Premed 101 Forums

Confused About Some Of My Options For A Future Application

Hi,

Apologies in advance for the long post. I'm super confused about what to do and don't know anyone IRL who can help. As the title suggests, I'm currently considering a few options for my application into med school. 

Here are my stats:

UofT - 3.7 OMSAS cGPA,  3.85 Omsas cGPA last 2 years. MCAT:: 130/129/131/128 total= 518

Some Major EC: 2 hospital volunteers (2 years), 5 labs (1 year each), 1 Thesis ( worried about this as my mark was an 83, average for course was 85 - prof is a dick), and 2 publications. 2 bs clubs.

Course load was not full, and I don't have prereqs like biochem. 

As you can see, my GPA is low, and my MCAT scores aren't high, so I didn't apply in September 2016. 

Current options:
- I got into a Master's at UofT in CSB, so I could apply after doing this Master's. But, while in my CSB Master's I can also do the following and switch to 'better' master's programs:
               - applying to a PA (Phys assist) program, doing 2 years if I get in, and then applying to Med after

- applying to a clinical Psych master's, and then applying to med after

The reason why I wanna switch from my CSB master's into these is because they offer jobs if I fail to get into med. 
               - I also have an offer for a Master's at LMP at UofT as well, but they need me to do some prereqs before I start but offer 1 more                           possible publication than my current CSB one, and its more clinical based. This would also waste another year but is a 'better'                             Master's. 

So essentially, my series of questions are:

1.) The classic question that triggers everyone: With a Master's from CSB, and my current stats, does it look like I have a shot at UofT med or Western?

2.) The ungrateful question: Would it be beneficial to spend the extra semester (and waste another year) to do the prereqs for the LMP master's at UofT and get better, more clinical based publications? 

3.) Anticipating failure question: Would being in a clinical master's like Cpsych or PA be beneficial for applying because I could fall back on a usable degree and have more clinical experience for my med school app? 

Thanks in advance =D, and again apologies if this was long or if my questions are stupid. 

A 518 on the MCAT is excellent - definitely shouldn't have held you back from applying and it's fairly evenly distributed. 

I would recommend one of two options: either do additional undergrad courses or do a master's degree that would give you a viable fall-back job. If you did quite well on one more full year of undergrad, how would that affect your GPA? I don't think a master's alone will significantly improve your application as most schools just give you a bonus percent (individual schools vary), but the experience and possible publications you get also help. 

Thanks for the replies! 

My post is completely useless but if the average was 85, the prof was not a dick  ;)

Sigh this is what I'm worried about. Its not one professor grading a whole class. The prof you work with gives their student a mark. 

A 518 on the MCAT is excellent - definitely shouldn't have held you back from applying and it's fairly evenly distributed. 

I would recommend one of two options: either do additional undergrad courses or do a master's degree that would give you a viable fall-back job. If you did quite well on one more full year of undergrad, how would that affect your GPA? I don't think a master's alone will significantly improve your application as most schools just give you a bonus percent (individual schools vary), but the experience and possible publications you get also help. 

Right that makes sense, I'm looking at possible courses I could take to get into those Master's. Thanks so much for your advice =D!  

Archived