. There are students who get off the wait list to Hamilton who would have preferred a satellite, too.

The weighing is not based on where you are on the acceptance ranking list though, right? It's weighted based on what you ranked for your campus?

The weighing is not based on where you are on the acceptance ranking list though, right? It's weighted based on what you ranked for your campus?

It is weighted based on your rank order list

All first choice regionals get that campus then everyone who ranked hamilton first goes into a lottery for second choice.

for example

top 25%: Hamilton Campus

25-50%: Name in lottery x1

50-75%: Name in lottery x3

75-100%:Name in lottery x5

Archived