Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

I'm starting to prepare for Casper and looking ahead, the only 2 test dates that Dal will accept for casper are Aug 15 and 20.

 

Does anyone know if I write the test on the 15th and also apply to Ontario schools, will I have to do the test again? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like Dal has also added the following now: 

 

"Applicants CASPer score must be greater than 1.5 standard deviations below the applicant category mean or their application will not be considered."

 

Does anyone know exactly what this means?  Using the MCAT which has a mean of 500 and 1.5x standard deviations is ~15,  does that mean that Dal would reject all applicants who did not score above 515?  If so that's crazy!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

other way around no? greater than 1.5 STD BELOW the mean? That would if I am reading it right only knock off the bottom 13% or so of the applicants. Put another way it would you have to score less than 1.5 STD below the mean to get kicked out. 

If I am reading that right it would not be of itself that extreme of an impact (of course it would be for those actually eliminated) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Applicants CASPer score must be greater than 1.5 standard deviations below the applicant category mean or their application will not be considered."

Dal released this information when they came out that CASPer would be introduced back in ~ January. The 1.5 standard deviation is referring specifically to the CASPer component. Thus, an applicant must score within 1.5 standard deviations of the applicant category mean on CASPer for their application to be considered. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. The 1.5 standard deviations only applies to CASPer. 

Dal has separate MCAT cut-offs which have increased since last cycle if I'm not mistaken. Maritime cutoff is a 503, with only one 124 allowed. OOP is 506 with only one section score of 125 allowed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The actual score is taken into consideration as well and will be translated into a score out of 10 (not sure on what score range equates to what value). Using old MCAT scores (because I don't know how Dal scores for the new MCAT), an overall score of 30 would convert to an 8/10 based on information they provided in a previous rejection letter.

That MCAT score gets combined with scores for GPA, interview, and essay/supplemental to give something out of 100 which is used for decisions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's harsh. I have my MCAT booked on August 19th solely because of DAL. And I have to take CASPer 24 hours later with no prep, then have that score sent to Mac and Ottawa just because of DAL's Deadline..... That is too much sacrifice for an OOP school for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VINCHER said:

That's harsh. I have my MCAT booked on August 19th solely because of DAL. And I have to take CASPer 24 hours later with no prep, then have that score sent to Mac and Ottawa just because of DAL's Deadline..... That is too much sacrifice for an OOP school for me. 

Then don't apply to Dal and prioritize Mac and Ottawa. Be smart with your apps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, since this is the first year Dal is using CASPer, are most people just going to do the test cold turkey without any preparation?  I'm hoping that's the case because it will help those of us that have been preparing in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, vikym said:

Also, since this is the first year Dal is using CASPer, are most people just going to do the test cold turkey without any preparation?  I'm hoping that's the case because it will help those of us that have been preparing in advance.

Why would people applying to Dal not prepare for CASPer? Many people who apply to Dal are also applying broadly, and need to do well since you only get one test a year. Not exactly a supportive attitude there bud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SoraAde said:

Actually, at the Mac info session they gave this year, they said that you are able to rewrite CASPer for Mac only if you wrote in August to apply to Dal. Not sure about Ottawa though.

does that mean you have the option of writing CASPer twice then? 1x for Dal and 1x for Mac?  strange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:50 PM, Chels1267 said:

Why would people applying to Dal not prepare for CASPer? Many people who apply to Dal are also applying broadly, and need to do well since you only get one test a year. Not exactly a supportive attitude there bud.

 

A lot of people on this forum tell applicants not to prepare for CASPer.  Personally I love it when I see comments like that because then they go in and realize oh .oh ..  this is a lot harder than I thought, and run out of time on all sections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vikym said:

 

A lot of people on this forum tell applicants not to prepare for CASPer.  Personally I love it when I see comments like that because then they go in and realize oh .oh ..  this is a lot harder than I thought, and run out of time on all sections.

I get what you're saying, I was pointing out that your attitude in saying that is not exactly friendly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Chels1267 said:

I get what you're saying, I was pointing out that your attitude in saying that is not exactly friendly.

It's a competitive process and my goal is to get accepted, not to come across as being friendly.  I have no idea why premeds tell other premeds what they do about CASPer but I'm not going to complain. I think it should be encouraged. 

May the best candidate be successful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vikym said:

It's a competitive process and my goal is to get accepted, not to come across as being friendly.  I have no idea why premeds tell other premeds what they do about CASPer but I'm not going to complain. I think it should be encouraged. 

May the best candidate be successful. 

I get that it's a competitive process. I applied 3 times before I was accepted into medicine. 

Did that stop me from honestly helping my fellow applicants with interview prep, supplemental essays, or general advice? Not at all. 

You always hear the stereotype of the "do anything to succeed gunner". From all of the premeds I had ever interacted with, to the current physicians I know, none had that type of attitude. It's extremely disheartening to see that those attitudes really do exist.

That said, I wish you and all of the applicants this cycle the best of luck. But help each other out and aim for success together rather than hoping for each other's failure.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2017 at 2:57 PM, vikym said:

It's a competitive process and my goal is to get accepted, not to come across as being friendly.  I have no idea why premeds tell other premeds what they do about CASPer but I'm not going to complain. I think it should be encouraged. 

May the best candidate be successful. 

With your typical immature pre-med attitude I hope you don't get in. At least not at Dal. 

With your attitude you might be better off in commerce... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×