Premed 101 Forums

Ubc Med Post Interview Survey For Accepted, Waitlisted And Rejected Applicants

Hey all,

A SURVEY is now up for those interested in sharing their applicantion stats how they did this 2016/2017 cycle to UBC Medicine. Instead of scouring all the pages of the Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

thread for info on past applications, I made a google form to complete below. It is for previous applicants who have received an interview. Summary data of all the responses will be shared after completing the form, so hopefully this will become an additional resource in addition to that premed101 thread!

Link - https://goo.gl/forms/8JHkLqmGu5PnlhED3

Hopefully this will help us better understand what competitive applications look like, and how to better improve when applying next year. Unfortunately I was rejected after interview this year, and hopefully others who have also been rejected can contribute to better understand what we can improve. If you have been accepted, congratulations, your response is also needed despite the lack for info for NAQ and interview scores. If you have finally been accepted after multiple attempts (like most people), please enter in your unsuccessful attempts as well since they would be a major help to those who were in the same shoes as a second,third,fourth ...time applicant. If you've been waitlisted then rejected, your information is the most vital of all!!! Since you must have been in the top 60 or so (an estimate, since UBC won't actually release the size of the waitlist) applicants who have concrete data in what makes a great application.

Below is my results from my application this year. It can also be found on the survey after you have submitted your response. Hope it helps. To other applicants planning to reapply, hopefully this will allow us to be better next cycle. To those who have gotten in, congratulations, feel free to contribute if you would like to share your app info and lend us a hand.

Cycle: 2016/2017

Result: Rejected

Geo: IP

aGPA: 87

AQ: 26.28

NAQ: 29

TFR: 55.28

MCAT: 502 (127/125/126/124 Chem/CARS/Bio/Psych)

Interview: Above Average

ECs: Club work, some clinical research, humanitarian/community projects from end of high school though Uni. 2 entry level jobs stints. ~2 years of ER volunteering

Wow its rare to see a rejection with an above average interview. Your GPA and NAQ are decent as well. I wonder if this gives some indication as to the level of importance the MCAT has on the final review (i.e. not just cutoffs, but taken as an integral component of final scoring)?

I'll add some data to the survey when I get home.

That really scares me...

I also have a low MCAT and I was rejected post-interview (with below avg interview score though).

Makes me wonder whether or not I'd make it next year (without retaking my MCAT) if I do well on my interview...

Could it be a problem with your reference letters? 

With a 55 TFR he was probably borderline accepted and they picked someone else because of his lower MCAT scores.

I disagree. Even though a 55 TFR is decent and obviously good enough to get an interview, it is not a super strong score (the average for accepted students is 62 or something if I'm not mistaken). And I'm sure that MCAT is weighed A LOT more than just to be a tie-breaker. OP's low MCAT is probably the MAIN reason behind their rejection.

Wow its rare to see a rejection with an above average interview. Your GPA and NAQ are decent as well. I wonder if this gives some indication as to the level of importance the MCAT has on the final review (i.e. not just cutoffs, but taken as an integral component of final scoring)?

There are quite a few people over the years with rejections that had above avg interviews.

Definitely a bit of a downer to read this...

where did you find the stat on the TFR average?

I disagree. Even though a 55 TFR is decent and obviously good enough to get an interview, it is not a super strong score (the average for accepted students is 62 or something if I'm not mistaken). And I'm sure that MCAT is weighed A LOT more than just to be a tie-breaker. OP's low MCAT is probably the MAIN reason behind their rejection.

Your opinion is meaningless. Do everyone a favour and stop speculating. You're causing people to get anxious over information which may or may not be accurate. Last year I was rejected with a TFR score that just made the cut-off. This year I was accepted and didn't add much to my application. I also have a 29 MCAT with a 7 in verbal. A very close friend of mine was also accepted with a 25 MCAT this cycle.

Your opinion is meaningless. Do everyone a favour and stop speculating. You're causing people to get anxious over information which may or may not be accurate. Last year I was rejected with a TFR score that just made the cut-off. This year I was accepted and didn't add much to my application. I also have a 29 MCAT with a 7 in verbal. A very close friend of mine was also accepted with a 25 MCAT this cycle.

I had a 27 MCAT with also a 7 in verbal and I was accepted as well. 

Sorry if my post caused any distress. I was just trying to help everyone reading and thought that being realistic albeit a bit harsh is more useful than possibly giving false hope. I believe OP's above average interview can possibly make up for their low MCAT to some extent but they are gonna have a much easier time next year with a slightly stronger MCAT score (505-507ish) if they choose to rewrite the MCAT. :) it's a game of numbers after all.

Hey all,

A SURVEY is now up for those interested in sharing their applicantion stats how they did this 2016/2017 cycle to UBC Medicine. Instead of scouring all the pages of the Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

thread for info on past applications, I made a google form to complete below. It is for previous applicants who have received an interview. Summary data of all the responses will be shared after completing the form, so hopefully this will become an additional resource in addition to that premed101 thread!

Link - https://goo.gl/forms/8JHkLqmGu5PnlhED3

Hopefully this will help us better understand what competitive applications look like, and how to better improve when applying next year. Unfortunately I was rejected after interview this year, and hopefully others who have also been rejected can contribute to better understand what we can improve. If you have been accepted, congratulations, your response is also needed despite the lack for info for NAQ and interview scores. If you have finally been accepted after multiple attempts (like most people), please enter in your unsuccessful attempts as well since they would be a major help to those who were in the same shoes as a second,third,fourth ...time applicant. If you've been waitlisted then rejected, your information is the most vital of all!!! Since you must have been in the top 60 or so (an estimate, since UBC won't actually release the size of the waitlist) applicants who have concrete data in what makes a great application.

Below is my results from my application this year. It can also be found on the survey after you have submitted your response. Hope it helps. To other applicants planning to reapply, hopefully this will allow us to be better next cycle. To those who have gotten in, congratulations, feel free to contribute if you would like to share your app info and lend us a hand.

Cycle: 2016/2017

Result: Rejected

Geo: IP

aGPA: 87

AQ: 26.28

NAQ: 29

TFR: 55.28

MCAT: 502 (127/125/126/124 Chem/CARS/Bio/Psych)

Interview: Above Average

ECs: Club work, some clinical research, humanitarian/community projects from end of high school though Uni. 2 entry level jobs stints. ~2 years of ER volunteering

I have no idea how heavily the MCAT is weighted post-interview, but I suspect the rejection was more a combination of factors rather than exclusively due to the MCAT. 

Although Shribblet had an above average interview, they were slightly below average compared to the pool of in-province people invited to interview in every other aspect: AQ = 26.28 when the average was 27.48; NAQ = 29 when the average was 30.77, and an MCAT score of 502 when the average for last years successful applicants was 515. 

I would encourage both Shribblet and everyone reading this thread not to stress too much. I genuinely believe that the admission process is wholistic and in this case, it seems that an above average interview wasn't enough to compensate for slightly below average stats in other areas - so improving a little bit in both NAQ and MCAT (and possibly AQ if you choose to take more courses) would likely go a long way :)

That's what i mean. 55 is only a few points above the interview cut off. His interview wasn't enough to compensate despite being above average. Also I think the average TFR for those interviewed IP was 58-59 or something. 

Does anyone think retaking the MCAT for the 4th time over the years will affect my application negatively? I really want a 10+ Verbal reasoning score, I am IP for UofC as well but I can't get a interview because of my 9 VR each and every single time I've taken that damn exam.

That's what i mean. 55 is only a few points above the interview cut off. His interview wasn't enough to compensate despite being above average. Also I think the average TFR for those interviewed IP was 58-59 or something. 

Does anyone think retaking the MCAT for the 4th time over the years will affect my application negatively? I really want a 10+ Verbal reasoning score, I am IP for UofC as well but I can't get a interview because of my 9 VR each and every single time I've taken that damn exam.

I never wrote the old test, but I know a few people who did. Some found CARS easier than VR, some found it harder.

I think it would be worth a shot to see how the new MCAT treats you. As far as I know, most Canadian schools don't hold multiple MCATs against you so the main downside to writing it repeatedly is if you might want to apply to US schools as I think most look negatively on rewrites. 

Sorry that was the score I was referring to (59.33), and sorry if I misunderstood your post.

Most American schools care a lot about the number of attempts for MCAT, but UBC does not. However, I am not sure about U of C tho. You might have better luck asking in that thread.

Anyami, I really doubt that you are not getting an interview because of your MCAT score, especially because you are an IP applicant. 

Spend your time working on Top10.

Best of Luck :) 

The new MCAT is throwing me off a bit, could anyone comment on what is considered a "good" MCAT score? Should I consider a rewrite of my 512 (129 CARS) score? I am slightly below average on both AQ and NAQ (of interviewed applicants), and scored below average on the interview this year.

I think there are no magic number for what is good enough of a score to get in. Some people have gotten in with low MCAT and some have been rejected with high ones. I think it's more of a question of what could you realistically improve for your application. If you have the time to study for it, and consistently do well on the practice tests to make improvements to your score then I would defintely go for it. Every little bit of improvement can only help :)

I think there are no magic number for what is good enough of a score to get in. Some people have gotten in with low MCAT and some have been rejected with high ones. I think it's more of a question of what could you realistically improve for your application. If you have the time to study for it, and consistently do well on the practice tests to make improvements to your score then I would defintely go for it. Every little bit of improvement can only help :)

Yeah that's a good point. I haven't been familiar with the material for years and am not sure if I can find the time this summer to make a good attempt at it, so I may be better off focusing on improving the interview and the wording on my NAQ. Hmm...

Archived