Premed 101 Forums

Performed Poorly In All 5 Interviews... Please Help!

On 5/16/2017 at 2:49 PM, Pippa756 said:

Interview prep is really, really tough to get right. IMHO you need to be careful how and with who you do your practice with as you need to be practicing and developing the 'right skills'. Remember even if someone has aced an MMI in the past it does not mean that necessarily understand what makes for a successful MMI performance. Definitely research and look into management of nerves and anxieties. I found 'The Sound of Your Voice' by Dr. Carol fleming really helpful for getting rid of 'ums' and other vocal ticks so I felt much more confident with delivery. Understanding the interview format and being able to quickly identify question types will help you so much, you can find lots of info about that online (found this blog helpful as a starting point for my MMI prep -  https://bemoacademicconsulting.com/blog/multiple-mini-interview-mmi). Also, make sure you are working on your non-verbal skills as well - lots of people forget this! Also, had a friend who was a HR consultant, very experienced as an interviewer, and she really stressed yogic breathing practices as her best tip to anyone who asked her how best to prepare for an interview - lol. Best of luck with your preparations! :-)  

Thanks for this link - really helpful and found some sample questions on the website which has been really helpful.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/14/2017 at 1:49 AM, Lactic Folly said:

Did you do any practice interviews speaking out loud? Try videotaping yourself for feedback? Get input from others who've heard you speak?

Given that you yourself felt your answers were disorganized, this may well be the problem. What you see as 'a bit rambly,' others may see as lack of clarity in communication. What you see as 'staged,' others may see as evidence of someone who has worked hard to be well prepared. (This is the context of interview questions that call for structured answers - I agree it is not desirable to come across as insincere.)

Just some food for thought. Overall, you want to come across as a mature (for one's age), poised, articulate future professional. Good news is that this is a skill that can definitely be improved with practice/coaching, and does not reflect on your morals/personality.

Hi Lactic Folley with the videotaping, great tip BTW, what were you looking out for when you began to assess yourself? Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived