Premed 101 Forums

Thought I Did Well In The Mmi...

Med79

So this was my second time interviewing and I thought I did really well this time around but I got rejected again. I'm so frustrated because I can't even think of reasons why I didn't get in this time. I did so much practice and went to MMI prep sessions. Does anyone have any advice on how to further improve for next time? 

Lol I was just looking for advice from other people that have been in the same situation. It's just starting to feel that maybe I don't have the personality that they're looking for.

I know of several people who interviewed many, many times and ended up getting in. DMD_Hopeful is right that to help having some osrt of idea wrt how you answer is helpful.

Knowing your prereq GPA could be useful as well.

I know of several people who interviewed many, many times and ended up getting in. DMD_Hopeful is right that to help having some osrt of idea wrt how you answer is helpful.

Knowing your prereq GPA could be useful as well.

Your company needs both you and a co-worker (Sara, a colleague from another branch of the company) to attend a critical business meeting in San Diego. You have just arrived to drive Sara to the airport. Sara is in the room. 

Me: Hey Sara, ready to go to the airport?

Sara: (doesn't seem very excited) Mmm...well can we go in a few minutes

Sara: *sits nervously*

Me: Yeah sure. Is everything ok?

Sara: Well actually I'm a bit scared of flying ever since 9/11

Me: Oh well that's understandable. My grandmother avoided flying after it happened. What scares you in particular?

Sara: Well that it might happen again

Me: I can understand that. It can be scary to think about. Sometimes I think about it too. Do you really think that it might?

Sara: Well why not? it's only a matter of time until the system fails again.

Me: Anything is possible but the authorities have really increased security since then. And flying is still considered to be much safer than driving overall. 

Sara: Well it still could happen. 

Me: Do you not want to go on the trip? I know the company was really counting on us to go.

Sara: I know...but I don't know how to get over it

Me: Well the way my grandmother handled her fear was having someone distract her during the trip and practiced deep breathing if she ever got really nervous.

Me: I'd be happy to keep you busy while we're on the plane. I have plenty of travel games we could play.

Sara: That would be nice. I think that could work for me.

Me: I'm glad to hear it. And if you're ever feeling extra nervous on the trip just tell me and we can work through it together

Lol kind of hard playing both parts but you get the idea. Also my prerequisite GPA was 3.96.

Your company needs both you and a co-worker (Sara, a colleague from another branch of the company) to attend a critical business meeting in San Diego. You have just arrived to drive Sara to the airport. Sara is in the room.

I don't think you'll get great feedback based on just text; your tone and nonverbal communication are just too important. That being said, I think you're being too rational and realistic (I know how weird this sounds). Sarah might understand that her fear is irrational but it's still real for her. It'd be great to let her talk about it initially and accept that her perspective is very valid. Then you can try to assure her that it's not debilitating and that you can help her through it using the ways you mentioned.

I would say the same thing. It's important to let them vent and have them talking more.

Good :)

I don't think you'll get great feedback based on just text; your tone and nonverbal communication are just too important. That being said, I think you're being too rational and realistic (I know how weird this sounds). Sarah might understand that her fear is irrational but it's still real for her. It'd be great to let her talk about it initially and accept that her perspective is very valid. Then you can try to assure her that it's not debilitating and that you can help her through it using the ways you mentioned.

yes.. and i hate the word understand. we never understand because we aren't them. instead - validations like "that sounds really difficult" would be better. i would definitely listen more, ask more questions and also pose other options! it's a work trip - i wouldn't say "do you not want to go on the trip or do you really think it might"; might be better to be like, "mhm, that sounds really tough...have you tried flying since then/have you had to fly for work since? what are some things that you could do to make yourself feel better? do you have any friends or family you could call that might help?"

plus lots of listening and giving space for them to talk - this can be uncomfortable so definitely get used to it. then proposing other solutions - try baby steps like walking in to airport and getting coffee to begin (obviously not calling them baby steps), gauging how she feels. what you suggested about the games and what not is good too but chances are the actor will shoot down every proposal you have. and then of course you can ask if the boss knows (if its a past fear she has and has had to travel for work it may be a recurring issue and you could propose like accompanying to talk to the boss about requesting no long distance flying for work). anyway just some ideas but my approach would be empathy + solutions + validations in between. 

Archived