Premed 101 Forums

How Strict Are American Med Schools On Prerequisites?

So I'm going into my second year at UofT this fall, and I'm trying to plan out my course load for this year and next year so I meet the pre-reqs to apply to as many med schools as possible, including all of the Top Ivy Schools (Harvard, Yale etc.)

I should be able to or already have satisfied the math, chem, bio and physics requirements. However, some of the schools have requirements like One Year of English. The University of Toronto only allows you to take 6 FCE's at the 100-level (first year level courses), and between my two majors and all of the math/chem/bio/physics/psychology requirements, I will be using up all of my 100-level course spots, so I physically can't fit in a full year of english (the course is ENG100). 

So my question is, how strict are med schools on the pre-reqs? And if they're not completely strict, how much of a disadvantage would I be at if I didn't meet one of their requirements?

Thanks in advance.

If you don't have the pre-requisite courses, or are not planning on completing them, it is safe to say that unless the school is willing to give an exemption***, you will not be accepted there. That being said, many schools are switching to a competency based model, meaning that you can get accepted without pre-requisite courses, assuming that you can demonstrate that you possess the knowledge required. Assuming a decent MCAT score, and being able to demonstrate through a secondary application or during the interview process, that you possess the required knowledge, this won't be a problem for those schools. If you intend on attending a school that requires a year of english however, you should find a way to take a full year of English. I know some people have successfully used Athabaska in the past, or have taken a summer course at a different university. Remember that if English is your only outstanding pre-requisite, the vast majority of schools will allow you to take the course during your year of application, as long as you indicate to the schools that you are taking the course. However, it is my understanding that if you do not complete this course, or indicate that you will complete it before matriculation, your application will be rejected.

Some schools that have switched to a competency based admissions system: (As an Example, use MSAR to get the rest)

Albert Einstein School of Medicine

Pritzker School of Medicine at UChicago

Perelman School of Medicine at UPenn

***I am unaware of anyone ever successfully being granted an exemption for a course for a US medical school. DO NOT rely on this.

First of all, you can take more 1st year courses at U of T, they just won't be counted toward your GPA (note: it won't count toward your U of T GPA but will count toward OMSAS).

Secondly, you can take 2nd year+ English courses which don't have prerequisites, and this will satisfy the requirement for US schools. 

So I'm going into my second year at UofT this fall, and I'm trying to plan out my course load for this year and next year so I meet the pre-reqs to apply to as many med schools as possible, including all of the Top Ivy Schools (Harvard, Yale etc.)

I should be able to or already have satisfied the math, chem, bio and physics requirements. However, some of the schools have requirements like One Year of English. The University of Toronto only allows you to take 6 FCE's at the 100-level (first year level courses), and between my two majors and all of the math/chem/bio/physics/psychology requirements, I will be using up all of my 100-level course spots, so I physically can't fit in a full year of english (the course is ENG100). 

So my question is, how strict are med schools on the pre-reqs? And if they're not completely strict, how much of a disadvantage would I be at if I didn't meet one of their requirements?

Thanks in advance.

I took some courses in the summer, and 6 courses in some semesters. I think you also can take online courses at other universities.

Archived