Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ShootingStar99

Undergraduate Degree In Anticipation For Medical School

Hey everyone!

I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions regarding an undergraduate degree at McGill before pursuing to Med School. Are there any majors that are more popular among aspiring physicians? If you've been through an undergrad before med school, which one was it and could you give some insight (work load, experience, classes...)?

Thanks in advance :-) 

Hey everyone!

I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions regarding an undergraduate degree at McGill before pursuing to Med School. Are there any majors that are more popular among aspiring physicians? If you've been through an undergrad before med school, which one was it and could you give some insight (work load, experience, classes...)?

Thanks in advance :-) 

Helpful tip. Go into something that interests YOU. It's easier to do well when you actually enjoy what you're studying

For McGill I considered pharmacology, physiology and microbio/immuno. I have equal interest for all of them! :)

Any insight to give on these majors?

The study of physiology & pharmacology are closely related. The latter is used when the former goes wrong.

Microbiology & Immunology is a more distinct area of study.

The actual work done in each of these majors is different enough such that your interest in them shouldn't be equal. Take a closer look at each before choosing one. Good luck.

One of the majors that is fairly easy at McGill is def Anatomy and cell bio. If you do plan on applying to the Quebec French schools as well at the end of your BSc you might want to consider other majors that are more competitive to get in like OT, PT, Nutrition etc. 

Good luck! 

Do something you enjoy and can do well in. No med school actually cares what you pursue!

The French schools actually REALLY do care what program you pursue. Choosing certain programs (esp. non-sci ones) is essentially the kiss of death for med acceptance even if you have all necessary prerequisite courses. 

Thanks for your responses! :D

For McGill I considered pharmacology, physiology and microbio/immuno. I have equal interest for all of them! :)

Any insight to give on these majors?

Thank you all again :)

Pharma and MIMM easy enough, I heard bad things about Phgy.

One of the majors that is fairly easy at McGill is def Anatomy and cell bio. If you do plan on applying to the Quebec French schools as well at the end of your BSc you might want to consider other majors that are more competitive to get in like OT, PT, Nutrition etc. 

Good luck! 

Also this ^^^^. If youre thinking of applying to the French schools this is the best advice you can get.

Oh wow I had no idea. Most schools across Canada do not care, and pre requisites have slowly been fading away as requirements too (studies have shown no correlation between degree of study and success in medical school). Didn't know that the french schools were invested in this good to know!