Premed 101 Forums

What Are My Chances?

Hello everyone!

I had never really considered NOSM as an interesting choice up until now. I lived in northern regions of Quebec for some years when I was in high school (about the latitude of Smooth Rock Falls) and I was born and raised in a slightly less remote but still rural community (2h north of the closest small urban center). I have also lived in urban areas (population ~150k-200k), but never in densely populated cities (Montreal, Toronto, etc). Because of this, I am somewhat familiar with the differences between remote and urban communities in terms of lifestyle and culture. I thrive the most in a community with a strong artistic and culturally diversified population, and I have always felt that northern and remote regions don't offer as much in this regard. Maybe I'm wrong! I don't know the community of Northern Ontario, and perhaps Sudbury would surprise me.

I just watched this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU3LE3vPt_4&t=2s) and it almost convinced me that practicing in remote regions might be a very rewarding experience. This feeling is quite surprising to me, and I am now considering applying to NOSM. What do you think of my chances?

GPA

OMSAS equivalent : Not sure since I have yet to receive an official conversion by wes.org for my French international transcripts, but I would say 3.72-3.78. I have a masters, so NOSM would give me at least 3.9.

Education

- Master's degree in Engineering.

- Undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering.

- Native language is French.

Research

- Coauthor for a paper in 2016 published in "Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society" on stroke rehabilitation.

- Worked as a research professional in multidisciplinary teams developing intelligent and powered orthoses and exoskeletons for injury rehabilitation and strength amplification. (~1.5 yr)

- Masters research on the development of a new kind of solar power plant, partly confidential so no publications. (~3.5 yr)

- Undergraduate research assistant working in aeroacoustics to reduce the overall intensity and optimize the perceived tonal quality of HVAC sounds in passenger trains. (4 months)

Awards

2012 - Scholarship : Joseph-Armand Bombardier. (graduate, 18 000$, largest scholarship of the faculty)

2011 - Certificate : Academic Excellence.

2010 - Certificate : Academic Excellence.

2010 - Scholarship : NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Award. (undergraduate, 4 500$)

2008 - Scholarship : MELS Short-Term University Studies Outside Quebec. (~5 600$)

Extracurricular

- Brief Shadowing in Internal Medicine.

- Technical director for a student project developing a new energy source for West African villages. (2 yr)

- "Karma Yoga" every week at a local yoga center, which basically means helping out making the center run smoothly. (1 yr+)

- Involved in a local writing club with a slight therapeutic aim. (~7 months)

- Involved at a local hospital in the construction of a vegetables garden with a therapeutic purpose.

- Studied and worked in Europe. (1 year total)

- Recently tied for 2nd place in my category at a provincial chess tournament.

- Organized a fund-raiser in the form of a swing dancing event/competition for the Quebec Cancer Foundation. 

- Member of the University's Cross Country Skiing Team. (2 yr)

Maybe some others things that I'm forgetting... What are your thoughts?

Also, I lived 3 years in Ontario while in high school so some universities like McMaster would consider me as IP. What about NOSM?

I feel like I have reasonably good chances for NOSM, but since I spent only a couple of years in the North, I don't know how that would negatively impact my candidacy.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived