Premed 101 Forums

Most "competitive" Ontario Fam Med Programs

Anyone know which residency programs for fam med in Ontario are the most competitive to get into, relatively speaking?

I saw that Queens takes like 20 CMGs or less a year and I'm wondering if it's worth doing an elective there to increase my chances of matching to Ontario. When I saw that stat, I realized that may not be the best strategy to match into Ontario...  especially if my number one goal is to match into Ottawa. Ideally I would do electives in all schools but not possible for me. Thoughts?

Toronto is the most competitive program to get into. Toronto always fills up in first iteration because it's Toronto (many people with attachments to the city or wanting to live in the city). Ottawa has had left-over spots going into second iteration.

Queen's takes far more than 20 CMGs per year, they've got 56 CMG spots. Many of these are open to the military stream, but that's more a matter of classification, most will be filled by regular CMGs. Also, if you're trying to do an elective for Queen's FM, apply early or not at all. They have very few elective spots, if any, for non-Queen's students. Doesn't matter much for matching there, they don't put much emphasis on doing an elective there, if they care at all.

The most competitive FM program is Toronto, no question.

If you want to match into Ottawa Family Medicine, I would suggest that you do an elective there.

Knowing a few people who matched to Ottawa FM in the second iteration without any FM electives as CMGs, I think that your chance of matching to Ottawa is very high as a motivated med student!

I wouldn't stress too much about it, try to enjoy clerkship :P

I am from a French medical school, and I got all the FM interviews in Ontario without any electives besides at UofT. I think that you will be fine :)

Anyone know which residency programs for fam med in Ontario are the most competitive to get into, relatively speaking?

I saw that Queens takes like 20 CMGs or less a year and I'm wondering if it's worth doing an elective there to increase my chances of matching to Ontario. When I saw that stat, I realized that may not be the best strategy to match into Ontario...  especially if my number one goal is to match into Ottawa. Ideally I would do electives in all schools but not possible for me. Thoughts?

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, cookacola said:

Can anyone comment on the competitiveness of Western's family med spots?

The regional program, located in the smaller towns near London, is quite competitive, with many people ranking it first and not getting it. The FM program on the whole isn't that competitive though. Not counting the odd rural spot, it fills the CMG spots pretty much every year so someone who wants a Western FM spot is likely getting rejected, but anecdotally pretty much everyone I knew who ranked Western FM highly got a spot.

Archived