Premed 101 Forums

Pt Or Bachelor's Of Science

GV1998

Hi there, 

As I wait for Med-P replies, I need to confirm a back up. I got accepted to PT and a Bsc in physiology. Although, PT would look great and interests me more, I heard it's a little difficult to maintain a high GPA to later apply to Med. 

What are your thoughts? 

Thanks! 

Hi,

So PT is a Bachelors of Science. With this program you really need to max out your GPA within the first two years, as you can play with the courses you pick only in those first two years. I've heard from friends that a BSc in physiology is far from easy, as such, if you're looking for something that's in the faculty of science then I would go with Anatomy and cell bio instead. Keep in mind that as a PT student you are a student of the faculty of medicine and that gives you access to some opportunities you might not have as a faculty of science undergrad. I was a PT undergrad and got in at McGill this year - so it's definitely possible. Message me if you have more questions. 

I would personally do PT - a few reasons: 1. You'll be qualified as a professional and could work after finishing the degree if you're not successful in medicine! This is big! The bachelor in physiology will definitely not open as many doors that way (I have a masters in science and job hunting was super hard); 2. The practical experience - if medicine is your goal being in a profession where you can actually work with patients will help solidify your career goals and also expose you to all HCPs so you can see if medicine is something you truly want - having clinical experience will set you apart and also give you more context about everyone's roles and how HCPs collaborate; 3. When talking about grades I mean physiology is arguably one of the hardest undergrads, so if you're going to be doing either degree and working your ass off to maintain grades, I think it would be better to do one that at least a gives you a pretty decent paying job once you're done!

Oh and edit* I'm not sure if the bachelors in PT actually qualifies you to work but I'm assuming it's similar to Med P in that you follow the same professional undergraduate trajectory. If I'm wrong lemme know

Just to clarify you do need to complete a master's of applied sciences to be able to practice as a PT anywhere in Canada. But that usually consist of clinical stages and a research project as well as some more specialized courses.  Just like bellejolie, I do think PT is the way to go here & it'll definitely be at your advantage if you decide to apply to the French med schools by the end of your bachelors. 

Archived