Premed 101 Forums

Ip Applicant With 2 Years Of Bad Undergrad

Hello all.. did undergrad @ UBC but have lived in Saskatoon for 15 years(like exactly, wasn't even planned!)

I will likely be beginning a masters program this september but I really want to aim for UofS medicine. I have an 83% average on my last 60 credits in a psychology major with electives in biology and kinesiology. I also worked closely under a tenured professor and have coauthorship of a paper under review.

My issue is I majorly(pun intended) screwed up by doing horribly in 2 years of computer science. Like Ws and 60%s. From there I did 4 years of the aforementioned undergrad and still have been accepted to grad school but with much work to convince the faculty of my academic skill. 

My question is... With good grades in my Masters, plus maybe some more specialized biology and chemistry undergrad courses in the summers to supplement MCAT scores... do I stand a chance?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi const,

Sounds like you are on a pretty solid academic tragectory now, well done.

In terms of finding out if you stand a chance, I think there are lots of things to consider.  First, if you calculate you undergraduate average- including the first two years, do you meet the minimum GPA requirement? If you do, then, what is your MCAT score? Your MCAT score can help to offset your average to some degree. 

Unfortunately, the U of S doesn't consider academic achievement/CV details so your research will not be of much use to you. However, if you do well on the MCAT and get over the minimum requirement for GPA then you stand a good shot of getting an interview at least. 

Also, FYI, If you finish your master's before December, they will remove your lowest transcript grade.

hope that helps.

Archived