Premed 101 Forums

Schulich Dentistry Class Of 2021 Accepted/waitlisted/rejected

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just called admissions. They said it only moved 1-2 spots a couple of weeks ago but the class is currently full at 56 spots. They won't know who isn't actually in classes after August 29th (white coat ceremony), so they will email everyone on waitlist whether the cycle is over after that. 

I'm still on HWL and I haven't been called (the 1 still waiting that Winnipeg9416 mentioned previously). 

22 hours ago, _s_ said:

Just called admissions. They said it only moved 1-2 spots a couple of weeks ago but the class is currently full at 56 spots. They won't know who isn't actually in classes after August 29th (white coat ceremony), so they will email everyone on waitlist whether the cycle is over after that. 

I'm still on HWL and I haven't been called (the 1 still waiting that Winnipeg9416 mentioned previously). 

Wait so people who paid their first instalment and then don't end up going to the ceremony?

In the Class of 2020 there was somebody accepted the day after white coat & in the Class of 2019 there were a couple of people that got accepted off the WL around August 20th (according to this forum). It is impossible to predict what will happen in the next 2 weeks (in terms of WL movement), but I wouldn't say it's a certainty that the WL will not move any more. At most, I think it's still possible for the 2 left on the HWL to hear back. I can't imagine it moving anymore than that though.

1 hour ago, DentalFoodie said:

Why is there such a difference between how UofT's list is moving vs western (not moving)? 

It could be that since Western looks at your ECs and shadowing is a big part of it, its becoming harder for students who are gunning for med to get in as a backup, so the class is composed of people who actually want to dentistry and not just use it as a backup. Whereas UofT only looks at GPA and DAT so a lot of premeds can still get in relatively easily. 

Considering the fact that UofT's class size is 40 greater than Western, UofT will have a lot more waitlist movement. I think Western sold itself as a great program. Also, I think people who get into Western fit into a mold that is a bit more unique compared to other dental applicants which are more stats-heavy. Western DDS students typically now need good ECs/shadowing/essays which self-selects for a group of individuals who may do well on these categories but may be not as strong in stats like those who get into UofT. This is just pure speculation though.

Archived