Premed 101 Forums

I am Christian and faith plays a big role in my life as well.  

I always made sure I separated my professional life from my personal faith life, however, recently, I am becoming more and more comfortable talking about my faith at work with my clients who tell me they are Christian.  Last week, I was bold enough to ask one of my clients if it is okay to hold her hand and pray with her about her situation once she told me that she was Christian.  I felt that faith was another appropriate way to help that particular client at that moment, especially because she was feeling quite hopeless. Currently, I am quite comfortable talking about my faith with my Christian clients, but I would not share my faith with my interviewers mainly because they may not understand where I am coming from.

However, I do know that if I become a doctor and I find an opportunity to talk about faith to encourage or comfort someone or pray with someone, I would definitely do it.  

Best of Luck :) I hope you ace your interviews :)

I referenced my involvement in youth group and church associated volunteer work during my interview and got accepted to UBC even though the interviewer most likely could infer that I was Christian based on the activities I was describing :) I think that most people involved in the admission process are well trained to minimize bias. 

In general, it would be best to be 100% sure that any mention of faith specifically relates to the the question being asked and focus any discussion on the activities/volunteer work you did rather than your personal journey soul searching:  i.e. talk about how growing as a person gave you motivation to become more involved in church activities and in turn how those activities helped you develop even further. This advice is just based on what I think is good interview technique more so than out of concern that the interviewer may be biased. 

1 hour ago, OwnerOfTheTARDIS said:

I referenced my involvement in youth group and church associated volunteer work during my interview and got accepted to UBC even though the interviewer most likely could infer that I was Christian based on the activities I was describing :) I think that most people involved in the admission process are well trained to minimize bias. 

In general, it would be best to be 100% sure that any mention of faith specifically relates to the the question being asked and focus any discussion on the activities/volunteer work you did rather than your personal journey soul searching:  i.e. talk about how growing as a person gave you motivation to become more involved in church activities and in turn how those activities helped you develop even further. This advice is just based on what I think is good interview technique more so than out of concern that the interviewer may be biased. 

I agree; only share experiences when it is appropriate to do so.

I am heavily involved in my christian church and have been since my childhood. I believe it played a huge role in my resilience, leadership and social development. At first, I was scared to talk about my faith and role in my church and was questioning if I should include what I have done for my christian community in my ABS in OMSAS. I figured its too great a part of my life for me to omit it. I decided to lay it all out and even have my pastor as a reference. When appropriate, I spoke about my faith and my role in my church in my recent interview this year. Also, within that same interview, when ethical situations came up I kept a conservative moral stance that reflected my christian values. After all that, I was scared that it would hold me back, seeing the way the world is quite progressive. It did not! I was accepted! :)

Moral of the story, your faith makes you different but not inferior. Be who you are wholly; it may set you apart.

Archived