Premed 101 Forums

May 12Th Support Thread

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we have any idea as to what time the offers are sent out - EST time?

Almost there guys :o

From the forum, and in PDT,

2015: Regrets at ~9:50 AM, Waitlisted at ~10:30 AM, Acceptance at ~11:02 AM.

2016: Regrets at ~9:56 AM, Waitlisted (no data but likely between 10 and 11 AM), Acceptance at ~11:33 AM.

It appears that application status decisions are released in the order of Regrets -> Waitlisted -> Acceptance, so one would anticipate a similar release schedule this year. But who really knows, just gotta wait :)

2016: Regrets at ~9:56 AM, Waitlisted (no data but likely between 10 and 11 AM), Acceptance at ~11:33 AM.

It appears that application status decisions are released in the order of Regrets -> Waitlisted -> Acceptance, so one would anticipate a similar release schedule this year. But who really knows, just gotta wait :)

Thanks for the information :)

I'm not going to check my email that morning. Hell I won't even check my email till the 13th. That'll really show them.  :(

Do people with Low 80s GPA need to absolutely rock the interview to get in? Meaning they cant afford to do badly at even one station?

Secondly, is the post-interview selection process simply about a formula that weighs in different numbers or is their subjectivity? Their are people with low 80 averages and above average interviews who get rejected.

Do people with Low 80s GPA need to absolutely rock the interview to get in? Meaning they cant afford to do badly at even one station?

Secondly, is the post-interview selection process simply about a formula that weighs in different numbers or is their subjectivity? Their are people with low 80 averages and above average interviews who get rejected.

I think you're looking for an answer that none of us know! How the admissions team comes to a decision, is the million dollar question.

I think, and this is completely my personal opinion and could be completely wrong, that if someone does have a lower GPA, especially as low as 80%, they would need to have higher NAQ/references/interview/MCAT to make up for that.

Like they say, they do a holistic assessment of the applicant, and obviously if someone is lacking in one aspect, it's not the end of the world, but if your other stats aren't strong either, it might have a negative impact? I think none of us, theoretically, killed every single station at the MMI, so messing up a couple isn't going to be detrimental, but if an applicant has an average of 80% on top of that, it could matter more?

I honestly don't know, just take a breath, and know you've made it so far and regardless of what happens Friday you should be proud of yourself =]

Does anyone know if you can change site preference after getting an offer. For example if offered spot in VFMP, switch over to the satellite programs? Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere on the forum, thanks!

Does anyone know if you can change site preference after getting an offer. For example if offered spot in VFMP, switch over to the satellite programs? Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere on the forum, thanks!

From talking to med students and graduate doctor's, it's nigh impossible. If you manage to find someone from desired site to switch with, then there could be a process.

No. Very rare and extenuating circumstances but no guarantee. What you are offered is it. Unless its not the 1st choice and you can be pulled from waitlist for your preferred spot. Email will be very clear.

Guys - sorry to repeat this post incase it hasnt been read, but does anyone know if UBC generally sends out offers the day that they announce or has it been earlier than that in previous years?

I meant like would it be released on Friday or is there a possibility of it being released tomorrow or Thursday because i have heard that has happened in the past?

If it has happened in the past, I don't think its happened recently. For the most part, they seem to be pretty consistent on releasing it on the day they said they would.

You can't switch sites. But if you get like your third choice, you are put on the waitlist for first and second choices, so you could end up getting bumped up once the waitlist moved if that makes sense. The only way you can "switch" is if you get offered NOT your first choice, you can choose to accept that choice and be taken off waistlist for other choices. 

So is it possible to be offered NOT first choice and then stay on the waitlist while holding the NOT first choice acceptance or do you have to make a decision in a week like everyone else?

Is it possible that it could be a situation in which you would reject the NOT first choice acceptance in lieu of waitlist for your higher preferences and then end up not being accepted at either?

So is it possible to be offered NOT first choice and then stay on the waitlist while holding the NOT first choice acceptance or do you have to make a decision in a week like everyone else?

Is it possible that it could be a situation in which you would reject the NOT first choice acceptance in lieu of waitlist for your higher preferences and then end up not being accepted at either?

If you look at their blog and go back to last year, they do have a post about typical waitlist questions, and it will answer most of the points that people are bringing up. 

But basically, YES and YES 

Archived